NEED HELP: After ICS Upgrade, Car Phone via Blue Tooth

Adam L.

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I own a 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan and I'm a Verizon customer. For years I had a Motorola "dumb" phone that worked via Bluetooth just fine in my G35. In May of this year, I got the Razr Maxx. It did not come with ICS installed when I bought it. The local Verizon store helped me set up the new phone and the Bluetooth worked in my car. In or about June, I received from Motorola the ICS software upgrade sent to my phone and installed it on my phone. Since then, my Bluetooh won't function correctly in the car for phone calling (which is the way I use my Bluetooth) and I have to use the phone in the traditional manner (hand-to-ear) with the Bluetooth turned off. I went back to the Verizon store and worked with the very nice gentleman who helped me in the past. He could not resolve the problem. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon tech support, but they could not resolve my problem either. We tried to unpair and re-pair the phone to the vehicle, but that didn't fix it. We also deleted out all phones from the car's memory and started from scratch as a new phone. That didn't fix it either. Although my car recognizes the phone as paired, it will not work correctly. When I receive a call in the car with the bluetooth on, the phone rings both on my phone and through the speaker of the car, but the conversation can take place only on the phone -- i.e. I have to hold the phone to my ear to hear the caller and I must speak to the caller through the phone itself as if I weren't even in the car. When I make a call out, there is nothing audible through the car speaker or the phone itself, so I can't even tell that it is ringing on the other end, and I can't tell that anyone has picked up on the other end. Nothing. And the phone of the person I am calling does not even ring, even though I can see the call timer ticking away on my Razr.

Has anyone had this type of problem and does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this? The Verizon store representative is suggesting that we need to a do some kind of reset (not sure exactly what term he used) to "factory settings." I don't know exactly what this is, but apparently it will cause me to have to start from scratch and will cause me to lose whatever data/email/texts I have on the phone but will still leave me with ICS. I don't really care about that if it works, but I don't believe he is certain that this will solve the problem.

(And all of this is on the heels of email functionality issues I had following the ICS upgrade. That has been resolved, but this overall bugginess is very frustrating, taking up a lot of my time, and making me wish I had chosen another phone and perhaps even an iphone.)

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
A Factory reset is probably your best bet to even see if this works. As far as loosing all your data/emails/text... sure you will loose your text, but your data will still be on your SD card if that is where you are storing most of it... and your emails will still be there (emails are stored on the cloud, not on your device anyways).

With a factory reset you will have to download all your apps, but anything you purchased will still be there in Google Play and can be downloaded and installed again.

If you want to trouble shoot your problems than a factory reset is your next step.

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
On your phone: Go to Settings, Bluetooth, (select your paired vehicle), then click on the "gear/setting" icon in the line with your paired vehicle. In the next view are both boxes checked? (Phone Audio, Media Audio)?

Adam L.

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Fatboy97 - re Factory Reset - a second Verizon Service Tech rep I've spoken with didn't think it would work and didn't seem to think I should try. I am waiting for a Motoral Level 3 rep to call me back. They were supposed to within 24-48 hours. It's been nearly 3 full days. Go figure. I'm really not happy with Motorola right now.

Jclake - Phone Audio was checked. I am not troubleshooting for Media.

I just was able to successfully pair and operate the blue tooth in my G35 using my brother's Samsung Galaxy S3. It worked fine. And my Motorola Razr Maxx worked with the bluetooth fine in his Hyndai Sonata. So this could be an odd problem with G35 and Razr Maxx. How Motoroal doesn't know this is beyond me. Both Verizon and I have found at least twor other instances where a G35 owner was having a similar problem.

Adam L.

May 11, 2012
Visit site
So, I spoke at length with Motorola last Thursday, but they couldn't resolve my issue and escalated it to Level 3. I was told a Level 3 rep would call me within 24-48 hours. They didn't, so I called them today. Despite having spoken to a third representative today (two on Thursday and one today), no one until the rep today enlightened me with the news that there is a "known compatability issue" between Motorola's ICS and Infiniti/Nissan vehicles' bluetooth. "They" are working on it supposedly, but cannot tell me when, if ever, the problem will be resolved. The rep seemed to suggest that I shouldn't wait around for the fix. I asked about a factory reset, but she didn't know if it would work. I could try it. Thanks for that! The rep even suggested I should speak to my carrier - Verizon - about getting a new phone. I can assure you it won't be a Motorola, since their three models that have ICS -- the Droid 4, the Razr and the Razor Maxx -- are going to have this problem. Certainly the Razr Maxx has this problem. Not sure what to turn to from here. I guess I will try the factory reset, then have to move on to another manufacturer. I did check and my brother's Samsung Galaxy S3; it worked with my vehicle's bluetooth, so maybe that. I'm very disappointed.

mbkb9121

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Fyi
I had the same problem did a factory reset which did not help. Had Verizon send me another phone and it too did not work. I went round and round with Motorola Nissan verizon and Bose stereo systems and they all point fingers at each other. So I went back and found an old Bluetooth headset that cost 25 dollars 5 years ago and lo and behold it works great.

So it looks like I'm a pinball in a pinball machine and just have to realize that some things can't get fixed as easily as we all think it should

So I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for it to get fixed. Sorry for that news but it is what it is

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The BT is definitely buggy in ICS, it often locks up and stays connected after exiting the car and requires a reboot to fix. I hope they are working on a patch. Every android phone i owned had some sort of BT bugs to deal with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Adam L.

May 11, 2012
Visit site
2ND UPDATE:

I spoke with Infiniti USA. I learned from their websited that the Razr Maxx is not on their "approved" list of phones, but the guy I spoke with really didn't know much. Infiniti's Blue Tooth Hot Line is 866-227-4255. That's my next call. I have to look more into a work around that would let me use some other kind of BT phone functionality in the car. Anyway, I'll let you know what I learn from Infiniti.

mbkb9129 - you said: "So I went back and found an old Bluetooth headset that cost 25 dollars 5 years ago and lo and behold it works great." Can you tell me more about that? How does that work - simply attached attached and to your ear? Seems like just having the old wire/earphone thing we all had a one time. I have one and hated using it. Is there no work around to get it through the speaker in the dash for both incoming and outgoing calls?

iresq

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
One would think that with today's technology, blue tooth would just be blue tooth. One protocol. Why would/should the razr by be any different than anyone else's device?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

leh48

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
This is my first post, so please bear with me.

In searching the threads, this seems the issue closest to mine. I upgraded my Maxx yesterday to ICS, the 6.16.211 Verizon release for the US.

As soon as I completed the upgrade, the Bluetooth connectivity to my Panasonic cordless phone system stopped connecting. The cell and the cordless units will pair, but will not connect.

I have tried several other Bluetooth devices, including another Android smartphone running a version of 2.X. Everything pairs and connects.

I called Verizon (my carrier), they passed me off to Motorola which immediately elevated me to a level 2 tech. To say I was not pleased with the Motorola answer would be an understatement.

Motorola's level 2 told me some Bluetooth devices will no longer connect. SAY WHAT????

I asked if I could revert back to my previous OS version. No, I cannot. Reverting BACK would void my warranty.

So it seems that ICS has a SERIOUS bug with Bluetooth support. As I am only dealing with a home based system, I have been able to work around the problem by forwarding my cell to my home phone (I work out of my house, so I have both a land line and cell).

I have been able to connect with one of my two vehicles (I have not driven the other yet) with no problem.

My recommendation is if you really need Bluetooth functionality, DO NOT upgrade to ICS.

fsmith06

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the same exact problem with my 2007 G35's bluetooth. I did a factory reset, but that did nothing. I have cleaned out my cache, again nothing. I am very fustrated since I know have to break the law to talk on the phone in the car. I even tried to call google, but did not get any where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the same exact problem with my 2007 G35's bluetooth. I did a factory reset, but that did nothing. I have cleaned out my cache, again nothing. I am very fustrated since I know have to break the law to talk on the phone in the car. I even tried to call google, but did not get any where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As fyi, no problem connecting to 2011 G37.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like you contacted everybody except for Infiniti... I think someone above posted an Infiniti Bluetooth hotline. Bluetooth is pretty much a standard for devices to talk to other devices... and bob61 just said he can talk to his 2011 Infiniti, and I've never had any issues with my 2012 MINI. I think Infiniti would be your best bet to get a fix or some answers.

bmaz121

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This is an update, I think to a question I had before. My blue tooth on my Google Chinese phone ICS 4.0.9 has a similar problem. The blue tooth works once and when turned off, I have to do a battery removal and reboot. Then it works one time again. I found that the car radio would not play the voice when I used the Navigation so I downloaded a BTmono to the phone and start it before I start the navigation. That may help you in this situation so give it a try. I have found nothing on the bluetooth problems and am glad just to be able to use it as much as I can. I use a $30 Chinese cigarette lighter plugin car system. It uses the FM transmitter to pass call from the BT connection to the car stereo. Another solution you might try.

cubby65

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well your not alone about this, my problem is exactly the same as yours and I haven't found an answer other than it might be corrected with upgrade to "Jelly Bean" ICS. Problem with that is no one seems to know when that might be available for phone. Wonder why Nissan models are affected with this, wonder if it is the profiles that are accepted by the blue tooth device in the vehicle?

Philip600rr

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I would go to the dealer and update the software for your cars audio system. Then recheck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance