No sound.....

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw this in another topic and it has happened to me. I thought I would start a new topic to see if we can track or fix this "new" issue.

Randomly waking from sleep, the phone will stop making any noise at all. This has caused me to miss phone calls and emails. It also wouldn't let maps use the gps voice for direction.

If you power the phone off and back on, it starts working again. I have checked and made sure that the phone didn't somehow get put in silent. It just stops making any noise at all.

Phone is stock, not rooted. Running the ICS ota. No leak flashes or anything of the sort.

Discuss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Android Central.

Reactions: bill2crazy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think I was part of the other discussion you're referring to. This is something I've noticed as well, but have found that rebooting isn't necessary to get the sound back. I just go to Settings->Sound->Phone ringtone, and just select a random ringtone to hear it play. This "wakes up" the sound.

I've reported this to Google as a bug. The more people who do it, the more likely they'll pay attention to it, so go here

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

and either start a new thread or search for a similar thread to add to it.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I was part of the other discussion you're referring to. This is something I've noticed as well, but have found that rebooting isn't necessary to get the sound back. I just go to Settings->Sound->Phone ringtone, and just select a random ringtone to hear it play. This "wakes up" the sound.

I've reported this to Google as a bug. The more people who do it, the more likely they'll pay attention to it, so go here

Issues - android - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

and either start a new thread or search for a similar thread to add to it.

Thanks B. It was definitely you I remember seeing. I'll put a reply in a thread too. Thanks again!

I created an issue since I couldn't find one like it. Issue 34962

Last edited:

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
They apparently "declined" my issue and told me to contact Verizon support. Hrm. Well, maybe they didn't understand the problem so I explained it a little more. *shrug* It's so random. I can't force it to do it and usually don't realize it's happened until I missed phone calls and email alerts.

aslandholm

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Verizon replaced my phone because of no sound. Whenever I had no sound if I pinched the top of the phone (as if you're taking a clothes pin and attaching it between the flash and speaker) the sound would come back but it would keep going away as if something was loose in there. It got the the point that I could pinch it to get sound then tap my phone on the palm of my hand and it would quit again.

Verizon put me on hold for awhile and when he came back he said he see's several returns/exchanges for the same issue in the logs he was looking at.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
This has nothing to do with hardware, I'm certain. It was discovered and I have verified that if the sound stops, you can switch ringtones and all sound starts again. Thanks for the input though.

bill2crazy

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I have no sound on video, music and games(media). Ring tones, notifications seems to be fine. I noticed when I was using speakerphone today the volume seemed low even though I had it maxed out. I have tried changing ringtones and powering down. There was no change in the phone.:'(

bill2crazy

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Went back to bestbuy mobile today. They set me up with new phone, zagg and made sure everything got synced and backed up.

New phone has ICS installed already. Here's hoping that it was a bad install on the update.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: bradenfontaine

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this has been addressed before, but after updating google maps, there is no turn by turn voice navigation. Really needed it for my destination. Got home, uninstalled updates, and bingo, got voice back. Bug in app. Or ics?

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this has been addressed before, but after updating google maps, there is no turn by turn voice navigation. Really needed it for my destination. Got home, uninstalled updates, and bingo, got voice back. Bug in app. Or ics?

I think it's ICS. I've had that EXACT bug in maps but if someone would have called you, you wouldn't have gotten a ring tone either. Changing ringtones clears it for some odd reason. It's definitely a software glitch.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, I haven't noticed the problem for a while now. I can't pinpoint what might have corrected the issue, or if I've just been lucky so far. (Of course, it'll probably happen again as soon as I finish this post.)

Reactions: cubetop

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank god for this thread, I've been having problems with no sounds for calls and primarily texts and GPS. Thought it was something I was doing. Here's hoping there's a fix soon.

sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx