Certified Like New my rear...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You should just activate the old phone until you get your replacement and tell them you got rid of it, and then as soon as you get it switch back to the hd then sell the like new maxx on ebay.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Heck no! I can win this either way but I'm not switching from my HD to the normal Maxx for any period of time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Heck no! I can win this either way but I'm not switching from my HD to the normal Maxx for any period of time.

Verizon requires that the phone be active to send you a replacement. You simply just activate it and call in immediately, I have done so in the past.

Just keep in mind that Verizon is not legally required to provide warranty, only the manufacturer, in this case motorola, is legally required to provide warranty during the warranty period. So if you don't want to activate the droid razr maxx at all, call motorola, they are legally required to replace it under warranty regardless of whether it is on an active line or not. Be advised that typically manufacturers require you to send it in first, then they would fix it and send it back, going through Verizon would most likely be quicker. The only reason why I mentioned it is because you don't want to activate the old phone at all.

As a side note, even though Verizon is not legally required to replace your phone, if you complain enough, they would probably acquiesce. Not sure if it would be worth your trouble, but you could try.

If calling does work, go to the store during a crowded time and create a ruckus. Usually the store would acquiesce just so that they don't lose customers over you. If it doesn't work the first time, try over and over and at multiple stores. As a last option, make a sign and picket in front of a verizon store. I am pretty sure that this would work if activating the old phone is something that you absolutely cannot do.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought the RAZR HD Maxx just to get away from these replacements but noe Verizon who delayed my Maxx replacement is giving me trouble because my warranty is invalid since I got a new phone. I'll get a replacement but not without a fight...

The warranty on your phone is through Motorola. It is discussed in the warranty brochure which came with the phone. Verizon provides replacement phones as a courtesy, and are not legally required to do so, hence they can make up whatever rules they wish. Don't activate phone, send it to the manufacturer, they won't require it to be activated , problem solved.

Also, verizon cannot invalidate your warranty, only the manufacturer can do so. Verizon can refuse to provide warranty service of course. Similar to Acura. You buy a car, the warranty is with Acura, not the dealership which you bought it from. The dealership cannot void the warranty, only Acura can. But the dealership can refuse to provide warranty service on your car. You could of course just take it to another dealership.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My personal take is, don't fight Verizon on whether or not the phone has to be on an active line, just swap sims, very quick process. If I were you, what I would try to do is to push them to reset your upgrade date, arguing that you have received 8 clnr, all with problems. Then just keep explaining problem after problem with each phone and saying that the refurb process on verizon needs work, blah blah blah. I can almost guarantee you that at first, they will say no, but keep at it. repeating the same stuff over and over. After an hour or two, they may agree. or they may not, in which case hang up and try again. imo, i think that this would be a much more beneficial effort as you actually get something. you can also try to get them to send you a clnr hd maxx, which at this point, would be new. most likely, neither option would be easy to get verizon to do, but i think that it would be possible.

one other thing, if you decide to buy new and you want to get new replacements for as long as possible, buy from Costco wireless. they offer a 90 day return/exchange policy and during that time, you will get new devices. after the 90 days is up though, you are stuck on Verizon's clnr, but still beats verizon and other 3rd party which is typically 30 days or less. and the new replacement is a full retail box new replacement with all accessories.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My personal take is, don't fight Verizon on whether or not the phone has to be on an active line, just swap sims, very quick process. If I were you, what I would try to do is to push them to reset your upgrade date, arguing that you have received 8 clnr, all with problems. Then just keep explaining problem after problem with each phone and saying that the refurb process on verizon needs work, blah blah blah. I can almost guarantee you that at first, they will say no, but keep at it. repeating the same stuff over and over. After an hour or two, they may agree. or they may not, in which case hang up and try again. imo, i think that this would be a much more beneficial effort as you actually get something. you can also try to get them to send you a clnr hd maxx, which at this point, would be new. most likely, neither option would be easy to get verizon to do, but i think that it would be possible.

one other thing, if you decide to buy new and you want to get new replacements for as long as possible, buy from Costco wireless. they offer a 90 day return/exchange policy and during that time, you will get new devices. after the 90 days is up though, you are stuck on Verizon's clnr, but still beats verizon and other 3rd party which is typically 30 days or less. and the new replacement is a full retail box new replacement with all accessories.

Thank you, but the supervisor did approve me so its going out tomorrow I believe. I'm not sure they would push an upgrade up but even if they did it would not matter as I'm not losing my unlimited data package. As for replacing with an HD Maxx, it would not happen. To Verizon, this isn't comparable and its too new. The only comparable device was a Nexus which I immediately said no to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, but the supervisor did approve me so its going out tomorrow I believe. I'm not sure they would push an upgrade up but even if they did it would not matter as I'm not losing my unlimited data package. As for replacing with an HD Maxx, it would not happen. To Verizon, this isn't comparable and its too new. The only comparable device was a Nexus which I immediately said no to.

Glad you got it sorted out. If you have a family plan with one of your other lines not having unlimited data, then you might be able to switch the upgrade to that line, if they did approve the upgrade. Before you could, not sure if they changed the rule since unlimited data upgrades were canned.

What Verizon considers comparable will vary greatly. Verizon gave me a Rezound as a warranty replacement for my Thunderbolt as it was comparable. Yet somehow, the gnex and razr weren't considered comparable, and this was towards the beginning of the year so the Rezound was fairly new, although Verizon never showed it any love. Go figure. I know some people were able to get the dinc 4G as a replacement to older phones, and the dinc 4G uses the similar CPU as the Razr HD Maxx, just at a slightly slower clock.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is pathetic how they treat customers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Verizon doesn't have the best CS. But also, based on my experience, they are far from the worst. I find that they are pretty decent so long as you are firm and patient. Usually, I find that they want to get you off the phone quickly and say no, whatever you want can't be done. Don't hang up, keep explaining your situation, and I have as of yet never had a situation where Verizon did not resolve to my satisfaction. Most of these converstations where there are non-standard issues usually take over an hour to resolve for me.

They let me move from a Tbolt to a Rezound to a Razr Maxx all without me paying a dime. When I have any issues that are their fault, and ask for compensation, they will usually give it to me. Although their refurb phones a lot of times suck, they provide free shipping and free return shipping. Usually after the first time, they provide free overnight shipping. I have dealt with other companies that ask you to mail in your defective item on your dime, not to mention that you are out of that item until they send it back.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Just got my replacement. It feels so solid. No creaks or anything. Haven't powered up yet but so far it is nice. It feels Iike a brand new phone. It has the plastic with a white sticker on the back I can't remember if my other replacements had that I know when I bought it new it did

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got my replacement. It feels so solid. No creaks or anything. Haven't powered up yet but so far it is nice. It feels Iike a brand new phone. It has the plastic with a white sticker on the back I can't remember if my other replacements had that I know when I bought it new it did

Let's hope mine is the same but I guess it doesn't matter. I missed the delivery today because Verizon never told me it shipped. I was told it was approved Sunday night and it was actually approved and shipped on Friday.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Let me know if it comes with the sticker on the back like the new phones do. This thing is solid man, no problems what so ever :thumbup:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if it comes with the sticker on the back like the new phones do. This thing is solid man, no problems what so ever :thumbup:

Will do, I wonder if I drained Verizon out of replacements. ;)

But white sticker as in the little box sticker that sits on the bigger film? All my replacements have had this.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Prior to getting a Maxx I had a Nexus that I was having to replace almost as often as you've had to replace your Maxx. I am on my 3rd Maxx and when I received it there was still a memory card in it, so after I set it all up I went into the gallery and there were a lot of "home" movies and pics of the adult nature on the card. I was furious, so I called VZW and complained to the right people and ended up getting 3 free months service.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Prior to getting a Maxx I had a Nexus that I was having to replace almost as often as you've had to replace your Maxx. I am on my 3rd Maxx and when I received it there was still a memory card in it, so after I set it all up I went into the gallery and there were a lot of "home" movies and pics of the adult nature on the card. I was furious, so I called VZW and complained to the right people and ended up getting 3 free months service.

Adult content and free service? Hm... lol

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Verizon doesn't have the best CS. But also, based on my experience, they are far from the worst. I find that they are pretty decent so long as you are firm and patient. Usually, I find that they want to get you off the phone quickly and say no, whatever you want can't be done. Don't hang up, keep explaining your situation, and I have as of yet never had a situation where Verizon did not resolve to my satisfaction. Most of these converstations where there are non-standard issues usually take over an hour to resolve for me.

They let me move from a Tbolt to a Rezound to a Razr Maxx all without me paying a dime. When I have any issues that are their fault, and ask for compensation, they will usually give it to me. Although their refurb phones a lot of times suck, they provide free shipping and free return shipping. Usually after the first time, they provide free overnight shipping. I have dealt with other companies that ask you to mail in your defective item on your dime, not to mention that you are out of that item until they send it back.

I think you make some good points. I have also noticed that sometimes, the quality of service depends on if you are talking to one of the VZW reps, or if it is one of the contract companies that they use to handle overflow.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, did you watch all of the adult nature movies?

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
getting refurbs via insurance w/deductible. I've gone a different route - buying used off of craigs list. This turns out to be about the same cost as the deductible (after a bit of haggling). I meet the seller at a VZN store, check it out to be sure it works, have VZN determine it's not stolen and then pay the guy. Never had bad luck but you may have to spend some time watching craigs list.

Last edited:

darkw1sh

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just went through insurance for my razr maxx... The phone i received is a joke. I lost my old phone in vegas and i thought well i will call insurance and get this issue fixed. They sent me a device... I cannot call this a phone. This device when powered on starts to trip out and do the following constantly pushing menu, back, power, volume up and down, and all you see is the screen flickering until the phone freezes. Okay, weird.... but me paying 8$ a month for a service that cannot send me a proper working phone, then promise to send me a brand new one and have it here ASAP and when you check the shipping information they do not send it until after the new year, and the order was placed 3 days before. I have not had a phone working properly for a week and a half. only reason i have it is so i can send it back, alos makes a decent paperweight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney