Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!! AMOLED SUCKS!!

Motorola clearly is capable of better, as shown with the Atrix HD and it's gorgeous display.

I can see the AMOLED matrix from arms length. Unacceptable. Also, you'd think with the screen blotch issue, they'd cut ties with Samsung.

Also, the regular RAZR got a battery boost...I was seriously hoping for a 3500+ battery. Also, why come out with phone at speed as the other big guys...and ICS!?!?!

"Leapfrog" should be tossed around once and a while...

I've put up with substandard screens to have superior connectivity...getting annoyed now.

HTC IPS-LCD > *

The next Nexus device better not be made by Samsung...and it better not be AMOLED!
    HTC makes LCD panels now?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    HTC makes LCD panels now?

Who makes the One X screen?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Default Re: RAZR Maxx HD - Whos jumping to it?!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
    Super AMOLED is beautiful. It's in the eye of the beholder.
    Beauty is, AMOLED technology isn't:

YUK.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post

No idea who makes em, but they are beautiful. Unlike AMOLED.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Click to view quoted image

YUK.

I love my amoled screen. I think it's very pretty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

ROM
    all stock

glad i have the buy back program from best buy. i dont have an upgrade available (i dont wanna lose my unlimited data also) anyways but i will be jumping to the new version when it comes out.and not pay full retail for it.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by omie19 View Post
    glad i have the buy back program from best buy. i dont have an upgrade available (i dont wanna lose my unlimited data also) anyways but i will be jumping to the new version when it comes out.and not pay full retail for it.
    How will you not. Isn't the buy back paying you for your phone, then you pay full price for the new one?

A MAXX on Craiglslist is ~$300, whats Best Buy giving you?

I am all over this bad boy when it releases. Been waiting for just this phone.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Click to view quoted image

YUK.

What's the magnification on those shots? It just seems to me that the marked difference between screens is only when you hold the screen right up to your eyeball. My old geezer eyes (ok, I'm just 42) are starting to have some difficulty focusing on things up close anyway, so the benefits are somewhat lost on me ...
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post

Still searching. Sharp? LG?

Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    What's the magnification on those shots? It just seems to me that the marked difference between screens is only when you hold the screen right up to your eyeball. My old geezer eyes (ok, I'm just 42) are starting to have some difficulty focusing on things up close anyway, so the benefits are somewhat lost on me ...
    You know how a dead pixel sort of stands out at you? AMOLED is that way to me. I can see 'general grainyness' easily at arms length on the Galaxy S3. SLCD is simply a more accurate, higher clarity choice for phone displays.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't care. But for how easily I notice it, I can't imagine no one else does. If you can A-B compare a S3 (AMOLED) & One X/EVO LTE (SLCD) and say that the One X/EVO LTE doesn't look considerably clearer, I'd be very surprised.

SLCD is simply better than AMOLED, and to choose an inferior display is disappointing.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

You know how a dead pixel sort of stands out at you? AMOLED is that way to me. I can see 'general grainyness' easily at arms length on the Galaxy S3. SLCD is simply a more accurate, higher clarity choice for phone displays.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't care. But for how easily I notice it, I can't imagine no one else does. If you can A-B compare a S3 (AMOLED) & One X/EVO LTE (SLCD) and say that the One X/EVO LTE doesn't look considerably clearer, I'd be very surprised.

SLCD is simply better than AMOLED, and to choose an inferior display is disappointing.
    I admit other displays are better but AMOLED looks fine and I'm extremely picky. I don't care what my screen looks like if the battery isn't powerful enough to power the device on all day on its initial charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    B. Diddy and revtech like this.

I understand, but fortunately it doesn't bother me. I kind of feel bad for you--it's almost a curse to notice it so readily, and not be satisfied unless it's almost perfect. I imagine it's like someone who has perfect pitch listening to a singing group that's just a little out of tune. Anyway, I imagine that the complexities of why a company chooses one component over another is so multifactorial and convoluted that the final decision is more than just, "Well heck, let's just pick the inferior one." Economics must be a big factor, because Moto is not the big dog--that's Samsung.
    revtech likes this.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

If you build a quality device with quality components, people will pay for it. Look at the iPhone. It's a premium product at a premium price. The RAZR is supposed to be a premium product.

I think the razr HD is what the OG razr should have been. If I was on Verizon and had an upgrade it would probably be between the razr HD, or note 2 if it came to Verizon or any new nexus device announced before the HD drops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

I'm not arguing with you--I understand that you feel that the AMOLED screens are inferior, but I think you're in the fairly small minority of people who see this as a significant problem, because you're the visual analog of someone with perfect pitch. Personally, I think the Maxx is a premium product the way it is. When I look at the iPhone, I see a premium product as well, but one that is also overblown with hype and blind allegiance. When I see how small my wife's iPhone 4S's screen is compared to the Maxx's, I just don't see the advantage of the retina display.

But really, your point is well taken. Hopefully, Moto will thrive under Google and develop the resources to make future phones with the absolute best components.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

I have the razr maxx, the gs3, and will probably pick up the RAZR maxx hd

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

"Please Android Gods, deliver me from my agony....provide us with a Motorola made Nexus, with a SD card slot, 2500+mah battery and a 4.8" IPS-LCD. Amen."
    Thanked by:
    carracerz14 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

"Please Android Gods, deliver me from my agony....provide us with a Motorola made Nexus, with a SD card slot, 2500+mah battery and a 4.8" IPS-LCD. Amen."
    The least likely of those wishes is the SDcard slot, but the rest is plausible .

ROM
    all stock

How will you not. Isn't the buy back paying you for your phone, then you pay full price for the new one?

A MAXX on Craiglslist is ~$300, whats Best Buy giving you?
    I got my maxx in april i can get 400 for it until november of this year and so if the retail price of the maxx hd is is 699- 400 = 299 for a new phone

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I got my maxx in april i can get 400 for it until november of this year and so if the retail price of the maxx hd is is 699- 400 = 299 for a new phone

Think I'll just sit around and wait for a Super LCD2 HD with THX on a 3300mah battery. Ya, that'll happen :-)

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"
    B. Diddy likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

I really need to look into buying my phones from Best Buy and purchasing that buy back plan. How much is it on a $650 device?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

So here is my question for your opinions....
    I am a 'simple' user: I don't root my phones, I barely use 1GB of data a month, I mostly just talk, text, camera, play a few games, and access facebook, the internet and this forum. I am eligible for an upgrade and had pretty much made up my mind to go with the Razr Maxx (mostly for the battery and the feedback I got on call quality). But now knowing the Maxx HD will be coming hopefully sometime within the next couple months, I find myself in the dilemma of whether I should still go with the Maxx or wait for the Maxx HD.

So, looking for your opinions - Are the differences between the two worth the anticipated $100 price difference and the wait for the Maxx HD release based on what I use my phone
    for?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

"Do it before Apple forces Samsung to make trapezoidal or star-shaped phones."

Or: The Pyramid!

Last edited by Derek_B; 09-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by AmousmosesMW View Post
    So here is my question for your opinions....
    I am a 'simple' user: I don't root my phones, I barely use 1GB of data a month, I mostly just talk, text, camera, play a few games, and access facebook, the internet and this forum. I am eligible for an upgrade and had pretty much made up my mind to go with the Razr Maxx (mostly for the battery and the feedback I got on call quality). But now knowing the Maxx HD will be coming hopefully sometime within the next couple months, I find myself in the dilemma of whether I should still go with the Maxx or wait for the Maxx HD.

So, looking for your opinions - Are the differences between the two worth the anticipated $100 price difference and the wait for the Maxx HD release based on what I use my phone
    for?

Thanks.
    MAXX HD all the way. The phone is much quicker and is more efficient on battery power. The display is much better as well. It is a more future proof option and will be a better choice overall. 100 dollars over 2 years of owning the phone is very little per month. It is completely worth it. Get the HD.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast