Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Default Re: foxfi on jelly bean?

Quote Originally Posted by Quadruckus View Post
    It works. I've been using it on the Galaxy S3, dual-core. The phone's wifi hotspot software starts along with FoxFi in the form of a notification, which is annoying, but if you ignore it then it's not an issue. Only thing is, I've noticed it takes my laptop or PC forever to "identify" the network, and I sometimes, for some strange reason, have a windows IP address conflict. I've renewed the IP on the PC end, to no avail. Because of this, I occasionally have to restart my phone to set up a working hotspot (very rarely). I haven't looked too far into whether it's been an ongoing problem on my PC or just FoxFi on JB's, but it wasn't happening before the JB update. As of right now, I'm on my self-built home PC and it's working great. In fact, I cancelled Comcast because the speed tests I ran under-performed my phone's outrageous 4G speed. I also use my PS3 to connect to my phone wirelessly where I am able to stream HD Netflix content.

My opinion, there MIGHT be something a tad bit janky about FoxFi on JB, as it seems to have worked without ANY hitches on ICS.. it DOES work fine now but I've noticed a few hindrances and hiccups, unknown to me whether a PC or FoxFi issue. The software update itself, with Google Now, fluidity tweaks, new features and stability are definitely worth the update.

So, in the end, I encourage you to update your damn phone!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
    Hey Quadruckus...any update on the "janky-ness" of FoxFi on JB? As in...are you still receiving the IP address conflict every now and then? I too have FoxFi, although now I use it within the merged PDANet+ app, and am also using a Galaxy S3 with JB. At least once a day I receive an IP address conflict since I have two laptops which I use to connect to my phone's wifi. If I use one laptop it is fine, but as soon as I try to open a browser on the 2nd laptop, my 4G data connection drops, and everything goes dead. I've tried to resolve the IP address conflect by renewing it as well...but no luck there.

Any thoughts?

So what's the final word here? Is FoxFi working with JB or not? Seems like there's lots of conflicting information floating around...
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".
    WifiMAD likes this.

I have theJB build OTA from 12/24. Foxfi does not work stand alone. You can use bluetooth tether, i do it using PDA net.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

John,

Don't know if you ever found a product similar to FoxFi, but I have one that you may want to try. BTW, did you ever upgrade to Jellybean? The product is called Free Tethering by Guardam. I emailed him about it and he indicated that it should work with Jellybean.

Let me know if you're successful.

Huff:

Been waiting to see a reply like yours.The foxfi dev says the same thing, nice to see confirmation from a user.

THX

I have FoxFi on my Samsung Gal 2 Tab running ICS and it works fine with my laptop. I also have it on my Razr Maxx HD and it doesnt connect without the Verizon Hotspot also connecting, kind of defeating the purpose of FoxFi. Therefore, I would say is DOESN'T work on JB, only ICS right now, but some people with the New Samsung phones are able to use sporatically. I would say NO...right now.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Did a search for PDA Net and found this thread. I have a Note2 on JB 4.1.2

I just downloaded PDA NEt to get tethering for free and it's working but the default verizon hotspot icon pops up in the notification area. Is this something to be worried about? If I go in and disable the Verizon hotspot it kills my connection.

After update to JB 4.1.2 carrier has blocked WiFi.
    Is there a work around or update for Foxfi?

Don't know if this will help or not. I am not real tech savvy when it comes to my phone. My son and I each have a Droid Razr, he upgraded and can no longer tether with foxfi/pdanet+. I would love to know if anyone has found something that will work. I live in the boonies and can't get any type of wireless internet that works well.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boo jellybean View Post
    Don't know if this will help or not. I am not real tech savvy when it comes to my phone. My son and I each have a Droid Razr, he upgraded and can no longer tether with foxfi/pdanet+. I would love to know if anyone has found something that will work. I live in the boonies and can't get any type of wireless internet that works well.
    There's an easy fix...once you update to JB, root your phone and then d/l SqLite Editor to change the "entitlement check" to 0...once you do that, FoxFi/PdaNet+ will work again.

Default Re: Jelly Been and FoxFi

On Droid Razor Maxx. The update to JB stopped my Foxfi from working. I can use the USB with PDANet but it seems Verizon cuts me down to 3g sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get back to 4g.
    I sure hope Foxfi can release a work around for this.

Default Re: Jelly Been and FoxFi

I have the JB update sitting in my phone but have chosen not to install it yet (wish somebody new how I could delete it). I really enjoy Foxfi and decided not to push the install button to activate JB. I have to bypass the install request every 12 hours.... just one button... not too bad. I am contemplating "Rooting" but still haven't made that decision yet. There's lots of great resources here to do so and I'm sure that will work fine but I'm still a little "iffy" on rooting. Some folks are posting here that their Foxfi works with ICS... that's pretty much a "DUH." I think this thread revolves around folks experiences with tethering and JB which has been well documented. Thanks for all of the great info.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    There's an easy fix...once you update to JB, root your phone and then d/l SqLite Editor to change the "entitlement check" to 0...once you do that, FoxFi/PdaNet+ will work again.
    Can you give the link to these specific instructions?.... I can't seem to locate it.

Quote Originally Posted by rkortes View Post
    Can you give the link to these specific instructions?.... I can't seem to locate it.
    I'm in the same boat as you - I've never rooted my phone but I'm thinking about doing it.

Here's a video on YouTube that shows the process that was described in post #60

(Disclaimer: The video is not mine and I cannot vouch for its contents.)

It also appears there are a number of tethering apps on Google Play for rooted phones - this may be an easier option then what was detailed in the video.
    Thanked by:
    FrostTheBoss likes this.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

I have no problem using pdanet+ / Foxfi on my non rooted galaxy s3. Use it to connect my galaxy note 10.1 all the time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by J Teezy View Post
    I have no problem using pdanet+ / Foxfi on my non rooted galaxy s3. Use it to connect my galaxy note 10.1 all the time

What carrier? My MAXX on Verizon is blocked from using FoxFi with WiFi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Verizon

I'm also on Verizon and use foxfi wireless tether on non rooted s3 to access my laptop and tablet. Tho it drops alot recently

I can guarantee you will not be able to use foxfi for hotspot after installing the upgrade to jelly bean,DON'T DO IT!!! Blue tooth works, but has restrictions with android apps.

Unhappy Re: foxfi on jelly bean?

Foxfi worked fine on my RAZR Maxx with ICS. But I received the Jellybean update and now Foxfi is blocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Foxfi worked fine on my RAZR Maxx with ICS. But I received the Jellybean update and now Foxfi is blocked.
    Thanked by:

I feel bad for you verizon cats.

Maybe you guys learn form this and get a service that does not imprison you next time.

ROM
    Gingerbread

Where did that come from really Verizon is the problem now. This is an issue that came with jelly bean . It worked fine in ics with the same restrictions

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Something important to note...If you are on the metered data plans you get the Verizon hotspot for free. If you have an unlimited plan then you would need to do the workaround.

Sent from my KFTT using Android Central Forums

How? I am on a metered plan and when I try to use it I get a pop up that says I need to pay $20.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Dont you love how Verizon makes you buy data and then make you pay even more to use it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast