Razr Maxx won't work with Atrix lapdock

richard@framingham

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Not a comment about battery life, but about using the Razr Maxx with the Atrix lapdock. I use two cables, HDMI and micro-USB, and can see a webtop screen on the lapdock, but I cannot see a cursor, even with a mouse plugged into the lapdock's USB port. Is there some secret to getting the lapdock to fully recognize and communicate with the Maxx?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. Your micro usb cable is most likely bad. I replaced my micro usb cable and it worked fine with the new cable. Alternatively, you can do a mod to get the atrix lapdock to work directly with the Razr maxx without adapter cable, lmk if it is something you are interested and i can find the thread or a Google search can find it too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. Your micro usb cable is most likely bad. I replaced my micro usb cable and it worked fine with the new cable. Alternatively, you can do a mod to get the atrix lapdock to work directly with the Razr maxx without adapter cable, lmk if it is something you are interested and i can find the thread or a Google search can find it too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

I did this, took about 20 minutes. Besides switching the cable connections one also needs to grind down the dock where the phone will sit to get reliable connection. Best to do this as you pull the connectors our to change their direction since you'll have a better surface area to work a with.

If OP isn't getting mouse to show with connecting cables to the lapdock (instead of making the mod to the dock) the micro usb may not be good enough. I found this problem when my phone didn't sit tight to the dock, the reason for grinding down the plastic to give better seat for the phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If it still isn't working, the op might be able to find a lapdock 100 which are $50 at Verizon corporate store. Of course, it is clearance so ymmv. The atrix lapdock is nicer, but the 100 works well and without any mod.

richard@framingham

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for help and ideas. I tried a second USB cable with no better results. Both were cheap cables, so I will try a more expensive and maybe better connector.

In the meantime I did snag the lapdock 100 for $50 at a Verizon store. It works very nicely. If the third USB cable fixes the Atrix dock I will keep both.

I'll post the results with the third USB cable by this weekend when it's supposed to arrive.

Richard

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for help and ideas. I tried a second USB cable with no better results. Both were cheap cables, so I will try a more expensive and maybe better connector.

In the meantime I did snag the lapdock 100 for $50 at a Verizon store. It works very nicely. If the third USB cable fixes the Atrix dock I will keep both.

I'll post the results with the third USB cable by this weekend when it's supposed to arrive.

Richard

So at least you know it's not a phone problem. it could be either the cable or a problem with the lapdock itself. you could take the connector apart and see if it would run straight from the lapdock connector. this does not require any modification, just to test it to confirm that the lapdock itself is working.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

atam168

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I new to this forum. My question is "Can Razr Maxx fit in the atrix dock (after modification) with the OTTERBOX DEFENDER CASE? or does the case have to be removed (this is a b_tch)? Thank you All

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I new to this forum. My question is "Can Razr Maxx fit in the atrix dock (after modification) with the OTTERBOX DEFENDER CASE? or does the case have to be removed (this is a b_tch)? Thank you All

Probably not. I tried to trim the atrix lapdock to work with the verizon case with kickstand (the one that also had a holster) but could not get it to dock with case. Works without case.

The lapdock 100 fit with my case.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user