Droid Razr Maxx-ICS is horrible!!!!

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a Droid Razr Maxx that I absolutely loved until the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system was introduced. I cannot believe how user UNfriendly this piece of crap is. I really really hate it and wonder if the designers ever actually used a smart phone before. If I could roll back the clock to my previous system I would in a second!!!

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
What about it do you detest so? The increased speed? The ability to make folders easily?

I think it's great. Your statement is pretty vague. Maybe it's something you don't understand? Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand or maybe help if possible.

Reactions: metz65 and d.meyer

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It IS different and it takes time to learn some of the new "tricks", but I'd have to disagree with you about it being user unfriendly. For me personally it's an improvement overall. If you would've looked through the forums before upgrading to ICS, you might've been able to see it wasn't right for you.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about ICS is the "native" widget-adding.. I get around that by using Nova Launcher (which currently has the "white-on-white" bug.. lol).

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The user settings are not straight forward at all. With Gingerbread you almost didn't need a manual or Google. Each task was easy to figure out and manipulate. With Ice Cream Sandwich it is the opposite. For instance, in GB if you wanted to add something to your homepage you long pressed at then chose what you wanted to add. When you long press the home page in ICS the options are no longer there.

Would someone please do me the favor of explaining how to add a contact to the homepage of my &$^###*! ICS Razr.

Another complaint, (I have a long list with ICS) is that when you do finally figure out how to add contacts to your home page (did it once and can't seem figure out how I did it previously) and you click on a contact there is no longer an icon to send a text to that contact. I am really unhappy with the design of this system, in case you couldn't tell.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow........I feel so smart now. I have had no problem finding my way around ICS. You just made my day! I had no idea it was so difficult to operate and figure out as it took me about 10 minutes on the first day and I pretty much had the hang of everything.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a contact widget you add to the screen. It works perfectly for me. I have contacts listed and I have the text option for them as well.

There were some fundamental changes but it's just learning, that's all. There is a user manual online you can look at that gives a great breakdown of things that changed. It sounds like you really just didn't want any change. If that's the case, maybe you can find someone with a Maxx on GB and swap and then make sure to never take any OS upgrades. They all have new learning curves. It's part of the fun.

It took me 2 days to figure out how to add widgets but I really like it now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Android Central.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There is a contact widget you add to the screen. It works perfectly for me. I have contacts listed and I have the text option for them as well.

There were some fundamental changes but it's just learning, that's all. There is a user manual online you can look at that gives a great breakdown of things that changed. It sounds like you really just didn't want any change. If that's the case, maybe you can find someone with a Maxx on GB and swap and then make sure to never take any OS upgrades. They all have new learning curves. It's part of the fun.

It took me 2 days to figure out how to add widgets but I really like it now.

Very well said. It is fun to me to re-learn my phone. It feels like I am getting to know it all over again and we can start fresh. It feels like I just walked into Verizon and upgraded! I will never understand the mentality where the second something frustrates you, it automatically is horrible, and sucks, and we hate everything about it.

Generally (not always) these changes are confusing for a second at first, but once you get the idea, it makes so much more sense. For example.......I LOVED being able to long-press the home screen and then control so much just from doing that. But at the same time, there were SO MANY options available from there, that you still had a decent amnt of navigating to do before accomplishing what you wanted. With ICS, it makes sense that you have a set place for your widgets and that's where you go to do ANYTHING with widgets. I also love being able to see what the widget will look like before I add it.

Reactions: d.meyer and cubetop

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The "plus" that I found from having to "learn" ICS is that I found more things the phone could do that I wasn't aware of. It sort of forced me to not be lazy and actually learn to utilize my phone better. For that, I am very grateful.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer if you get my meaning. I'm a hardware engineer specializing in components and RF. Software stuff goes RIGHT over my head. ICS has really made some things much more intuitive for me.

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, even the sarcastic ones. I will admit that it might take me a little longer than the "smart" people to figure things out. Call it not as smart, call it not enough patience, or better yet how about no desire to relearn my phone settings all over again when I had no problem with them in the first place.

I agree that the learning process can be fun and it is something I expect when I buy a new phone. But I'm a little ticked off that I should have to have fun all over again because someone decided to change the entire operating system of my phone.

I can see improving the speed and performance and adding some new cool features but was it really necessary to revamp everything?

I still can't find the text option when I click on a contact from my homepage. There are some quick icons there including phone, email, location, but no text like there used to be with GB. And the contact display box is about half the size of the screen so in order to see all of that particular contacts information you have to scroll within the box even though there is plenty of real estate left on my screen.

This is the type of thing that I refer to as not so user friendly and poorly designed. I would gladly revert back to GB if it were an option. Afterall, when I was kicking the tires on my Droid Razr at the Verizon store prior to buying it, it was Gingerbread that I liked enough to make my purchase. I now own a completely different phone and was given no choice before it was changed.

Hey its Stan

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i thought it was optional?

Calling it optional is a real stretch. The device user is constantly reminded to do the upgrade and the best you can do is to choose to do it later. And once you give in you are not given a trial period to see how you like it and there is no going back. Call that optional if you like but my definition is obviously different than yours.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, even the sarcastic ones. I will admit that it might take me a little longer than the "smart" people to figure things out. Call it not as smart, call it not enough patience, or better yet how about no desire to relearn my phone settings all over again when I had no problem with them in the first place.

I agree that the learning process can be fun and it is something I expect when I buy a new phone. But I'm a little ticked off that I should have to have fun all over again because someone decided to change the entire operating system of my phone.

I can see improving the speed and performance and adding some new cool features but was it really necessary to revamp everything?

I still can't find the text option when I click on a contact from my homepage. There are some quick icons there including phone, email, location, but no text like there used to be with GB. And the contact display box is about half the size of the screen so in order to see all of that particular contacts information you have to scroll within the box even though there is plenty of real estate left on my screen.

This is the type of thing that I refer to as not so user friendly and poorly designed. I would gladly revert back to GB if it were an option. Afterall, when I was kicking the tires on my Droid Razr at the Verizon store prior to buying it, it was Gingerbread that I liked enough to make my purchase. I now own a completely different phone and was given no choice before it was changed.

I can't understand why you don't have texting options under your contacts. It works fine on mine and I wonder if it's a setting or contact sync thing. Do you use the stock app or something different?

Hope you didn't mind my ribbing, it was all with good intentions and trying to lighten the mood a bit. I, like you apparently, r not smart. I may be an engineer but seriously, I'm hardware and software may as well be a foreign language. Just remember to breathe. I'd like to help figure out why you don't get the text icon, when you hit your contact. It honestly works fine on mine. Maybe we're missing a piece of info.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Calling it optional is a real stretch. The device user is constantly reminded to do the upgrade and the best you can do is to choose to do it later. And once you give in you are not given a trial period to see how you like it and there is no going back. Call that optional if you like but my definition is obviously different than yours.

I could be wrong, but I thought you could download the update to stop getting the reminders, and then just never install the download? I've never done it so I could be totally wrong. But I thought I'd heard others doing that.

Also, there's always rooting and then freezing the updater settings. But I personally have no interest in voiding my warranty just to do something like that.

azle

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Never had the GB option my phone was upgraded to ICS upon buying. I came from an IPhone and it was a huge learning curve! I have found by reading the post where my concerns were that all is resolved. I must say this device is truely superior to the IPhone. The IPhone is so easy to use it does not even come with instructions..... just my.02 but the RAXR Rocks! ICS and All! Hope you get it figured out and get back to enjoying you phone, what fun is life without it's little challenges!

Azle

A

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Never had the GB option my phone was upgraded to ICS upon buying. I came from an IPhone and it was a huge learning curve! I have found by reading the post where my concerns were that all is resolved. I must say this device is truely superior to the IPhone. The IPhone is so easy to use it does not even come with instructions..... just my.02 but the RAXR Rocks! ICS and All! Hope you get it figured out and get back to enjoying you phone, what fun is life without it's little challenges!

Azle

A

Not to hijack the thread here, but I would LOVE to hear any specifics that you feel make the Maxx better than the iPhone experience? Even things that make the iPhone better in some ways. It isn't often that I can associate with a previous iOS user who is logical or sensible about the Maxx being superior.

FireMedic559

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If your using the favorites widget, when u tap on the contact and it comes up with their numbers and other options above that. To the right of their phone numbers is the text icon. Don't tap the number, tap the icon and it will take u to txt app

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
LegalAmerican i swear im going to try and talk you into rooting. there are tools out there that make it quite easy, and a one touch unroot option in the same tool makes it a no brainer ;)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
LegalAmerican i swear im going to try and talk you into rooting. there are tools out there that make it quite easy, and a one touch unroot option in the same tool makes it a no brainer ;)

I told myself as soon as I got ICS, I would root. But man.......it gives me the willies. I think mostly because of all the things I learn on these forums, rooting has yet to click for me. I can't seem to grasp the terminolgy of it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary