How to install wallpaper?

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
OK, this is probably my dumb question for the day. How do I copy a specific wallpaper from my computer onto my RAZR MAXX and have it show up when I go to my wallpaper on my phone? I thought there was a wallpaper folder somewhere. I just can't seem to find it on my phone. What am I missing/overlooking?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Simple. Put said picture from your computer onto your phone via hooking it up via USB cable and dragging the picture into the DCIM folder (main picture folder.) Once that's on there, unplug USB, go into your gallery, find the picture, click the settings button, select "Set picture as", then crop, click save. Hope this helps. This is all in a nut shell so if you need anything to be made more clear, let me know.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
DCIM folder on your SD card is ONE option... the other is to create a Wallpaper folder on your SD card and place all your wallpapers in that folder (as described above... same process, but different folders)... works exactly the same. You don't have to put your wallpaper images in the DCIM folder. Additionally, you can have multiple sub folders under your Wallpaper folder to organize your wallpapers, but the app for setting your wallpaper's does not see those folders, just sees all the images on your SD card, no matter what folder name you give it.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Instead of plugging into a computer, I use box.net or dropbox.. upload through a PC, and then download through the phone.. I hate cables. I'm sure there's also some good wifi/bluetooth file transfer utils out there.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Deviant art .com has awesome wallpapers. I just save the ones I like and email them to my Maxx. No USB plugin required, but I normally use my iPad.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure they could also just use MotoCast to move them from a folder on your PC/Laptop to your device, but your PC must be up and running.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
DCIM folder on your SD card is ONE option... the other is to create a Wallpaper folder on your SD card and place all your wallpapers in that folder (as described above... same process, but different folders)... works exactly the same. You don't have to put your wallpaper images in the DCIM folder. Additionally, you can have multiple sub folders under your Wallpaper folder to organize your wallpapers, but the app for setting your wallpaper's does not see those folders, just sees all the images on your SD card, no matter what folder name you give it.

This is what I did originally. Like you said... While it got the wallpapers to my phone, I could not actually set one as a wallpaper. Is the only way to get one of them set as a wallpaper to copy it to the DCIM file?

I thought my old Bionic (with Gingerbread instead of ICS) had a file named wallpaper that DID allow you to copy additional files into it and set one as a wallpaper. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the help!

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
This is what I did originally. Like you said... While it got the wallpapers to my phone, I could not actually set one as a wallpaper. Is the only way to get one of them set as a wallpaper to copy it to the DCIM file?

No... like I said earlier you can create a Wallpaper folder your SD card. You can create that folder at the top most part of the folder structure (known as the Root)... you don't have to put that under the DCIM folder. Then just long press the screen and select the Wallpaper option... this will display all images you can set as wallpaper, which will include those DCIM folder, but it will scan your entire SD card for images... BE SURE TO UNPLUG YOUR DEVICE from your PC before doing this, otherwise your device can not see your SD card.

I thought my old Bionic (with Gingerbread instead of ICS) had a file named wallpaper that DID allow you to copy additional files into it and set one as a wallpaper. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the help!

I never had a Bionic, but did have the Thunderbolt prior to this... it did not create a wallpaper folder, but I manually created one just like I did on this device.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
No... like I said earlier you can create a Wallpaper folder your SD card. You can create that folder at the top most part of the folder structure (known as the Root)... you don't have to put that under the DCIM folder. Then just long press the screen and select the Wallpaper option... this will display all images you can set as wallpaper, which will include those DCIM folder, but it will scan your entire SD card for images... BE SURE TO UNPLUG YOUR DEVICE from your PC before doing this, otherwise your device can not see your SD card.

I never had a Bionic, but did have the Thunderbolt prior to this... it did not create a wallpaper folder, but I manually created one just like I did on this device.

Thanks fatboy97! It appears you are correct. I can store and view the wallpaers on my sd card then copy the one I want to use into the DCIM folder where the photos are stored. Then I can use "My Gallery" to set it as the wallpaper. I thought I remembered it being different and easier on my old Bionic.

I appreciate everyone's help!

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry fatboy97, got moving too fast. If I want to "create that folder at the top most part of the folder structure (known as the Root)", how do I do this?

App k

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You have to download the wallpapers on the PC.
Then you can transfer it to your mobile by using datacables, card readers.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry fatboy97, got moving too fast. If I want to "create that folder at the top most part of the folder structure (known as the Root)", how do I do this?

You can do this a couple different ways... the easiest is to just connect your device with a USB cable, open Windows Explorer, find your SD card as a Mass Storage device on your PC, right click the main drive and choose New > Folder. If you want to create it a folder from your device, open the "My Files" app, click on SD card > Menu > New Folder > type in the name of the folder > click OK.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
You can do this a couple different ways... the easiest is to just connect your device with a USB cable, open Windows Explorer, find your SD card as a Mass Storage device on your PC, right click the main drive and choose New > Folder. If you want to create it a folder from your device, open the "My Files" app, click on SD card > Menu > New Folder > type in the name of the folder > click OK.

Hi Fatboy,

I did all of this. I still can't long click the image and set it as a wallpaper. It has to be uner the DCIM folder for this to happen.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

CORRECTION - Sorry Fatboy, You ARE correct. The part I wasn't getting was you can do it through "My Gallery". Go to My Gallery>My Library>drop down menu at the top left corner and selet "Folders">then click the appropriate folder. From here you can select the wallpaper you want, long click it and set it as a wallpaper! This answers ALL of my questions. I knew there was something simple I was missing. Thanks for the help.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer