Droid Razr Maxx-ICS is horrible!!!!

FireMedic559

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You're right about the icon not changing. Ics did screw that up. But it still works to send u to ur default txt app. Unless u disable the stock txt app in manage apps it will always show the smiley square. But if u disable that u will not get mms. To clear the default need to go to manage apps in settings, all tab, then scroll down to messages app (green smiley square). Tap on that and scroll down a little, should have option of "clear defaults" Tap that then go back to widget and tap the smiley. Box should pop up asking what u want to open with. Check box at bottom for always then tap ur txt app. All done. Icon does not change but still works like in gb. not as pretty though i will admit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you happen to look? I've noticed a theme here...... You have an issue, people tell you how to fix it, and you just say you couldn't. I don't think you want solutions, i think you just want to bash ICS. I've simulated each suggestion on my Maxx that I've read here, and it's all been so easy.

There's no way your phone just doesn't have "clear defaults". It's under settings>apps>all apps>text messaging. Then its toward the bottom. Help us to help you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Yes there is a theme here but it's not the one you think you see. Despite your love for this operating system I don't like it and I know others that feel the same way I do.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly on the clear defaults. I do have the option but it is greyed out and I can not find anyway to activate it. I've played around with the Handcent application settings but that didn't work either.

Much respect to FireMedic for actually providing a suggestion and not jumping on the "I'm smarter than you" theme here.

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You're right about the icon not changing. Ics did screw that up. But it still works to send u to ur default txt app. Unless u disable the stock txt app in manage apps it will always show the smiley square. But if u disable that u will not get mms. To clear the default need to go to manage apps in settings, all tab, then scroll down to messages app (green smiley square). Tap on that and scroll down a little, should have option of "clear defaults" Tap that then go back to widget and tap the smiley. Box should pop up asking what u want to open with. Check box at bottom for always then tap ur txt app. All done. Icon does not change but still works like in gb. not as pretty though i will admit.

Thanks alot. Does this mean that your contact widget DOES have a text icon displayed. You will see in my screenshot above (red square added by me to illustrate where it used to be) that mine does not. It wouldn't be so bad that the icon doesn't change to the Handcent version, I just don't have one at all.

case1212

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't understand why you don't have texting options under your contacts. It works fine on mine and I wonder if it's a setting or contact sync thing. Do you use the stock app or something different?

Hope you didn't mind my ribbing, it was all with good intentions and trying to lighten the mood a bit. I, like you apparently, r not smart. I may be an engineer but seriously, I'm hardware and software may as well be a foreign language. Just remember to breathe. I'd like to help figure out why you don't get the text icon, when you hit your contact. It honestly works fine on mine. Maybe we're missing a piece of info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Android Central.

when ( tap on a contact and then menu, I get Edit, Share, Delete, Set Ringtone and All calls to voicemail. See nothing about texting. Where have I gone wrong.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes there is a theme here but it's not the one you think you see. Despite your love for this operating system I don't like it and I know others that feel the same way I do.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly on the clear defaults. I do have the option but it is greyed out and I can not find anyway to activate it. I've played around with the Handcent application settings but that didn't work either.

Much respect to FireMedic for actually providing a suggestion and not jumping on the "I'm smarter than you" theme here.

No one is saying they're smarter than anyone. If you want solutions, be clear on your hang ups during troubleshooting.

FireMedic559

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It does not show up in the top bar. it is the icon to the right of the phone number. Looks like a square smiley. Tap that and it opens your txt app. Text app icon does not show in the top bar at all for some reason (ics)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It won't show up as the Handcent icon... That's what I'm trying to say. Just hit the smiley text button next to the number and it should ask you what app to use to complete the action. Just like but would for any other app

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Holo launcher is a wonderful app. Makes the rest of what we got with ICS good. Be sure to uncheck Global in mobile networks for battery life. Horrible was a Sprint EVO3D on Gingerbread. Peace.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This guy probably still uses windows 95

Hey, wait a min...I still use XP....lol.

But I knew some ppl that went from GB to ICS on the RAZR or Maxx wouldnt like it. Overall I like it...I liked it when I had a G Nex. I have a couple of issues with it.....but overall, I think its good.

Most issues are probably learning curve related with some ppl.

Its also a testament to how good of a job Motorola did with Blur and GB....I said this before...some ppl with a Bionic, RAZR, Maxx or whatever latest Moto phone that has the latest version of Blur..... might be fine waiting on ICS. And might wanna go back to GB.

But stock GB vs stock ICS...its no contest...IMO. And IMO Blur + GB thats on the RAZR and other Moto phones vs stock ICS....its a lil better contest.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey, wait a min...I still use XP....lol.

But I knew some ppl that went from GB to ICS on the RAZR or Maxx wouldnt like it. Overall I like it...I liked it when I had a G Nex. I have a couple of issues with it.....but overall, I think its good.

Most issues are probably learning curve related with some ppl.

Its also a testament to how good of a job Motorola did with Blur and GB....I said this before...some ppl with a Bionic, RAZR, Maxx or whatever latest Moto phone that has the latest version of Blur..... might be fine waiting on ICS. And might wanna go back to GB.

But stock GB vs stock ICS...its no contest...IMO. And IMO Blur + GB thats on the RAZR and other Moto phones vs stock ICS....its a lil better contest.

Blur on ics is even better imo

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Blur on ics is even better imo

Now that I have JB on my Nexus 7, I want it on the Maxx too! And while according to version numbers it's a minor upgrade (from 4.0 to 4.1) it does some things differently enough to thrwo me sometimes. Still Android has VASTLY improved since I first met it in the Droid, where I hated everything about it. It's now my favorite mobile OS. Except I wish it windowed, like a Windows, Linux or Apple desktop system.

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Stan, did you do a factory reset yet? I didnt have many of the features of ics including home screen contacts, until I did a reset.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have JB on my Nexus 7, I want it on the Maxx too! And while according to version numbers it's a minor upgrade (from 4.0 to 4.1) it does some things differently enough to thrwo me sometimes. Still Android has VASTLY improved since I first met it in the Droid, where I hated everything about it. It's now my favorite mobile OS. Except I wish it windowed, like a Windows, Linux or Apple desktop system.

Yeah, I'm hoping we will see JB. I'm sure we will though sooner or later

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Going back to GB would be a collossal kick in the groin. Even if ICS has a few bugs (GB did too) i HATE the feeling of being left behind the tech curve.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd have to agree to a certain extent that some of the features were a step back and were easier to use with gb. Deleting an app on ics is ed as to how much more difficult it is compared to gb.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Deleting an app in ICS is dirt simple. Go to the apps and drag it to uninstall. You don't have to go to settings or anything.

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Getting used to new stuff can really suck. I always hate having to get a new phone when my current one is bugging out. I have to relearn my new phone. So I feel your pain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums