Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Default Re: background data....seriously not happy

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I really wish we could disable Backup Assistant. It's one of the few bloatware apps that can't be disabled. Anyone who uses it should seriously consider migrating their data to Google services like Gmail/Contacts, Google Music and Picasa. It's just makes it so easy.
    you can freeze it with ultimate backup, same as disable, but only if rooted. I freeze everything from backup, verizon, flickr, facebook, device setup, verizon videos, lets golf, nfl......and the list goes on. Just dont turn off any system functions.

I really wish we could disable Backup Assistant. It's one of the few bloatware apps that can't be disabled. Anyone who uses it should seriously consider migrating their data to Google services like Gmail/Contacts, Google Music and Picasa. It's just makes it so easy.
    That's exactly why I have never set it up and have always kept it from synching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

That's good to hear! Were you able to pinpoint the main culprit?
    to be honest im not sure, i think even when i had back ground data restricted, it was still doing it. turning off my 3G while im at work, and only putting it on when im actually needing it to, dipped my data usage finally. not sure if its just my phone or maybe the update didn't work fully, but now its under control

Just decline the agreement for Backup Assistant when you first setup your phone and it won't do anything but sit in the background waiting for you to change your mind!

Root and freeze.

Sent from my r00ted ICS 4.04 Razr MAXX!
    bradenfontaine likes this.

Hi folks. So I am getting the 'background data restricted' in the drop-down. I just need a non-tech description of what I should do. Yes, it does go away in time, but it just adds to the clutter if I receive other notifications. I just took my phone to Verizon store and they did not fix the problem. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    Backup assistant is useless. Waste of space since everything is synced to Google.
    Backup Assistant is put on Android devices to make the process of switching from a non-Android phone easier. My sister and niece both got their first Android phones (RAZR Maxx) the other day and were able to get their contacts back due to Backup Assistant.

It's a shame we can't disable it, though.

Sent from my RAZR Maxx on Android Central Forums.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

if you're rooted you can disable anything
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE
    laparker150 likes this.

ROM

Verizon backup only functions when you have Data turned on so use WiFi instead for synchronization. I discovered Verizon Backup Assistant Plus was disabled after I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S3 to Android 4.0.4. Who knows how it will react when Android 4.1 is released to GS3 by Verizon OTA in a few days. Verizon backup had issues when I installed SanDisk microSDXC 64GB memory card. Backup Assistant backups up your contacts and media. Verizon Media Manager can be automatically linked to Facebook, PhotoBucket, MySpace, and LifePics. Ideal for technophobes not using Google account that have Android phone but want their photos, videos, music, and contacts automatically backed up online. More technically savvy end users configure DropBox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, SugarSync, or other cloud storage services.
    bradenfontaine likes this.

Sorry to jump in on your conversation but I have big problems with data usage currently with my samsung galaxy s2. it has the new nexus operating system and since i've had the phone it has been using over 2 gb per month on just background data on just email. if I turn off background data then i don't receive emails and now I've found out that to use my phone abroad the largest data package is 150 for 500 mb which would be easily used up in about 8-9 days. I only get about 10 emails a day and none with large attachments - only some pictures. Orange so called tech help are no use at all...
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

turn all of your data apps to sync manually. that way they only use data when you open the app. not when the phone is in your pocket with the screen off.
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12