Ice Cream Sandwich killed my battery life...

jefftones

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, new to the forum so forgive me if this has been discussed already. I have the Ice Cream Sandwich update for my Razr Maxx. The problem I'm having is that you no longer seem to be able to turn off 4g and use 3g only, like on the original os. As a result, my phone is constantly searching for 4g and draining my battery. I used to be able to go days without charging before the update. Now it sits on my desk at work and is at about 70% charge when I leave if I don't use it for anything, and less if I do. I have to charge it every night and leave it plugged in until I go to work to keep the battery from draining in 4g mode. Is there something I can do to turn off the 4g and just use 3g so I can go back to my normal Razr Maxx battery life? (yes, I have gps turned etc off...none of my settings or applications are different from before the update).

Thanks!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure there's some apps available that can control 3G/4G. But I haven't used them so I don't recall the names. someone on here will know them though.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, why are you against charging it when you sleep? Mine goes from 10% to full in about three hours with the wall charger. Are you away from any outlets for days on end? (That's an honest question, not snark or sarcasm)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Android Central.

jefftones

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
only against HAVING to do it to keep my battery from draining while I sleep. Never needed to before. Now my Razr Maxx is no better battery life-wise than my old Droid X.

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I charge in my car to and from work and that helps keep the battery level up.
I also put the phone in sleep mode when i go to bed and the phone is at the same %age when i wake up.
Also you could try installing Easy Battery Saver; ever since i have my battery life has been much better.

SoccerRef12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I do believe that ICS is tougher on the battery than GB. I plug my Maxx in at night to fully recharge. It will last all day under normal use. I use the car charger for navigation. For an Android, all day on one battery charge is good!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not to be rude, but I kinda get frustrated at all these battery threads that we've been seeing on here, simply because we don't want to "have" to plug in the phone at night while we sleep. I mean if someone's complaint is honestly that they don't like having to do that, I have nothing I can suggest to help. Except to prioritize what is actually important in life.

jefftones

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone is missing the point of my post (especially the last person). My point is that my battery life was awesome...almost as good as advertised...BEFORE Ice Cream Sandwich came along and now my phone is constantly searching for 4g which is causing unneccessary battery drain. The battery itself is much better than average and I would like to get back to what it was.My post was not to complain about the Razr Maxx battery..it was to see if anyone had a solution to the drastic change that ocurred when I was no longer to turn off 4g. That's all.

So before you feel the need to jump on and criticize people for "complaining", maybe first read the original post and figure out what it is we're talking about. And if you feel the need to comment on someone else's post and add nothing valuable to the conversation or relevant at all, perhaps you should take a step back and "prioritize what is actually important in life".

Now, if anyone can help out with the question this post actually asks, please let me know :)

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
LTE on/off will do what you want. It goes into the phones system settings and allows you to turn off 4g. Change to CDMA auto prl.

I think everyone is missing the point of my post (especially the last person). My point is that my battery life was awesome...almost as good as advertised...BEFORE Ice Cream Sandwich came along and now my phone is constantly searching for 4g which is causing unneccessary battery drain. The battery itself is much better than average and I would like to get back to what it was.My post was not to complain about the Razr Maxx battery..it was to see if anyone had a solution to the drastic change that ocurred when I was no longer to turn off 4g. That's all.

So before you feel the need to jump on and criticize people for "complaining", maybe first read the original post and figure out what it is we're talking about. And if you feel the need to comment on someone else's post and add nothing valuable to the conversation or relevant at all, perhaps you should take a step back and "prioritize what is actually important in life".

Now, if anyone can help out with the question this post actually asks, please let me know :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Edited by Myself. Sorry I came off rude in my previous post. Just a little frustrated at all the discussions about the same topic on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradenfontaine

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My network options are:
Global
LTE/CDMA
GSM/UMTS.

Am I missing something? Thanks for the help. This is getting frustrating :)

Get the app called "LTE on/off".

It's not in your stock settings. Go to the Google Play Store and download the app "LTE on/off"

Last edited:

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
To the OP.. Do you honestly think that ANY phone gets its "advertised" battery life? No phone I have bought ever comes CLOSE.

An Android phone that will last 18 hours on medium use is STILL a very, very good phone. That's exactly what I get- after about 18 hours I'm at 15-20% battery, and I put it on the charger. Just because a phone is advertised as getting a certain life, that is usually with "no use" and in standby the whole time, not with occasional use.

P.S.- I will use LTE On/Off tomorrow, and keep my connection set to 3G unless 4G is absolutely needed. I will let you know if my battery life drastically improves.

Last edited:

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Get the app called "LTE on/off".

It's not in your stock settings. Go to the Google Play Store and download the app "LTE on/off"

Yup, get the app in the play store then you can change the setting to what I said. Been using it since day one. FYI everytime you do a reboot you have to go back and change the setting from 4g.

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Try to turn off your carrier network (4g or 3g) when you are not using it. The way to turn off the carrier network is Settings> Wireless and network> Mobile networks> Uncheck "Use packet data" If you want to reuse the carrier network, simply recheck "Use packet data" Hope this helps! :D:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
just remember to use the search function up top ;) also i believe when you are filling in the title for a new thread it will give you suggestions to similar threads already being discussed. enjoy!

Reactions: LegalAmerican

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, I used the LTE on/off app, and changing to 3G for just today gave me only slightly improved battery life.. Not worth it to me- I'll stick to the default.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL