Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone experiencing lag on razr maxx?

I have had the maxx for about 8 months or so, and up until now, the phone has been rock solid and extremely fast. In the last few days, the phone has slowed down to a crawl. It is almost unusable. It takes 10-20 seconds to open most apps, including the email app. And opening an email can be painfully slow. It got so bad that I reactivated my BlackBerry Bold. And the Bold is running circles around the maxx, which can't be right.

Anyone have similar problems?
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Default Re: Anyone experiencing lag on razr maxx?

Try clearing your cache and give sd maid pro a shot.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
    If i have ever helped you, please do not forget to hit Thanks

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

If you need directions on how to clear your Cache, i have a write up HERE
    B. Diddy likes this.

Agree. If you don't know how to clear your cache, refer to bradenfontaine's thread here:
    How to clear your Cache (stock)

(It's also a link in his signature.)
    Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I should have mentioned that I cleared the cache and currently use sd maid. The phone is rooted also. I wonder if I need to wipe the phone. Something is definitely wrong.

Here is a link to a quick video I shot showing the lag for what it is worth. .

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by nogutsnoglory; 11-20-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added video link.

Just curious, have you checked your running available RAM? Maybe reached overload. I know it's supposed to refresh and restore, but ? Just a thought.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No, I'll check that. Thanks.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

make a backup, use Matt's 1.8 utility, wipe everything (option 1), root install safestrap 2.11, restore backup....

If you ever have any questions about rooting we have written up a nice little thread HERE, please read this and post if you have any questions.

Thanked by:

Does it lag even after rebooting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yes, even after a reboot it lags pretty bad. It just seems like every time you open an app or ask the phone to do anything it feels like an eternity until the phone completes the action. In reality it may only be 5-10 seconds. I remember first getting the phone and it was smoking fast.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I think that this is my only option. I was hoping to avoid doing this if possible, but not sure I can put it off any longer.

If the email app seems to be a particular problem, how about just stopping it, clearing all the data from that app, and not setting it back up with your email accounts to see if that leads to improvement? You could even try disabling the email app as well. If that doesn't help, it shouldn't be too hard to set it back up with your mail accounts.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Don't be scared we will help dot dot dot

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Arctic HD

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    Don't be scared we will help dot dot dot

Must be that good old voice typing huh?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

I think the root issue is that no voice typing can pick up on my way awesome accent combined with my incredible personality

Thanked by:
    carracerz14 and B. Diddy like this.

You'd probably destroy Siri.
    Thanked by 2:

What's a good app for non rooted phones?
    I know, I should just root, I'm just a bit worried that something will go wrong with my luck.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Good app for what?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

More chance of a flaming turd falling from the sky and hitting your windshield while pulling out of the carwash... Trust me. You click one button to root.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Thank you bradenfontaine so much for the advise and awesome write up on how to add safestrap, etc. I just finished it a little while ago but unfortunately, the lag is still there. It is painfully slow. My wife has the same phone with GB and I will check her's tonight to see if she has the same problem. Based on this I am going back to my Blackberry Bold at least for now. I just compared the 2 phones and even google maps loaded so much faster on the BB than it did on the motorola. Not trying to troll with that statement, just making an observation. I feel that some phones just don't work well with ICS yet. Hopefully that will change with the patch supposedly being worked on by Android at which time I can switch back.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Can I suggest flashing a custom ROM? Eclipse 1.5 is my personal favorite over at droidrzr.com, If you STILL experience lag... Then it could potentially be hardware. Keep us informed.

You could also consider a factory reset if you don't want to flash a ROM.
    The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,233 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by nogutsnoglory View Post
    Thank you bradenfontaine so much for the advise and awesome write up on how to add safestrap, etc. I just finished it a little while ago but unfortunately, the lag is still there. It is painfully slow. My wife has the same phone with GB and I will check her's tonight to see if she has the same problem. Based on this I am going back to my Blackberry Bold at least for now. I just compared the 2 phones and even google maps loaded so much faster on the BB than it did on the motorola. Not trying to troll with that statement, just making an observation. I feel that some phones just don't work well with ICS yet. Hopefully that will change with the patch supposedly being worked on by Android at which time I can switch back.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Rooting and installing safestrap will not clear up lag. Some of the apps you need root for can though. SD Maid Pro is good for cleaning your system safely. SetCPU is good for changing your CPU speed. I like using the hotplug Governor personally and people have reported a more fluid like experience with SIO as your I/O scheduler. There are many options.

Thanked by:

ROM
    Gingerbread

The lag your describing is an issue that came with the ICS update. Done experienced right away while others got it later. Mine is starting it again too.

Doing a reset clears it up but again may cone back eventually. There was an update we ate waiting for to fix it but that update may be JB instead.

We will see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that my Maxx is doing the same thing. It slows to a crawl when I'm trying to open an app, and the web browsing has become painfully slow as well. When I try to enter an address in my web browser, It usually takes 2 to 3 seconds for my Maxx to recognize that I've hit a key. It has also started randomly rebooting on me. For example, I tried to open my camera, and after waiting 15 seconds or so for the camera to open, the phone just rebooted. Have wiped the cache, done factory resets, and reduced the number of apps on my phone down to bare bones, and still have to reset my phone once or twice a day to make it usable. I miss how fast my Maxx used to be when I first got it.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Ok, I think I figured out the problem. When I compared my razr maxx running ICS to my wife's running GB I noticed my wife's phone running much faster than mine. I think it has to do with the fact that on ICS, I have the option to close or exit an app which I usually to to try to limited the use of RAM (goes back to using blackberries). When I did a direct comparison between the phones I was always opening the app on my phone but the app on my wife's phone was never really closed so it would open much faster. When I compared the phones with the apps on my phone open (previously opened and then hitting the home button) the phones were very similar.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast