1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ICS no task manager???

Wasnt there a factory installed task manager on GB that helped manage apps and increase battery life? I dont see it on ICS

Default Re: ICS no task manager???

Most experts would tell you that task killers are unnecessary and in fact can contribute to battery drain, because many apps will just turn themselves on after you kill them, and the constant cycling can eat up power. I would guess that's why they junked the task killer for ICS.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by conan1071 View Post
    Wasnt there a factory installed task manager on GB that helped manage apps and increase battery life? I dont see it on ICS
    Press and hold Home button.
    Swipe left or right on programs to kill them

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ewing33855 View Post
    Press and hold Home button.
    Swipe left or right on programs to kill them

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx
    Actually, long pressing the Home button only brings up the Recent Apps list. Swiping them away doesn't kill the program--it just de-clutters your list. You can see for yourself by swiping away a program, then going to Manage Apps to see if it's still running. Another poster in a different thread also pointed out that if you're listening to Pandora, you can swipe it away in the Recent Apps list and it will still be working.

I agree with others about 3rd party task killers but that one was built in and I think it helped the battery. I miss it. I liked auto ending things I installed. Facebook, Pandora, whatever. I understand that android manages them but this phone runs smoother when there is more ram available and stands to reason that it uses less battery without those things running. I've seen this phones ram get into the high 700s and everything gets hosed at that point. So why is it that the OS thinks it's more efficient to keep an app running I haven't used for days? I'd like to end it when the display goes out. Is that so much to ask?

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx
    Last edited by rbess1965; 07-14-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts

ES task manager is good if u want one in spite of controversy about need. I use it. Works fine.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Disappointed that the Task Manager isn't in the latest OS. My battery without the task manager only lasted about 9 hours with my razr maxx. With the task manager running, my battery lasted 1.5 days. Significant difference. I don't care what anyone says...

Any suggestions on an effective task manager to download?

Quote Originally Posted by rbess1965 View Post
    I agree with others about 3rd party task killers but that one was built in and I think it helped the battery. I miss it. I liked auto ending things I installed. Facebook, Pandora, whatever. I understand that android manages them but this phone runs smoother when there is more ram available and stands to reason that it uses less battery without those things running. I've seen this phones ram get into the high 700s and everything gets hosed at that point. So why is it that the OS thinks it's more efficient to keep an app running I haven't used for days? I'd like to end it when the display goes out. Is that so much to ask?

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx
    Why don't they close? Could it be because if you close those apps they can't phone home and report back on your every move? Yeah, I know. Tinfoil hat time. What other point could there be though? Social apps like Twitter and FB? They are data hogs but yeah, if oyu want updates all the time they have to be running. But why Pandora? Why does my Navigon nav app continue to run, and restart when I kill it? Here is what is running on my Maxx that makes no sense at all;

Pandora - it's been idle for days. Through several reboots. If I kill it, it comes back.
    Sygic Navigator - as far as I know, it's not doing anything. Same thing - zombie. It comes back from the dead.
    Navigon - again, not in use. Zombified
    HP-45 emulator - why the HECK is a calculator app running?
    Maps - not using it, but can't be killed.
    Go launcher - not using it. Zombified.

Unless they are eating data and phoning home, why run them? Nothing is serving ads. All all running at least 1 process and 1 service.

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Not every "app" you see is the main program running. For example, Yahoo mail has a "listener" module-type thing that is just there to receive new mail if it gets pushed to the phone.. Some programs have background processes that help the program start faster once it's open.. Facebook, if you have "notifcations on" has to have a background process running at all times for it to work. If you kill these "programs" through a task manager, your applications may not notify you correctly.

Use at your own risk, but don't assume that just because a program appears to be running, that it's the main process for it that's running.

Also, task managers are usually only good for killing the occasional apps that don't close properly.