Crud, rescue me from my waffling . . . :(

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
bradenfontaine, et al, I need an intervention . . I have wanted and waited for a razr maxx black friday deal to come along and now all of a sudden I actually get to go in a store (I live in the boonies) and I'm thinking "heck, this galaxy nexus is nice and feels good in my hand and its only $29." . . . I know you guys are big fans, somebody talk me off the ledge, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have battery life and smart actions etc, but . . . arrrgggghhh :(

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest =)

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe I am going to say this.... I love my Nexus but there are times during the work week where I wish I had the MAXX. Wish I had both. But for work reasons I need my phone to last all day. I see the battery life my father in law gets on his MAXX that he bought based on my recommendation.

If battery is mission critical go with the MAXX. Or carry two extra batteries with you like I do now. With my two extra batteries I can make it all day even when going straight to my sons practice after work.

Plus my Verizon Nexus feels like a Nexus stepchild. I was running custom Roms. Due to needing my phone for work now my customization has stopped. I will say some of the kernels/ ROMS did have better battery life.

Hope that helps. Enjoy whatever you get.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Maxx =maximum RF signal. You said you live in boonies right? Unless your under a tower. Love my Maxx and feel its still relevant after near a year and on into 2013. That said, the DNA trip your trigger at all? If I broke my Maxx I'd at least consider DNA.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Maxx =maximum RF signal. You said you live in boonies right? Unless your under a tower. Love my Maxx and feel its still relevant after near a year and on into 2013. That said, the DNA trip your trigger at all? If I broke my Maxx I'd at least consider DNA.

I like the dna but not sure about battery life, only 11 gb, costs much more than maxx, and I don't know if the htc sense would bug me I kinda like what moto has done with its light skin.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I like the dna but not sure about battery life, only 11 gb, costs much more than maxx, and I don't know if the htc sense would bug me I kinda like what moto has done with its light skin.
I've never liked moto's oem UI. I've always used a custom, currently using TSF shell, awesome UI and launcher. In any case a third party launcher would over ride the sense BS. That sense is so old, can't understand why it hasn't been updated. Never did care for that giant clock and weather combo. When the DNA becomes root able then we'll really have something.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Oh man. Anything but the nexus. I had a nexus, horrible. If you live in the boonies don't expect to get ANY signal with the nexus, I live in a major metro and I still got no 4G and 2 bars of 3g where I not get full 4g with the maxx.

The build quality is also way better on the razr, it's not all cheap and plastic-y feeling like Samsung is known for

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks . . All replys are welcome but I like hearing from you and braden and other fans i see regularly . . Do you have that dock thingy or know anyone that does? The maxx is 45 on amazon and 70 on wirefly but that comes with the dock.

Btw you're almost up to 1000 posts =)

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I know this doesn't count, but I had the Nexus S (Sprint), the baby sibling to the Galaxy Nexus, and loved the screen, loved the feel of it, but compared to my Maxx, the speaker sucked, the earpiece volume sucked, the thing rebooted randomly at least once a week (stock), and the wifi antenna was weak! I'm assuming that because they are both Samsung-based, that you might run into some of the same things I ran into with my Nexus S, with the Galaxy Nexus.

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Personally, id shoot for the Maxx HD. If that is out of the price range, stick with the Maxx. I hear everyday on many forums complaints about battery life. That is the selling factor for the maxx. The build quality is superb, radios are strong, and the custom roming is still going strong. Heck they have Jelly Bean roms out right now for our phones! Granted I would call them beta, it is still better than some who will never come off ICS. Now, if you care about timely updates straight from Google, and don?t mind not being on Verizon, get a nexus from Google Play, not Verizon. But you?ll regret it. Timely updates are not the almighty. Go with the Maxx, or Maxx HD. Don?t settle for less brother.

Everyone gets the itch to try something different. New phones are announced regularly, with bigger and brighter screens, faster processors, more ram, more memory, and new features. You will never be on top of the game for long. That is the tech industry. Read up. Read reviews. Not paid reviews, but user reviews. Find something that has the qualities that you need right now, not what is promised in an update.

I personally believe I have found the phone that will last me my 2 year contract. Will I get an itch? Sure, everyone does. But I am happy with this. Anytime I get bored, I flash a different rom. And there are plenty to choose from. Re arrange your home screen. Look through our sticky for screen shots to get some ideas. The possibilities are endless. The radios are the best in any phone I?ve owned, and I?ve owned many. It is the lightest, thinnest, and biggest battery phone I?ve ever touched. I believe Motorola is on to something with this line and I think they know it too. Like I said, if you have the $$$ get the Maxx HD, if not, go with the Maxx. I considered getting the HD, but then I reminded myself what I just told you. Head up, and read read read ;)

Last edited:

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Motorola did very well with ics and motoblur, it's just about as stock Android as you can get from any brand besides a true nexus, which the Verizon galaxy nexus isn't technically a true nexus, it's still loaded with bloat, and Verizon controls all updates just the same as they would for the maxx.

I agree that if you can afford the maxx hd, then go for that, but if it's too much then the maxx is a very good phone and it has been confirmed to be getting jelly bean hopefully soon.

I don't think you will be disappointed at all :beer:

As for the dock, are you speaking of the lap dock? Personally I don't know anyone who has it, but I do know that after Motorola has stopped making them, so if that's something you want then you will have to get the maxx as the hd or anything after won't be compatible with it.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
As for the dock, are you speaking of the lap dock?

No, its just a dock that charges your phone and holds it at an angle for use as an alarm clock; also has ports for hdmi out and ext speakers. I found a place to read up on it and doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, I don't plan to stream hdmi from my phone to my tv and I don't need it at a special angle on my bedside . . I guess to me it seems just as easy to just plug it in =).

Head up, and read read read

Yeah, I've done that, sometimes I just don't trust myself and helps me to hear others with real-world experience echo what I'm thinking.

Ok . . I didn't want to look stupid by asking . . but what does :beer: mean? :-[ :)

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
braden. . . so I read your articles on rooting etc, if I were to get the maxx hd I'm guessing that some of the stuff you get by custom rom'ing would then be stock for the hd? And if I wanted to be rooted for other reasons the process would be different, right?

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, it depends what rom you use. In the thread we made we used arctic hd (which will soon be updated as arctic is looking dead) as the base rom, which uses the maxx hd launcher and circle widget, so yes that would be stock on the hd. But rooting is far more powerful that just roming, so if you like the stock look you can still root and keep it stock without flashing a rom and still reap the benefits of being rooted such as using root apps like sd maid pro, titanium backup, and using safestrap to create backups of your rom.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci