Can't find "all messages" icon at bottom of screen with ICS?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Can't find "all messages" icon/widget at bottom of screen with ICS.

I installed ICS 6.16.211 last week.

Here is my question....before ICS, I had an icon on the bottom of my screen. I believe it was called "all messages." I was able to see all messages at once and mult- select them to be deleted. I can't find this option anymore with ICS.

The icons that I currently have at the bottom of my screen are "people," "apps," "text," and "voice mail."

Any ideas on how I can restore an icon that will let me see and work with all messages at once....like I had on Gingerbread ?

thanks for any help.

SoccerRef12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I think you are looking for the "Combined Inbox" which can display all your email accounts and text messages. You can replace any of the tray icons with the Combined Inbox. ;)

Reactions: jasonvancouver

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I think you are looking for the "Combined Inbox" which can display all your email accounts and text messages. You can replace any of the tray icons with the Combined Inbox. ;)

SoccerRef12 - I think you are right.

I can't locate the "Combined Inbox," do you know where it is hiding ?

My apps. are alphabetized (using the apps icon in the system tray). I can't find "Combined Inbox" anywhere.

thanks for any help,

Jason.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The Universal Message folder disappeared with ICS. You now have the ability to make custom folders by simply dragging one app shortcut onto another and then, labeling the group. I personally like the new method since you aren't restricted to stock apps. Grouping apps by function is one of my favorite ICS features, it's great for convenience & keeping the screen neat.

Sent from my Verizon 4G RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Should be in APP and is call "Email"...that's what I use to view my combined emails..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

hakimmmmm

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Select email widget there you will be asked to choose folder and select combined and there your

But i think it displays only emails not sms or mms

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
i think what maxman1 was trying to say is you can create folders and put whatever apps you want into those folders. so you can make your own universal inbox!

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Should be in APP and is call "Email"...that's what I use to view my combined emails..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Thanks, I will give that a try. I have to think this functionality would be present with ICS, it was so handy with gingerbread.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Except that, the possibilities are unlimited.

Maxman, thanks. I tried the email app, but that gives only emails.

I want to try and make a universal folder, where I can manage my gmail and text messages in the same place, etc.

Sounds like I can create folder to do that.

Can you tell me how to create a folder ?

sorry for my ignorance.

thanks in advance !

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Easy. Just hold & drag one home page shortcut icon on top of another. When finished, click on the group and enter the folder (group) name into the little box that's open. You can add, subtract, re-name the folder as you wish if needed. This is a far more flexible & functional design. As example, I have 1 group labeled "Internet" containing 3 browsers & Tapatalk, another for "Utilities", others for "Office", "Sports", etc., etc.

Last edited:

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Will look like this
41bc3b02-36fb-081b.jpg

And went you tap it it will open the folder like this
41bc3b02-372a-73ef.jpg

sent from the fingers of a madman

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Easy. Just hold & drag one home page shortcut icon on top of another. When finished, click on the group and enter the folder (group) name into the little box that's open. You can add, subtract, re-name the folder as you wish if needed. This is a far more flexible & functional design. As example, I have 1 group labeled "Internet" containing 3 browsers & Tapatalk, another for "Utilities", others for "Office", "Sports", etc., etc.

Sorry for my stupidity....but where do I find a 'home page shortcut?' to start the process ? Can't seem to locate a shortcut icon.

thanks for any help.

Jason.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for my stupidity....but where do I find a 'home page shortcut?' to start the process ? Can't seem to locate a shortcut icon.

thanks for any help.

Jason.

These are the shortcuts to the apps found on your home screen(s). Think of them as the icons on a computer desktop.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
These are the shortcuts to the apps found on your home screen(s). Think of them as the icons on a computer desktop.

Ok MaxMan, I think I figured it out. I put an extra "text message" icon on the system tray, then dragged another gmail icon into the same spot. When I click on the combined icon, I can choose either.

Do we still have the option to multi-select and delete text and SMS/MMS messages ? I can't find how we do that....

thanks again for the help !!

TonyIyoob

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
MaxMan, I feel the same way, the messaging app in 2.36 was great, you had different colors and icons in the notification bar, blue for exchange work, email rd for pop

I was also able to add gmail, text, so when I clicked on the messaging app, it showed 4 icons, with a # for the amount of emails, worked great, ics email is terrible

Can I get that app back?

Thx
tonyiyoob@comcast.net

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You can create shortcut icons for any app on your phone -and- group them together as you wish & have the option of naming the group (which, actually behaves as a folder). Each app shortcut will behave the same as if it were alone and not in the group. None of this has any impact on status bar notifications...to change that you'd have to use a custom launcher.

TonyIyoob

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
MaxMan, I tried that but i can't name the email icons except for gmail, which is already named, i want a folder where i can see all 4 of my emails, home, work, personal, gmail, as well as my text messages, and be able to distinguish each one from one another

when i created the folders and put my emails in there, i can't tell pop from exchange, where as in 2.36, exchange was blue, pop was red,

any suggestions?
tonyiyoob@comcast.net

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
MaxMan, I feel the same way, the messaging app in 2.36 was great, you had different colors and icons in the notification bar, blue for exchange work, email rd for pop

I was also able to add gmail, text, so when I clicked on the messaging app, it showed 4 icons, with a # for the amount of emails, worked great, ics email is terrible

Can I get that app back?

Thx
tonyiyoob@comcast.net

Agreed, I don't like the messaging portion of ICS. I liked being able to multi-select messages and delete them, without going into each message....anyone figure out how to do that ?

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
MaxMan, I tried that but i can't name the email icons except for gmail, which is already named, i want a folder where i can see all 4 of my emails, home, work, personal, gmail, as well as my text messages, and be able to distinguish each one from one another

when i created the folders and put my emails in there, i can't tell pop from exchange, where as in 2.36, exchange was blue, pop was red,

any suggestions?
tonyiyoob@comcast.net

I don't know how to make it clearer. Re-read the thread & see if it helps. Without any 3rd party utility you can create group of shortcuts by simply dragging one atop another. This group is effectively a folder although it will appear as the initial icon with any additional stacked behind it. This GROUP can be named. To change the default name of any INDIVIDUAL icons you'd have to recreate them with a 3rd party utility such as the one I mentioned in the posts above. To use the group just tap it once and it will open exactly like a folder would to reveal the individual shortcut icons.

As to your numerous email accounts, it would be simple enough to have different icons if you were using different email clients for each of them. If not, you can just set up the multiple accounts using the default app (I do) and switch between accounts much like you would using different identities in Outlook Express or similar clients. Mine is set up for the default email to handle 3 Comcast POP3 mail accounts with my Gmail app restricted to Gmail only. In other words, I click on my mail folder and I'm presented with the stock email icon and Gmail icon. I'd select the stock app to access any of the 3 mail accounts assigned to it. For Gmail only, I'd naturally go to the Gmail icon. No matter how the accounts are assigned they can be individually configured how to sync, set default, push, etc.

Last edited: