Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: Razr Maxx suddenly very slow

Quote Originally Posted by James Shride View Post
    I had Chrome as well, and got rid of that turd app. The device is back to being useful again.
    Ya, chrome would run horribly on my Razr Maxx, and I was hesitant to even use it on my newly purchased Maxx because of those issues. Seems to run butter smooth on the new Maxx though. I'll have to keep up with regular clearing of the cache on this phone, and hopefully after 2 years it will still be as snappy as day one.

In the end, I hardly ran anything on the Razr Maxx and it was still laggy as a beast. Maybe a factory reset might have helped it, but I'm glad to have finally been able to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrobi24 View Post

In the end, I hardly ran anything on the Razr Maxx and it was still laggy as a beast. Maybe a factory reset might have helped it, but I'm glad to have finally been able to move on.
    I did a factory reset on my Razr Maxx a few weeks ago and everything was great - ran like brand new. After about a month, it is back to it's old laggy self.
    Jamfish likes this.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FastMoneyPlaya View Post
    I did a factory reset on my Razr Maxx a few weeks ago and everything was great - ran like brand new. After about a month, it is back to it's old laggy self.
    Doesn't seem worth the hassle if it only helped for a month. I've been debating doing a factory reset, but this comment makes me think it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Doesn't seem worth the hassle if it only helped for a month. I've been debating doing a factory reset, but this comment makes me think it's not worth it.
    It's not a tremendous hassle - I think I only wasted about an hour or so re-installing all my apps. I ran backup manager before the reset, so when I rebooted all my contacts were restored. My photos in my gallery came back. The only pain is resetting mail accounts, passwords, and configuring the apps back on the home page

Can you tell me what happens with a reset? I feel like all the task managers are over my head so I end up not using them to their full capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Matteson View Post
    Can you tell me what happens with a reset? I feel like all the task managers are over my head so I end up not using them to their full capacity.
    A factory data reset completely wipes your phone and makes it just like the day you got it. Any app you installed is erased, and all factory-installed apps are restored to their original version. When you restart the phone after the reset, you'll have to enter your Google account again, and then you'll be prompted to update your apps. The Android version will not revert back to your original version, though--that will remain updated.

If you had "Automatic Restore" checked under Settings>Backup & reset, then a number of your apps from Google Play might automatically start installing. This might be to your advantage, but if there was some app that you installed before that you were suspecting of causing problems, you might not want it to install automatically, in which case you should uncheck "Automatic Restore" before doing the reset.

All SMS will be erased, as well as any photos you took that were saved directly to the phone's memory.

The lag issue was so bad on mine it made the phone unusable. I don't understand why this seems to happen every time my phone gets over 18 months old. Maybe some sinister plan by the carriers to make us buy new phones??

I did find a fix that seems to work pretty well, but not without some issues. I had someone send me a fix that turns on Developer Options. Set Background Process Limit to 2 and it seems to work very well. However, I noticed that sometimes I don't get messages for a while. Might be that the process is not running? I'm planning to factory default the phone anyway, which has not been done for a long time.

Just my $.02

It was recommended on another blog to try the Clean Master app. It's free on the Play store, gets 5 stars, and seems to work well on my MAXX. There's a one touch button that you can hit that will instantly clear your cache of everything that is slowing you down. I run it a couple of times a day and my phone runs well now.
    SoccerRef12 likes this.

Erasing my text messages (the ones with a lot of threads and photos) worked for me too, thanks!

After scanning through this thread, I disabled Chrome on my Maxx. Now I only did this yesterday so it hasn't been that long, but I must say that the phone seems consistently more responsive and less buggy. Weird. Still looking forward to upgrading though...

This app worked wonders, great call, it was money well spent. Thank You.

Towards the top of this post, bradenfontaine suggested that an app called SystemPanel was great for figuring out what has been hogging resources. I installed it yesterday and let it run.

Over the past day, pretty much every time I pick up the phone, it lags, won't accept inputs, struggled to put a call through and was generally a nuisance and, sure enough, each time it happened (and as soon as I was able) I would load up SystemPanel and it would reveal that, yes, there was plenty of memory available but the CPU was close to maxed out.

Now, with a day's worth of data, I come to look up what has indeed been hogging the resources and everything goes very bashful. System processes are top at about 20%, System is next at 2.8% and then all the rest are below 1%.

Those stats don't look too bad to me. And yet, every time I pick up the phone, I have to wait a couple of minutes before I can do so much as to type a text message.

I've tried task killers, I've tried watchdog, I schedule a cache clean up once a week. I have done a full system reinstall but, every time it only seems to be a temporary fix and a week or two later everything is bogged down to the point of being nearly unusable. Anyone got any ideas?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234