Lapdock - should I get one?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I will get a refurb Razr Maxx in a couple days to replace my Thunderbolt. I'm intrigued by the lapdock. For those of you who have one, do you still like it? I've heard the Lapdock 500 model isn't available anymore by Verizon, but the 100 model is still available. Should I get the Lapdock 100 or 500 model? I don't fully understand some things I've read regarding ICS update for the lapdock, is this a bad thing to have ICS installed? Anything else I should know about getting a lapdock? Thanks, Casey

jrr10

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the lapdock 100 last week. I personally like it and will use it for notes in class and to use around campus so I don't need to carry around my rather large laptop. That being said it does not replace a laptop and can't be used as a fully functional laptop. ICS basically makes it a tablet without the touchscreen but a keyboard instead. This is why I bought it for school to take notes on and do word processing on the go. Overall I am quite satisfied with it. Sprint has one on sale for 100 which is where I bought mine. I am not sure if it would be worth it for 200 like Verizon is offering.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if I can buy the lapdock 100 at Sprint to use for my Verizon Razr Maxx?

As to ICS, is this installed on the phone, or the lapdock, or both? If installed, will ICS make some things incompatible from some posts I've read?

Have you been using the lapdock for charging or topping off your Razr phone? If so, works well, and for how many hours?

Thanks! Casey

jrr10

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought it from Sprint and it works with my Maxx. So yes, it will work. ICS is installed on your Maxx and since it is installed the lapdock runs Webtop 3.0. This is the newest lapdock version that runs with ICS. I have not had any problems with apps yet, however I have not used it too much. Everything I have used so far has been smooth. I never really needed the lapdock to charge my phone but it automatically does when you are docked to the lapdock. I believe you can adjust some settings as to whether the lapdock or phone takes priority in charging but I haven't looked into it too much.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Can I go to a local Sprint store to buy a lapdock for the Verizon Razr Maxx? Why is Sprint selling the lapdock? What phone is suppose to work for the Sprint lapdock?

jrr10

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine online. Not sure if they have them in store. You could call and ask. And I think it's the photon? Though I'm not sure. It says what phone in the description on the website.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! A local Sprint store told me it's only available online. If I end up getting this, it will probably be through a local Verizon store, plus I get 20% off on accessories.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I went to a local Verizon store, and a sales clerk looked up the price of the Lapdock 100 and told me it costs $199, and that my usual 20 or 25% discount on accessories does not apply. I will have to pay full price. Well that sucks! Was also told the Lapdock 500 is discontinued and none is available within a 100 mile radius. Double suck!

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I purchased this lapdock off of Amazon for $65. It requires that you make a modification which is pretty simple and you can use with your Maxx. You can Google for information including some video's on how to make the change. Read through the reviews for information as well from those who have made the modification.

If you don't want to make the modification you can order these cables for $27.99.

You can also find the Lapdock 500 on Amazon, but $350 - ouch!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i am currently playing with a lapdock 100 at a verizon store. i am trying to play videos at CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News but when clicking on any video, i get prompted to install flash in order to play videos. i tried installing flash, but no success. does the lapdock 100 not play videos. also, why the shift button on this thing is weird, and i cannot capitalize a letter when i want to, is this normal. i can't even get a question mark character to work.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I did it! I bought the Motorola Laptop 100 at a Verizon store. Question please: why is the cord in the back too short by 1 or 2 inches?? I can't insert the Razr phone into the slot because the connected cord is too short. Instead, I have to lie the Razr on its back on top of the slot hole. Doesn't make sense.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, I did it! I bought the Motorola Laptop 100 at a Verizon store. Question please: why is the cord in the back too short by 1 or 2 inches?? I can't insert the Razr phone into the slot because the connected cord is too short. Instead, I have to lie the Razr on its back on top of the slot hole. Doesn't make sense.

I've read that you can twist the phone so the front faces the back, the cord will stretch across the face of the phone, but the are rubber coated so shouldn't cause scratch. Should then sit in slot securely. Btw, what did you pay at vzw for this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Lapdock 500 pro for my Maxx and collective use totraled up to about 20 minutes before I sold it again. Granted, this was before ICS hit, so we top 3.0 wasn't around yet, but the UI wasn't very user-friendly and that track pad did me dirty. I bought it on eBay for $240 originally (a steal for the pro) and sold it back so I could replace it with the Nexus 7.

But if what you're looking for is a companion accessory for your phone, then by all means get the lapdock. Just know that it's not a laptop and it's not a tablet. If you keep an open mind with it, you'll love it. The problem with me was that it just didn't fit my wants/needs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Lapdock 100 for $199 plus tax. Unfortunately, my normal 20% off discount on accessory purchase did NOT apply to the lapdock according to Verizon. That sucks. I also bought 2 HDMI cords, a 15 feet and 5 feet cord. Plus bought a Universal Portable Charger, plus a Go Green portable charger. These 2 accessories are for extra battery power to charge up a cell phone via the USB cord. I bought these 2 different brands because each had different features, plus size/weight differences. These 2 different batteries are approx $40 each, but I got a discount because I also bought the HDMI cord, therefore I got a discount on buying 3 accessories (not including lapdock).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084