Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #126  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Default Re: How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs

if done properly by following the instructions then yes

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
    Just some hobo with a phone
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm seriously very sorry if I've missed something, but I've been staring at my RAZR / PC for hours and my eyes are so heavy, lol

I've got a ROM running for me on Alltel, everything works, but I want to restore my backup that I made before I flashed my custom ROM. In your second post, you detail making a backup (as well as in the first post) but not the process for restoring a backup that was made in Safestrap on my external SD card. I'm still sort of confused on this whole "safe system on / off" thing, from what I've read, turning Safe system off will just throw me back into stock? Or, I turn it off and restore my backup? Hard to find a clear answer on this. I'd really appreciate any help you could give.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #128  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Turning safe OFF will revert you back to your stock rom. you only retore when you have safe turned ON, as this means you are not working with your stock rom when the system is ON i dont know if everything works on Alltel like it does for Verizon as this stuff was made for Verizon. if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Will it return me to a "factory reset" of my stock ROM or will it be right as I left it with my apps, data, etc...?

Things seem to be the same. I imagine if partition sizes were different, etc...it would have broke by now, lol.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #130  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    Will it return me to a "factory reset" of my stock ROM or will it be right as I left it with my apps, data, etc...?

Things seem to be the same. I imagine if partition sizes were different, etc...it would have broke by now, lol.
    It will go just back to the same way it was when you switched over to the other 1

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

*sigh of relief* Worked like a charm. Hate playing the guinea pig, lol. Thanks for all the help.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine likes this.

Not quite sure what I did, but it worked

Also some things have been updated, the RZR utility now includes the latest safestrap so need to download that. bootstrap is no longer an option so no need to worry about that. and options 6 and 7 are no longer available..

I had a Razr M for a few weeks but couldn't stand the battery life and the fact that its not replace able, I didn't like the UI at first but going to the Maxx I realized it was better. The clock and weather app on the Razr M is gorgeous and now with Arctic HD I have the best of both worlds! Thanks for the awesome work!
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #133  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

I will update the OP when i get out of the dentist office

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Haha, ouch. .. i get that look too. Now all i need to do is find a good Wi-Fi teather app for Arctic HD

Used FoxFi last night with no issues and I'm running Arctic HD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #136  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by RLucky82 View Post

Also some things have been updated, the RZR utility now includes the latest safestrap so need to download that. bootstrap is no longer an option so no need to worry about that. and options 6 and 7 are no longer available..

Thanks for the awesome work!
    OP updated, thanks for the heads up
    Thanked by:

Hi guys! I'm a bit new to the scene and I just have a few questions. I just rooted my phone and was wondering how do I uninstall bloatware and is it possible to upgrade my phone to 4.1 or 4.2?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #138  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by Ih3artAndroid View Post
    Hi guys! I'm a bit new to the scene and I just have a few questions. I just rooted my phone and was wondering how do I uninstall bloatware and is it possible to upgrade my phone to 4.1 or 4.2?
    install safestrap via the utility. download a stock rom from the link, im on THIS. reboot and turn on safe system in safestrap. install the rom you downloaded from the link and it will look just like your stock system. then you will have free roam to do whatever you want without fear of messing up your stock system. once that is done, you can use titanium backup pro to "freeze" apps. OR, you can download any custom rom from the OP and most have zero bloatware. just read read read!

ROM
    Arctic HD

Man. Been so busy I've hardly been able to get on the forums. Work is killing me. How's everyone?

Any problems, or requests?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

Now that I have been rooted for a few days now and running arctic HD I noticed that you can't disable all or certain apps even though on the razrm it was possible and it was not rooted (an unexpected and welcome surprise) I would figure that Arctic would be the same but that's not the case.?

I liked the features of barnicle wifi but it doesn't work on the Maxx, I did not like foxfi at all ,and have been using WiFi Teather with great results

ROM
    Arctic HD

Being rooted, you can disable ANYTHING you want with titanium by freezing it. But be careful you can REALLY screw stuff up if you aren't careful.

Also, try force stopping or uninstalling updates for the apps you want to disable

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Thanked by:

Hi Braden - Just wanted to say thanks for your post on "How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs"!!! I've been hesitant to try any of this for some reason - I used to do it all the time when I was (had) a Blackberry! I read your post over a couple of times and read the links too. I used Safestrap 3.05 and created 2 slots on Saturday, then loaded Black Widow and JellyCore. I'm having fun playing with them - anyway, thanks again for your hard work!!!

Jim D
    Regards,

Jim D.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #143  
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

That really makes me happy to hear you say that hope everything works out well for you and remember to always make a backup in case things go wrong anytime you're tweaking electronics things will go wrong. Feel free to contact me at anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Hello, I'm new to this. I just rooted my droid razr and I'm trying to install a custo ROM. I have been following the directions, but when I reboot, Safestrap is disabled, and the picture on the instructions says Enable. How can I enable safestrap?? Thanks.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by pp8686 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this. I just rooted my droid razr and I'm trying to install a custo ROM. I have been following the directions, but when I reboot, Safestrap is disabled, and the picture on the instructions says Enable. How can I enable safestrap?? Thanks.
    Just keep following the tutorial. Safestrap should still be disabled at the step you're at. You'll make a backup, and then enable Safestrap to install your custom ROM.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by 2:

Flawless Root and flash (first time) using this thread! I used Safestrap v3 because of the obvious convenience factor and had no problems. Thanks again!

Stay Classy

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    Turning safe OFF will revert you back to your stock rom. you only retore when you have safe turned ON, as this means you are not working with your stock rom when the system is ON i dont know if everything works on Alltel like it does for Verizon as this stuff was made for Verizon. if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.
    so Im in the same boat.... I backed up my device as instructed, now I need to go back So that I can save my contacts in google or on my sd card. Then go back to Artic HD. Is this possible?

sorry about the repeat question. I see this has already been answered. Root is complete contacts are saved. Thanks for this post. You guys did a great job with this.
    Thanked by:

Hi folks.

Got my Razr Maxx before Christmas and have been on a couple of forums trying to learn the ins and outs of rooting it. I'm taking the warnings of "You brick, your fault" seriously, so I'm educating myself before I root.

I've been in touch with Chris (cole2kb) and Matt L Groff and a few others. My phone is on Ntelos (not verizon). Don't mean to post in the wrong place, but there aren't any Ntelos threads that I'm aware of, and you guys are the only ones around who have the expertise!

So, here are the facts as I understand them:

- My phone is currently unrooted (duh).
    - With my system version being on 6.16.300, option 1 on Matt's utility won't work for me because it is made for .211 (or other configurations), and my phone is on 6.16.300.XT908. Which means, I think,

- If I root under current conditions, it's a one-way ride with no way back to stock (6.16.300 XT908).

- I understand the qe 0/0 thing.

- There are few if any custom ROMS out there for Ntelos, but Chris has offered to make a patch for me/us if I will get off my ****, root, and sent him a backup of a file. This will (I think) allow me to benefit from all of his hard work in patching Alltel phones over to Verizon ROMS. He is willing do a patch to make an Ntelos phone work with a Verizon ROM (again, I think!) ?????

So... questions at this point:

- How hard is it to get a file made for Option #1 of Matt's Utility 1.82 that will be able to get me back to 6.16.300.XT908 if needed? (probably not gonna happen, right?)

- If I can't get the 6.16.300 file, and I root, will my system still work on Ntelos, or will it thinks it's on Verizon as a result of using Matt's utility?

- Will my original Ntelos settings still be in there as one of the 4 saved ROMs that I will be able to have from installing SafeStrap?

- What else are you guys seeing that I am obviously clueless about but really need to know?

Chris has been patiently waiting for me to root and has been consistently offering to help (thanks, Chris). But being one of the lonely few Ntelos users on Razr Maxx, I have to make sure I don't fall into the "u-brick-u-lose" club. Sorry if I'm trying anyone's patience. Just trying to read the fine print and get it right before I hit "2" and enter on Matt's utility!!

If I've got any of this wrong, please explain so I can understand.

Thanks for the help and patience folks!

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs-screenshot_2013-01-24-10-09-23.png   How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs-screenshot_2013-01-24-10-09-30.png  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You should be able to root using Matt's utility just fine.

The closest thing you'll have to going back to stock is going back to rooted stock. You can't use Matt's utility option 1 for this but you should be able to return to stock by un installing Safestrap and unrooting.

The rom slots don't touch your stock system so you don't really have to worry about bricking or losing your stock system and settings. Just make sure to ask questions if you get stuck.

Sent from my dirty rainbow unicorn Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD (HorriblyDeveloped)
    --Chris [cole2kb]
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast