How to clear your Cache (stock)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes. If changing roms you can't restore system data cause it will screw something up, but if you are just factory reset and staying on the same rom then I think restoring system data will actually be okay.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
gusyzuja.jpg

Don't ever use these ones and you'll be fine

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

mekano

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not rooted. So I'm just gonna back up contacts and re dl'd all apps after the wipe. Apps I have paid for like swift key and juice Defender will I be able to re download for free?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR!

mekano

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow just did it! Cant believe how fast my phone is now. Should have done this right after the ics update

Sent from my XT910 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey bradenfontaine--you may want to modify your instructions. When I get to the Android System Recovery menu, I find that the Vol Up and Vol Down buttons will move up and down on the menu, and the Power button makes the selection (as opposed to the first menu, where Vol Up makes the selection).

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It clears various browsing data, such as stored pictures, movies etc. It also clears cached app data that is stored in /cache. It doesn't clear /dalvik-cache.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

pel1kan

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
It clears various browsing data, such as stored pictures, movies etc. It also clears cached app data that is stored in /cache. It doesn't clear /dalvik-cache.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

What's dalvik cache, how is that different from just plain old cache. And... if not switching ROM's is there a good reason to periodically clear your cache? Does it improve performance?

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
What's dalvik cache, how is that different from just plain old cache. And... if not switching ROM's is there a good reason to periodically clear your cache? Does it improve performance?

dalvik cache is a program cache area for the program dalvik. Dalvik is a java based virtual machine that is the bases for running your programs (the ones that have the .apk extension). In order to make access times faster (because there's not JIT (just in time) compiler installed by default), the dalvik-cache is the result of dalvik doing a optimization of the running program. Sounds confusing. It's similar to the prefetch files in Windows.

clearing your cache has been reported to improve stability and performance.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
THANKS!
Hoping this will improve battery life after JB update!
It sure did on my Droid X after GB!

ETA: This is for my current Razr M.
The wipe is completed. Going to fully drain battery and re-charge to comple the task (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12