Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kamax
  • 1 Post By carracerz14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you have to root to control GPS?

I'm a very old noob, so please be gentle.
    We replaced our landline/internet connection with a Verizon Razr Maxx ICS 4.0.4 with a hotspot. Great. Decided that Smartapps wasn't quite enough and got Tasker. Great. The phone capabilities and Tasker capabilities appear to be capable of doing everything we need. Unfortunately, some of those capabilities are apparently blocked by Motorola/Google/Verizon and apparently will require rooting to get around.
    There are links on rooting which seems straightforward enough, but, once rooted, it appears that updating will be more difficult.
    Our particular issue is toggling the GPS on and off. I've found several links describing use of Tasker and GPS, but they all require rooting. Does anyone know of any way around this?
    If not, what apps? are needed to do a backup, root, backup, unroot, update, backup, etc....
    I've seen a lot of posts on pieces of this problem, but I'm still concerned because it appears that any variation in the Motorola/Google/Verizon mindset could cause problems. Am I wrong?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by hertfordkc; 07-24-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Default Re: Do you have to root to control GPS?

Ginger Bread comes with a GPS toggle widget along with some others. Are you saying ICS does not? I'd not heard that and I'm still on GB, so maybe I'm not much help.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The ICS user can control the GPS and other location services with several (3?) keystrokes, but apparently not with SmartApps or Tasker. I really need to control the GPS setting via Tasker, principally to reduce battery useage.
    The WIFI service and Hotspot are among others suffering from requiring direct user action.

Press Apps/widgets/Power control put that on home screen, let you turn GPS off and on one press.

Unless I don't understand your question and that is highly possible.
    PeninaD likes this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

No need to back anything up when rooting/unrooting. No data is lost in the process, and for updates all you have to do us download voodoo ota root keep from market, do a back up of root, temporarily unroot, update phone, and then restore root. Easy as pie.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Thanked by:
    hertfordkc likes this.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Beans v17

Google blocked access to the GPS framework in ICS. Yes, the only way around that is to root. On a side note, I used to use Tasker but now use AutomateIt Pro. It may not be as feature deep as Tasker but it does everything very well.
    Current devices - SGS3, SGN2, N7, N8, S7
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

if you need/want a detailed step by step walkthrough with links on how to root safely and reversibly please hit me up and i will give you a helping hand.
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE

ROM
    ArcticHD

Quote Originally Posted by kamax View Post
    Press Apps/widgets/Power control put that on home screen, let you turn GPS off and on one press.

Unless I don't understand your question and that is highly possible.
    Same here that is how I turn my GPS off. You can also goto System Settings > Location Services and turn it off there also, along with Google Location Service and VZW Location service.

I have no idea if this will work for ICS. I'm still on Froyo 2.2.1 , Try... long press on home screen...if a menu comes up choose widgets> choose power control. This puts a widget on my home screen that allows me to toggle wifi, bluetooth, GPS, Sync and screen brightness.

I've had my phone for a year and just recently discovered this widget myself. Great for conserving battery. Please let me know if it works for you