How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't say it doesn't work... Then again it doesn't say it does... Guess we know now that it does not work. Each rom has its own quirks. Sorry :-(

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't say it doesn't work... Then again it doesn't say it does... Guess we know now that it does not work. Each rom has its own quirks. Sorry :-(

Ah man!! :( well at least i can go back to stock and re root when it's been tweaked a bit if I choose to do so.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Restored from backup. Rebooted but safestrap is enabled. So it just continues to go from the M dual core back to safe strap enabled. I hope I haven't f'd this up.. I went into the boot menu and disabled it. Did I go about this correctly?

---------- Post Merged at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Booting up normally! Whew! Talk about scared.. And I like how I've just been posting to myself ha ha. But I'm good to go!

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I've been exhausted lately. If it is urgent send me a PM, it always alerts me . Also if safestrap is enabled you need to have a ROM installed. If you want to go back to your stock system just toggle safe system ;)

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I want to root, and try a new rom, and I'd just like some more information. I've had several Android phones, but have never rooted any of them.

So far, following this guide, I have:
1. downloaded the moto drivers, and installed them on my pc
2. downloaded the Arctic HD rom onto my sd card
3. downloaded the safestrap-ics.211 apk from the link in the OP.
4. downloaded the droid razr utility, and unzipped it on my pc

Here is where I am now:
5. for the next step, root, I assume that I just turn on usb debugging, connect the phone to the pc, and run
option #2 from the droid razr utility?
6. install the rootkeeper app now?
7. install safestrap from the sd card next, and run the app?

This is where I get confused.
Now I'm rooted. Since I want to install the Arctic HD rom, I see that there are directions for doing so. What preparations do I need to make
before installing the rom? It appears that I need to wipe the phone during the flashing process. What about all my apps, settings, etc? Do I just need to
download Titanium Backup, back everything up, copy the backup to the pc, and make sure it is on the sd card, then after flashing, install TB again,
and restore?

What does this option from the directions do, it sounds like it is formatting the sd card: 4) Mounts and storage -> Format /system ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm treading carefully so as not to mess up my phone completely.

-Artie

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I want to root, and try a new rom, and I'd just like some more information. I've had several Android phones, but have never rooted any of them.

So far, following this guide, I have:
1. downloaded the moto drivers, and installed them on my pc
2. downloaded the Arctic HD rom onto my sd card
3. downloaded the safestrap-ics.211 apk from the link in the OP.
4. downloaded the droid razr utility, and unzipped it on my pc

Here is where I am now:
5. for the next step, root, I assume that I just turn on usb debugging, connect the phone to the pc, and run
option #2 from the droid razr utility?
6. install the rootkeeper app now?
7. install safestrap from the sd card next, and run the app?

This is where I get confused.
Now I'm rooted. Since I want to install the Arctic HD rom, I see that there are directions for doing so. What preparations do I need to make
before installing the rom? It appears that I need to wipe the phone during the flashing process. What about all my apps, settings, etc? Do I just need to
download Titanium Backup, back everything up, copy the backup to the pc, and make sure it is on the sd card, then after flashing, install TB again,
and restore?

What does this option from the directions do, it sounds like it is formatting the sd card: 4) Mounts and storage -> Format /system ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm treading carefully so as not to mess up my phone completely.

-Artie

Go ahead and download titanium backup and backup all of your apps. After that make sure that safe strap 2.11 is installed. There should be a nap in your apt drawer called safe strap open it up and install recovery. Once you've done that safe strap 2.11 is installed. Reboot your phone. That is where the safe strap menu will pop up and you press the Menu key. Toggle the safe system and it will make a backup of your current safe stock system. Once the safe system is toggled you can then wipe everything like the directions say and install arctic hd. If you follow the directions it will not harm your SD card.

Sent from my Black Widow

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm up and running on Arctic HD. Now the questions really start! I installed Titanium Backup Pro prior to starting this, and did a backup of Apps + System. Can I just download it again, and restore my backup to get all my apps back, or do I have to do something special now that I'm running a different ROM ?

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
sorry if I'm asking too much, but which restore option do I use? I've never used TB before (obviously).

1. restore missing apps with data 51
2. restore all system data 162
3. restore missing apps + all system data 213
4. restore all apps with data 217

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I usually just do restore missing apps with data. Don't do anything that involves system apps or system data. That's why I don't do the last option, restore all apps and data, as that usually includes system apps. Things can get funky when you try to copy over data from one system to another

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
so i started the restore of just missing apps + data, and it was moving along. I got a message that google play had stopped working, so I clicked ok, and the restore continued. it is now stuck on google play services, 45% progress for 15 minutes. what now?

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
you can go through and pick to only backup the wifi passwords, and only restore wifi passwords. same with sms and mms. it is a bit of trial and error my friend.

---------- Post Merged at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:42 AM ----------

so i started the restore of just missing apps + data, and it was moving along. I got a message that google play had stopped working, so I clicked ok, and the restore continued. it is now stuck on google play services, 45% progress for 15 minutes. what now?

google play is considered a system app. if it is made by google or has google in the name i wouldnt restore it.

go back and wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache and dalvik.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Now I've gone and done it. My calendar is not working (it was working). I chose "restore all system data", deselected everything, then selectively chose things like wifi hotspots, calendar storage, etc. when I rebooted, it says "unfortunately, calendar has stopped". then it comes up and says "unfortunately calendar storage has stopped".

What can I do to get my calendars back? I live off of my calendars!!!

---------- Post Merged at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:26 AM ----------

google play is considered a system app. if it is made by google or has google in the name i wouldnt restore it.
go back and wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache and dalvik.

I missed this part of your post. I stopped the restore, powered off/on, restarted the restore, but unselected google play, and the restore finished. If I do this now, will it fix my calendar problem?

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I think I'm back. I wiped data, cache, and dalvik, and for grins I just continued the steps and re-installed the zip file.

One new thing, and I think this is an ICS issue. I like to sync my work calendar (not email). I had it set up previous to ICS, so it just migrated along. Now when I try to set it up again, I get all these security warnings that basically say that my IT guy can wipe my phone, disable my camera, etc, without my knowledge. Is there a way I can get my corporate sync calendar without giving up all this control?

Also, when it comes to restoring info from TB, can I restore my "accounts"? so far, i've added google and facebook manually, but I'm wondering if I restore the accounts using TB that maybe my calendar problem won't be an issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon