Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By carracerz14
  • 2 Post By bradenfontaine
  • 1 Post By bradenfontaine
  • 3 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Anyone here come from the Galaxy Nexus?

I was hoping for the Nexus4 but its not coming to Verizon so I'm considering the Maxx HD for its long battery life since more and more phones seem to be coming out with a non-removable battery. And also since it has a GSM antenna.

So if you've come from a Nexus, how do you like this one compared to it? I'll have to go down an OS since I have my Nexus rooted with JB and there don't seem to be any options for rooting this one yet.

Default Re: Anyone here come from the Galaxy Nexus?

Don't have a Nexus, but I'm sure the huge improvement in battery life on the Maxx is a clear winner. I love having to go 24+ hours without charging it. As far as rooting, it is possible to root the Razr Maxx.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Oops, meant to post this in the RAZR MAXX HD forum. Sorry. I'll try it over there too.

IMO its a mistake to compare a carrier phone to a nexus on a strictly hardware basis. Hardware is typically not the reason people choose the nexus phones. Nexus is for freedom from the carrier. Typically its not the top dog in hardware for very long.

ROM
    Arctic HD

I had a nexus, worst phone I ever owned and got it replaced for a maxx and it was the best decision I ever made, so I, sure the HD will be just as awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I came from a Nexus and there really is no comparison. The battery life alone puts the MAXX well above the Nexus!

Quote Originally Posted by wasnt_me331 View Post
    I came from a Nexus and there really is no comparison. The battery life alone puts the MAXX well above the Nexus!
    Until you need to change batteries.

ROM
    Arctic HD

What do you need to change batteries for? It out lasts both of your batteries

B. Diddy and revtech like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    What do you need to change batteries for? It out lasts both of your batteries

I'll take the smaller removables any day. Especially if it lives long enough that it needs to be replaced.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,252 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Theoretically this phones battery will live twice as long as a standard phones battery, in lifespan of the cells, and in days usage. Battery lifespan is determined by charge cycles. And if you have to charge half as often, the it should last twice as long before being past its useful lifespan... which is 2 to 4 years... and I've never used a phone for 4 years...
    Just some hobo with a phone
    Thanked by:
    tcmeiss and B. Diddy like this.

I really don't think the life of the batteries are that predictable. I think its more like YMMV. That said the life of the phone before it becomes obsolete probably doesn't avg more than 2 yrs so the battery will likely remain fairly strong given the current shortened life cycles of the devices.

But good luck if you're on a business trip and realize that for some reason the outlet in the hotel room had an issue or you had one too many and forgot to plug it in. There is no reaching into the brief case for that emergency charged battery. You are just plain screwed.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,252 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by ncguy View Post
    I really don't think the life of the batteries are that predictable.

Read up buddy

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    Just some hobo with a phone
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    My experience "buddy" with lithium batteries, lipo and lithium ion, comes from years of using them in rc model airplanes. The actual use case rarely matched the test reports and I stand by YMMV. Like I've said from my first post on this topic this is probably moot if you cycle your phone at least every 2 years. Nough said. Feel free to comment but personally I'm done with the back and forth.

I would think that Li battery use in RC model airplanes is fundamentally different than that in phones. Phones are always on, even when they're asleep (unless you actually power down when you're not using it, which no one does), while RC airplanes are on only intermittently. So the battery usage in phones is much more predictable than that for the planes. I'm not an electrical or chemical engineer, so this is only speculation on my part. If you have actual data showing that Li battery life is unpredictable in phone usage, I'd be interested in seeing it.

One of your earlier posts implied that things were all fine for a phone with a nonremovable battery (like the Maxx) until the battery dies. But the point that bradenfontaine was making is that since the Maxx's total battery life should last at least 2-3 times as long as most other standard batteries, the risk of the battery completely dying in the Maxx's useful lifetime is extremely low, especially, as you point out, if you cycle phones every 2 years or so.

For those of us who are trying to hold on to our unlimited data plans (for however long VZW will keep that going, anyway), we also have to think twice before pulling the trigger every 2 years to get a new phone. It's a lot more expensive now to get the latest and greatest phone, since we'd have to pay full price for the phone in order to keep the unlimited data.