Outgoing text messages being converted to little square symbols

droid4607

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx through Verizon. I've gotten several comments from friends and family that my text messages sometimes come through to them as little square symbols(they also have verizon but not smart phones).

The only thing I could think of but haven't been able to confirm is if I use "extra" punctuation e.g. "..." or extra spaces between sentences.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks,
Chris

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Outgoing text messages being converted to little square symbo

or if you're using a 3rd party messaging app and your msg exceeds 160 characters your texts will become garbled. Make sure your messaging app is set to split messages that exceed 160 characters.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
or if you're using a 3rd party messaging app and your msg exceeds 160 characters your texts will become garbled. Make sure your messaging app is set to split messages that exceed 160 characters.

I thought Verizon automatically split messages after 160? This only applies to sending messages to people that are on a different carrier. You can send a message 7 pages long to someone on Verizon before it gets split

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

droid4607

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Outgoing text messages being converted to little square symbo

Thanks for all the info, I'll mess around with it.

I tried Braden's advice and started using SMS popup, whether that fixes it or not, I like that ap.

The "non-supported" idea seems like it could have some validity. I'll test it out when I have their phones side by side and see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks All...

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Really? I didn't know that. When I was with Sprint, I had to configure Handcent SMS to split my messages after 160.

I thought Verizon automatically split messages after 160? This only applies to sending messages to people that are on a different carrier. You can send a message 7 pages long to someone on Verizon before it gets split

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Sprint may be that way. But I know att and Verizon automatically split. Att was the first, Verizon had done it for the last 6 years or so. If it's Verizon to verizon, att to att etc it will allow one continuous message up to 7 messages.

I remember when I had att and had this feature, then came to Verizon and was only allowed to send messages of 160 characters. Man it really sucked having to split messages by myself

Reactions: jeffrok