I compared ginger bread to ics today.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I finally got to compare 2 razor maxx phones today, one on GB, and one on ICS. main thing I watched was signal of course, and how they worked.

Long story short, ICS lost big time to GB. Here are some readings in DBM. (GB -93....ICS -120,) (GB -86... ICS. -102,) (GB -73...ICS -81). I have more readings, but you get the idea.

This was consistent all day driving 440 miles. There were some areas both read the same, but most the day ICS was around 5 DBM worse. And call quality was agreeing with numbers, dropped no calls on GB. ICS was negative triple digits a lot today, GB maybe a couple times and never -120, worse ICS seen was -125.

I don't think it is the phone itself, I think ICS changed something in how the radio operates and it only effects certain phones. Does this sound familiar? This sounds just like what the nexus owners reported, some phones had signal issues, and some didn't. I have not checked other forums on what other phones updated to ICS are doing, but it is interesting how maxx on ICS, some users are experiencing the ICS nexus signal issues.

justpastfinish

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Someone correct me of I am wrong but I thought ICS reports signal strength for 4g if its present while GB reports 3g strength even when connected to 4g.

Food for thought when doing the dbm comparison...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Its Bubba

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Are you on the Leaked version .215 with ICS....

Its Bubba
I finally got to compare 2 razor maxx phones today, one on GB, and one on ICS. main thing I watched was signal of course, and how they worked.

Long story short, ICS lost big time to GB. Here are some readings in DBM. (GB -93....ICS -120,) (GB -86... ICS. -102,) (GB -73...ICS -81). I have more readings, but you get the idea.

This was consistent all day driving 440 miles. There were some areas both read the same, but most the day ICS was around 5 DBM worse. And call quality was agreeing with numbers, dropped no calls on GB. ICS was negative triple digits a lot today, GB maybe a couple times and never -120, worse ICS seen was -125.

I don't think it is the phone itself, I think ICS changed something in how the radio operates and it only effects certain phones. Does this sound familiar? This sounds just like what the nexus owners reported, some phones had signal issues, and some didn't. I have not checked other forums on what other phones updated to ICS are doing, but it is interesting how maxx on ICS, some users are experiencing the ICS nexus signal issues.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Someone correct me of I am wrong but I thought ICS reports signal strength for 4g if its present while GB reports 3g strength even when connected to 4g.

Food for thought when doing the dbm comparison...

I was on 3G with those numbers. 4G is not available in my part of the world yet.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you on the Leaked version .215 with ICS....

Its Bubba

No, both phones are on the official ICS and GB releases. Neither phone is rooted. The phone on ICS is my original maxx that worked just fine until I updated to ICS, and I have done 2 factory resets also, what a PITA.

I did the test basically to see if I was imagining the signal issue, sadly I was not. I love ICS and would love to be using it, but signal has to be number one priority in my job. With signal numbers like I listed above explains the dropped calls, missed calls, and the calls were chopped up, cutting in and out.

I think this is a google issue, not Verizon or Motorola, and I'm guessing there won't be a fix from google. As I said, this issue is the same as the nexus, not all phones have it for some reason. Sucks, because ICS is awesome aside from my signal issue.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
dbm on the signal issue can ruin your day if you let it. Mine on ICS is around -115 and on GB it was at -80. Funny thing though, the phone works exactly the same. Everything loads just as fast, and the experience is identical. Also, I LOVE ICS and I know you hate it. So if I had two Razr's side by side with one on GB and one on ICS, I would come to a different conclusion. It's all based on bias, and reading the dbm number which SHOULD show real time signal, but in the actual usage it doesn't make near the difference people claim it does.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
dbm on the signal issue can ruin your day if you let it. Mine on ICS is around -115 and on GB it was at -80. Funny thing though, the phone works exactly the same. Everything loads just as fast, and the experience is identical. Also, I LOVE ICS and I know you hate it. So if I had two Razr's side by side with one on GB and one on ICS, I would come to a different conclusion. It's all based on bias, and reading the dbm number which SHOULD show real time signal, but in the actual usage it doesn't make near the difference people claim it does.

Please read everything I said and don't skim it. I clearly say I Love ICS's features, I want it, I am disappointed its not working signal wise.

As far as watching the DBM numbers, yes it can ruin your day, but keep in mind ICS gave me a reason to watch it. I also clearly state that I am not only going by the DBM numbers, or the signal meter in status bar, I am also using call quality in the testing. When I was on GB, I never watched the signal either, had no reason to, the phone worked. I went to ICS I started dropping calls, missing calls, calls were bad, and roam indicator was coming on in areas I or nobody has issues, so ICS is what gave me reason to watch. Phone on GB, problems went away. I travel the same areas over and over and have for the last 15 years, so when ICS went on the phone, it was not hard to notice the differences in signal issues, or call quality.

So please don't put words in my mouth, I like ICS features, it runs smoother then GB, I would prefer ICS, but signal has to come first, I'm not only using my phone a novelty, I need it to work as a phone first. I am hoping someone fixes ICS. and note I am not the only one having this issue, and there are some that are having no problems. And I will repeat, most of my testing is based on the quality of the call, missed calls, ect, I used the DBM reading to compare, and when the numbers were bad, so was the call quality. And no, I do not hate ICS just to be clear, if anything, I'm disappointed that there is a signal issue for me, glad you don't have it, your lucky.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Please read everything I said and don't skim it. I clearly say I Love ICS's features, I want it, I am disappointed its not working signal wise.

As far as watching the DBM numbers, yes it can ruin your day, but keep in mind ICS gave me a reason to watch it. I also clearly state that I am not only going by the DBM numbers, or the signal meter in status bar, I am also using call quality in the testing. When I was on GB, I never watched the signal either, had no reason to, the phone worked. I went to ICS I started dropping calls, missing calls, calls were bad, and roam indicator was coming on in areas I or nobody has issues, so ICS is what gave me reason to watch. Phone on GB, problems went away. I travel the same areas over and over and have for the last 15 years, so when ICS went on the phone, it was not hard to notice the differences in signal issues, or call quality.

So please don't put words in my mouth, I like ICS features, it runs smoother then GB, I would prefer ICS, but signal has to come first, I'm not only using my phone a novelty, I need it to work as a phone first. I am hoping someone fixes ICS. and note I am not the only one having this issue, and there are some that are having no problems. And I will repeat, most of my testing is based on the quality of the call, missed calls, ect, I used the DBM reading to compare, and when the numbers were bad, so was the call quality. And no, I do not hate ICS just to be clear, if anything, I'm disappointed that there is a signal issue for me, glad you don't have it, your lucky.

I will help you out here. I agree with you 100% on the connection strength but you need to leave out the dbm number comparison. If you had -300 readings people argue that's normal because of what they read. And they are right to an extent. But no one argues back about what is important the actual signal, data issues and call quality that go with it. We have 2 Maxx's in a solid 4g area where we see them both drop from 4g to 3g frequently when we never saw 3g in our area with the Maxx's. I do alot of traveling and I have had several dropped calls or gravely sounding calls that I didn't have on GB. If people dont travel alot for work or whatever they typically wont see the diference's that the one's that do. This is a true issue and Moto is working on a fix so people shouldn't argue against it. I don't complain about it because I love ICS on it and my favorite phone. I have heard several say the .215 leak has done wonders so we should have a fix soon. I also have my Rezound that has no data connectivity or call quality issues if needed when traveling. It is also on ICS.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I may be "putting words in your mouth" on this thread, but overall I am paraphrasing the other 4 threads that you have more or less said that ICS destroyed the Maxx.

ICS does not "lose big time" to GB for everyone. Here's something to keep in mind.......the Gingerbread you were using has been updated at LEAST twice at the time you compared it. ICS has not been updated yet with any bug fixes since it's initial release. If you want to be fair and get an accurate comparison, give Google the chance to push some updates so that they are on par with their time on the market.

It's not a fair comparison to compare something that has been polished, and worked on, and updated to something that has only been out for 3 weeks and has yet to be updated. Be patient and give it time. Everyone here knows you are unsatisfied with your signal because of the 4 threads that already say the same thing.

kobastal

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I sympathize with the original poster. It is difficult to be patient with an otherwise fantastic device that suddenly begins to fail at its most basic function. I have had the phone since late February and never experienced a single missed call until ICS. I am a big fan of ICS and this phone especially. If the problem was just some erratic behavior with apps or the battery life going from incredible to just great, I would cheerfully grin and bear it. But, missed phone calls (and I know of 5, who knows how many I don't know about) , with no notification, is pretty bad. Hopefully, it will be fixed. It is, however, pretty easy to understand being impatient with this kind of problem.

PeteK01

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I sympathize with the original poster. It is difficult to be patient with an otherwise fantastic device that suddenly begins to fail at its most basic function. I have had the phone since late February and never experienced a single missed call until ICS. I am a big fan of ICS and this phone especially. If the problem was just some erratic behavior with apps or the battery life going from incredible to just great, I would cheerfully grin and bear it. But, missed phone calls (and I know of 5, who knows how many I don't know about) , with no notification, is pretty bad. Hopefully, it will be fixed. It is, however, pretty easy to understand being impatient with this kind of problem.

I totally agree. I could deal with all the other issues with ICS. But droppped calls, missed calls and total loss of signal cannot be overlooked. After all...it's first..and foremost function...is to be a phone.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

The real question is did both phones stay connected to the Internet at the same time? Thats all that matters to me. I could care less how strong my signal is (or what my phone reports my signal as) as long as I'm connected to the Internet when I need it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was on 3G with those numbers. 4G is not available in my part of the world yet.

I think ICS displays the signal strength by its data whether on 4G or 3G. Before, those numbers always displayed the strength in general. Now I believe its supposed to show true data strength. I would be surprised if this isn't true because my signal quality hasn't changed since the update and in the past on other networks I would have dropped many calls with a dbm that high.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think ICS displays the signal strength by its data whether on 4G or 3G. Before, those numbers always displayed the strength in general. Now I believe its supposed to show true data strength. I would be surprised if this isn't true because my signal quality hasn't changed since the update and in the past on other networks I would have dropped many calls with a dbm that high.

I don't know what is being measured, i'm just using the numbers for reference. The main issue is dropped calls, missed calls. Either way there is a issue with calls dropping while on ICS.

I done recall saying ether max is junk, I am going out of my way to use it, its a good phone. For me, ICS screwed up my signal, that's all I'm saying.

I wish google would do like blackberry does on operating systems. A user can put any of the official operating systems on their phone, thus making it so a person can use what works for them as we all have different needs.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I do not love ics like everyone else but I don't hate it either. What I loved was this phones reliability. For me everything just worked. Like an iPhone. Maybe it wasn't perfect but man it was good, solid and reliable. What I hate is that they (Google, Moto, or some pin head developer somewhere ) found a way to mess up my very reliable phone and plenty of others out there or these discussions wouldn't be continuing. Those of you that "love" ICS congratulations. Those of us that acknowledge our problems and hope for resolve are really happy for you. I've heard it all from you. Excusing this and that. Ics brings all the new stuff. Who gives a crap. If we are dropping calls where we weren't before, if Bluetooth isn't working like it was before, if were having to restart our phones too freakin often now to free up RAM & never had to before. These things are legitimate problems and I'm tired of you guys without problems trying to debunk anyone that posts their issues. We are having problems regardless of whether you think so or not. I'm glad yours is working perfectly and that your in love with a piece of software, for which you really should be getting treatment for that bty, but the rest of us just enjoyed the simple fact that this phone was solid and reliable and ICS has been the common factor in that change. Signal strength, regardless of how you measured it was better. I didn't have to restart the device this much at all. These issues are legitimate and were not making them up. Bottom line is that something change on this phone and it wasn't just a pretty facelift and that pisses me off. He'll I use to think the problems the Nexus owners were having was hardware related but now not so sure. Every device that has had the upgrade had had problems. So you just keep on loving ICS, keep on loving change. For God sake don't ever be satisfied with something even if it works right. You keep on forging ahead with you advancements. I just miss old reliable maxx. You know what, I could have typed out this rant on GB just as good as I can now on ICS and probably had less battery used while doing it.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I do not love ics like everyone else but I don't hate it either. What I loved was this phones reliability. For me everything just worked. Like an iPhone. Maybe it wasn't perfect but man it was good, solid and reliable. What I hate is that they (Google, Moto, or some pin head developer somewhere ) found a way to mess up my very reliable phone and plenty of others out there or these discussions wouldn't be continuing. Those of you that "love" ICS congratulations. Those of us that acknowledge our problems and hope for resolve are really happy for you. I've heard it all from you. Excusing this and that. Ics brings all the new stuff. Who gives a crap. If we are dropping calls where we weren't before, if Bluetooth isn't working like it was before, if were having to restart our phones too freakin often now to free up RAM & never had to before. These things are legitimate problems and I'm tired of you guys without problems trying to debunk anyone that posts their issues. We are having problems regardless of whether you think so or not. I'm glad yours is working perfectly and that your in love with a piece of software, for which you really should be getting treatment for that bty, but the rest of us just enjoyed the simple fact that this phone was solid and reliable and ICS has been the common factor in that change. Signal strength, regardless of how you measured it was better. I didn't have to restart the device this much at all. These issues are legitimate and were not making them up. Bottom line is that something change on this phone and it wasn't just a pretty facelift and that pisses me off. He'll I use to think the problems the Nexus owners were having was hardware related but now not so sure. Every device that has had the upgrade had had problems. So you just keep on loving ICS, keep on loving change. For God sake don't ever be satisfied with something even if it works right. You keep on forging ahead with you advancements. I just miss old reliable maxx. You know what, I could have typed out this rant on GB just as good as I can now on ICS and probably had less battery used while doing it.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

thank you, but be ready to be a outcast for pointing out ICS made the Max worse.

I'm fortunate enough that I had a Max sitting in the box that still had GB on it. I didn't have a reason to root this phone, but ICS gave me a reason, to block ICS from being forced on to ths phone. Hopefully they will fix ICS for us having issues, but to many are blinded by the new, wow factor, hell one is satisfied as long as internet works, they should have looked at tablets since they don't need a phone.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been flashing and updating my stuff for years and one conclusion ive come to is, just because it's new and you can, doesn't mean it's better and you should.
I'm very happy as is with GB and it just works beautifully. Anybody who wants to stick and stop the annoying update notifications just root and freeze the updater. Then enjoy GB in peace. One solid os, IMHO.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A while back, "trucksmoveamerica" told me not to just 'skim' over his posts. But I guess it's okay if those with problems skim over mine.

I've said some complaints are legit (dropped calls, losing signal) but what bugs me is when people say they hate EVERYTHING about ICS. (I'm not blaming anyone in this thread so don't get defensive). And rbess, don't say you're happy for those without problems, just to turn around and tear into them like a wild animal on a dead carcass.

I've had some problems and frustrations but overall, the huge upgrade was worth it to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
but to many are blinded by the new, wow factor, hell one is satisfied as long as internet works, they should have looked at tablets since they don't need a phone.

How can you say that? Do you know me or anyone else on here? Do you know how well my phone works? If you want to generalize like that, i could say you should have just bought a trac phone since all you do is make phone calls.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21