Should I get the Maxx on Black Friday?

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I see Best Buy will have the Maxx for FREE on Black Friday. I am going to switch from Sprint to Vzw that weekend. I was going to go for the Razr M as it fit the budget and size/specs were just right. Should I go for the older Maxx at all? Having the 16GB + 16GB is a bonus along with the battery. I will be JB 4.1 will be the last update for sure with maybe hope for 4.2. Razr M is getting JB 4.1 now and will get 1-2 more updates most likely.

What do you think?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping someone would offer it free on Black Friday! Thanks for the heads up =)
I'm sure the razr maxx hd is better in some ways, but for this price its hard to beat.

Edit: Actually just read the circular; as usual for BF, limited supply, opens at midnight, need a ticket, etc. I think I'll just pay the $69.99 at wirefly or amazon wireless and save the hassle; I'm still hoping they will drop their prices too, with the hd series and the dna out now this phone should soon be a give-away.

BTW OP - If you're getting a new vzw contract, this phone is $49.99 on amazon wireless (69.99 is upgrade price)

Last edited:

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I way eyeing this as well. When the MAXX first came out I really wanted it, but in today's landscape I'm not so sure. Mainly the screen quality is the only thing that would stop me from trying to take advantage of this deal.
If the M had a comparable battery it would be a great choice. It's at Wirefly now for only $50 and comes with a "JetPack" Mifi.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I know everyone is different, but for me I found the M to be too small. The screen size is comparable, but with no bezel I kept touching the screen while just trying to hold it or maneuver it and bringing up stuff unintentionally.

BTW OP - If you're getting a new vzw contract, this phone is $49.99 on amazon wireless (69.99 is upgrade price)

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I know everyone is different, but for me I found the M to be too small. The screen size is comparable, but with no bezel I kept touching the screen while just trying to hold it or maneuver it and bringing up stuff unintentionally.

I hate that, so badly.

sent from the fingers of a Mad Man

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
In a few months I might jump at a Razr Maxx HD.. I can't get a phone with less than 3000mah battery life anymore :D. I have to hold onto my Maxx for 120 days from August, cuz I bought it on Amazon wireless.

droidnewbie2011

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the Maxx. I have one and from what I've read here on the forum and posts, JB is coming at the end of the year to January 2013 at the latest.

mindhead1

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I would say no. ICS on the Maxx sucks (slightly better if you install 215). If you can spend the money and get the Maxx HD or the Razr HD. At least you know those will be getting JB.

Hardware is solid and battery life was awesome but deteriorated after ICS. The software performance with ICS is disappointing. Between the poor ICS performance on my Maxx and the poor performance on my sons X2 (GB)(overheating, reboots, sluggish performance). I have lost confidence in Motos ability to produce a quality product. I previously owned HTC phones and never had these types of problems.

If you have to stay on VZ, get an SIII or HTC Incredible 4g or HTC DNA.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My experience with the Maxx has been nothing but positive. After the ICS update, things slowed down for a few days and battery life seemed to take a hit, but everything normalized after about a week, which may have been helped by a cache partition wipe. I still routinely get at least 2 days out of a single charge with moderate use. I had an HTC Droid Incredible before my Maxx, and had numerous problems with that one after its updates, including random reboots. I don't think my Maxx has ever rebooted on its own.

There's always going to be a wide variety of experience with any phone or brand of phone. It's too bad we don't have any good reliability surveys, because on these forums, you tend to hear from people who are have problems much more often than from those who have none. Which makes sense, of course--if you have no problem with your phone, what is there really to write about besides, "Good phone, not having any problems"?