Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cubetop
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default External GPS Amtenna

When is someone going to come up with an external GPS antenna?

I do a lot of off road hiking and running. A better antenna would give me a more accurate mileage and pace report.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Default Re: External GPS Amtenna

Wouldn't it be better to use a GPS designed for that purpose? Anyway, the GPS on the Maxx can get you to within 30 feet pretty easily. How much closer do you need? Even geocaching doesn't need much closer than that.

I think putting an external GPS antenna on the Maxx would be an interesting hack though.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It would work if it didn't keep losing the signal. It loses it out in the open when I'm running on the road!

I like to run as light as I can so the less I take with, the better.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Your best bet is probably to use a dedicated BT GPS puck.
    Ed - Klingon women are HOT! (A Trekkie for life)
    Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
    Your best bet is probably to use a dedicated BT GPS puck.
    Good idea. I have one from Garmin (which I never use - I bought it for use with my Blackberry, back when Verizon was blocking GPS) and it's REALLY close. WAAS enabled. The Garmin BT GPS receivers are really good.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Garmin bt doesn't appear to be compatible with a razr maxx

The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

what's an Amtenna? is that an AM signal booster?

if you keep losing GPS signal make sure your Smart Actions are not enabled to do so. also turn on your wifi and believe it or not you will get a better GPS lock. mine gets me within 1-3 meters usually.
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE

Quote Originally Posted by laparker150 View Post
    Garmin bt doesn't appear to be compatible with a razr maxx

I'm not sure how it could not be, but I will try mine when I get home. In any case there are a million GPS BT gadgets, ranging from the Garmin to no-name keychain sized jobs.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Braden- amtenna is a blatant mis-spelling of the word "antenna". I wish I had the capability of editing either on the forum or on my app.

The garmin site says it's bt gps works on devices with windows os.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Oh, and I'll try having my wireless on next time
    Thanks

The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

laparker150 if i cant pick on you then what's the fun. all in good humor. but yes, try having wifi on, helps me a ton. 5 points goes to who can tell our OP why.

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by laparker150 View Post
    Braden- amtenna is a blatant mis-spelling of the word "antenna". I wish I had the capability of editing either on the forum or on my app.

The garmin site says it's bt gps works on devices with windows os.

Idk why it says that. It works fine with Blackberry OS6.

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    laparker150 if i cant pick on you then what's the fun. all in good humor. but yes, try having wifi on, helps me a ton. 5 points goes to who can tell our OP why.
    ME ME ME!

Most mobile GPS rely on an "assisted" lock first in case gps satellites aren't in view. A-GPS uses tower triangulation to acquire position with an accuracy of approximately 30 meters. During that time, the phone should have sufficient data from the gps satellites to then switch to a "true" gps bearing. If not, it can remain on a-gps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by cube_top View Post
    ME ME ME!

Most mobile GPS rely on an "assisted" lock first in case gps satellites aren't in view. A-GPS uses tower triangulation to acquire position with an accuracy of approximately 30 meters. During that time, the phone should have sufficient data from the gps satellites to then switch to a "true" gps bearing. If not, it can remain on a-gps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Also, get this, your wifi can pick up on known locations, tagged by the IP address. even if you cannot connect to these known locations, there GPS coordinates are visible, allowing your wifi to do the same as your cell radio and triangulate your position. of course if you are 50 miles from any civilization this will do you no good. but interesting info none the less.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Having wifi on won't help you much if you're hiking in the middle of no where, just gonna drain your battery more than using GPS by itself. Have toy tried flashing the .215 leak? It locks on right away and I have never lost a signal even in thick buildings

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

I just found the problem with the Garmin, or any external GPS. While my Maxx can connect to it and see it's there, there is no way to tell the Maxx to use the data from an external GPS receiver, unlike my Blackberry which allowed you to select your source of GPS data. Sorry

The Google Play Store has several good apps for external GPS signal "handshaking" that work well. I use Bluetooth GPS Provider most of the time, but check for any of the bluetooth GPS apps that don't require root AND have high ratings. You'll have better odds of compatibility with your device(s).