Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

ROM
    Gingerbread

Default Re: Razr Maxx suddenly very slow

If your rooted, try installing the launcher from the droid m. My phone has been running great. Not recommended for everyone but I love it. Install isn't the most straight forward. See the circle launcher thread for files and instructions.

Here is the link:
    Razr M Launcher,Circle Widgets , Notification Count, and few stock app on Razr

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by MrHost; 12-04-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Braden, once you identify these apps, is there a way to make sure they don't re-start after you stop them without disabling it altogether?

Also, is there a way to minimize what apps run all the time? Thanks!

Sent from my Unrooted Droid Razr Maxx Using Tapatalk
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by awriternot View Post
    Braden, once you identify these apps, is there a way to make sure they don't re-start after you stop them without disabling it altogether?

Also, is there a way to minimize what apps run all the time? Thanks!

i believe you can disable some of the apps. from the app drawer long press on the culprit, and drag it to the top of the screen where it says app info. from there it should give you an option to disable the app, or uninstall.
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE

My Maxx also starting running very slow over time. I tried clearing caches without any improvement.
    Noticed the stock email app was running even slower then most other apps.
    Did a check and found I had about 1000 old emails in my trash folder many with attachments.
    It took a while to get rid of them but when the phone finished I was back to full speed.
    Hope this helps.
    Dennis

I found this app called All in One Toolbox. Made a HUGE difference!

The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

keep an eye on that app, i had it before but found it to be slightly intrusive at times when it came to memory hogging.

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

Thanked by:
    awriternot likes this.

Braden I just bought the system pro you recommended but when I went to by the SD Maid, it said it was for rooted devices. Do you have a recommendation for a non rooted device?

The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

No my friend because without root you wont be able to clean up any crap left behind

Let system pro run for a full 24 hours and let us know how you like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanked by:

OK, so I have had it monitoring since I bought it a few days ago....but...lol.....I'm not sure what I'm looking at or how to read it. What do I look for when I'm scrolling through history? What #'s or readings would be significant? Please explain it to me like I am 5. Thanks!

Ok where is Braden?

bradenfontaine likes this.

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts

I was having this issue. Try installing a cpu process analyzer. I did and a mediaserver process was eating up all my cpu time. A search led me to a thread on here that recommended clearing your cache in google maps. I did that this morning and it seems to have helped.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by awriternot View Post
    OK, so I have had it monitoring since I bought it a few days ago....but...lol.....I'm not sure what I'm looking at or how to read it. What do I look for when I'm scrolling through history? What #'s or readings would be significant? Please explain it to me like I am 5. Thanks!

can you take a screenshot of your history list so i can help break it down and explain what we are looking at please? sorry ive been a little AFK as im trying to move. post the screenshot and ill walk you through it

The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by makinthemagic View Post
    I was having this issue. Try installing a cpu process analyzer. I did and a mediaserver process was eating up all my cpu time. A search led me to a thread on here that recommended clearing your cache in google maps. I did that this morning and it seems to have helped.
    glad we could help SetCPU is a good app to adjust your CPU settings, and CPU Spy is a good one to let you know if your phone is going into deep sleep mode, or if it is staying at a high CPU load all day. very good for monitoring.

Thanked by:

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by cubetop View Post
    Think I may have to try this app. My Maxx has been doing this lately. I did a factory reset and cleared the cache a few times. Usually 1-4 days later, it starts slowing down again. Apps take 3 seconds to kick in, etc. Never did this before ICS. (Thought I'm not blaming ICS nor am I disappointed with ICS.)

As usual, bradenfontaine comes in with the fix. Well done sir, well done!
    I'll blame it for you then. Every time they do this to us in the name of progress, they set us back in some measure of stability and reliability and that ticks me off. Had to go through this with a Maxx & now with a Maxx HD. I've performed 2 factory rests now and can't say the battery life or stability is near what it was pre-JB. Testing is ongoing.
    I can tell you this right now though, it does not manage running apps very well. When I check running apps, I'm constantly over 700 now which sucks. Before it was in the 500s. Same situation I had going from GB to ICS. I've disabled a lot of apps I don't use and still seeing higher use. Not happy at all.

Sent using the amazing RAZR Maxx HD
    Last edited by rbess1965; 12-19-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"

Does the System Panel Lite version work as well for the Razr? Or should I go ahead and buy the full version?

(I'll make sure to click "thanks")

I too downloaded and installed. Fixed my slow operating problem instantly. Not sure how, but I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by albe305 View Post
    My Maxx also starting running very slow over time. I tried clearing caches without any improvement.
    Noticed the stock email app was running even slower then most other apps.
    Did a check and found I had about 1000 old emails in my trash folder many with attachments.
    It took a while to get rid of them but when the phone finished I was back to full speed.
    Hope this helps.
    Dennis
    Ack! I just found I have over 1600! Never even thought about it. Bye bye trash. Thanks for the heads up!

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

My Razr Maxx has also been running slow. It especially runs slow when I am using the SwiftKey keyboard. It sometimes take a long time (a few seconds) to register my taps on the keyboard. Those of you who are running slow, are you using SwiftKey?
    Verizon Razr Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by russelb View Post
    My Razr Maxx has also been running slow. It especially runs slow when I am using the SwiftKey keyboard. It sometimes take a long time (a few seconds) to register my taps on the keyboard. Those of you who are running slow, are you using SwiftKey?
    Yes, I'm running Swiftkey and my phone has steadily gotten slower just about to the point of unuseable.
    I just did a cache wipe to see if it helps.
    I wondered if that was a problem, Swiftkey. I guess we could remove it and see if the phone does better. I love swiftkey though.
    hmmmm
    Galaxy S4
    XOOM
    Tab 2
    rootless

ROM
    Gingerbread

Nope. Removing swift key didn't help at all. I disabled it not removed.

I'm trying the maps cache clear thing next as I did cache a portion for a trip a month ago.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Razr suddenly very slow

THANKS! Now need to clear out remaining files from deleted apps. LMK if you can recommend anything for that.

I'm convinced that either Verizon and/or Google roll out "updates" that intentionally slow down phone that are about a year old or so. I know it sounds paranoid but my Razr Maxx is my 5th Verizon Android-based phone that I've owned over the last several years, and the exact same thing has happened with each phone. Even after doing a factory reset and only reinstalling a few of the very basic apps, my phone quickly becomes slow to the point that it's almost not useable. And it's not just web-based downloads, it's simple UI things that are reacting at a fraction of their original (pre-update) speeds.

I believe that this is done intentionally to motivate customers to upgrade. If my Maxx ran the way it should, and did for about a year, I would have no reason to consider an upgrade however, because the phone has become so difficult to use I've found myself at the Verizon store looking at new phones. . . . and AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, my contract is up next month and I'm eligible for a *NEW* phone. I just need to re-up for 2 MORE YEARS and I can have a phone that worked at the speed that my current phone did just a few short months ago. . . . . Coincidence? I think not
    4xxblessed likes this.

I am having the same problems, and unfortunately, these problems started with the latest upgrade back in March. Not only has my phone slowed down, but I also drop calls regularly, where I did not before.

With that being said, if you think about it though, with the advance of technology, the increase in size of apps to account for the newer phones, these phones are going to slow down about a year after getting them. It is kind of like a computer. The longer you use it, the slower it gets, because of all of the stuff we put on them.

Unfortunately, the carriers do not allow you to upgrade at a subsidized price every year, but instead every 2 years. I thankfully have a few extra lines on my account that are on dumb phones, so I have been upgrading every 18 months instead. I had a the Droid X and liked it, until it got slow. Then went with the MAXX, but it now has gotten slow (in addition to the dropped calls). I finally am sick of waiting for Verizon to put a bug fix out for JB, so I am sending this one down the road and getting the S4. Although I would have preferred to upgrade to the next Moto phone, I figure I will just go ahead and get the S4 and hold that for a while, and by them, Moto will have made up their mind on what they are doing, and I can upgrade back to Moto then.

Same problem with my Maxx. Especially battery life. Tried Smart Actions, and I hate it, unless I don't really understand it. Just disabled Smart Actions. Was that right thing to do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

I disabled Smart Actions a long time ago. I don't get much lag on my Maxx. When I do, a reboot clears things up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast