foxfi on jelly bean?

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
can anyone confirm if foxfi still works after the newest jelly bean update? checking for a friend.

if not what app for wifi tethering are you guys using for the maxx? (not rooted)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The app description on Google Play still says it doesn't work on Jellybean. I assume this means that a phone with JB can't be used for tethering with Foxfi, but I wonder if an ICS phone with Foxfi can be a tether for a device with JB, like my wifi only Nexus 7? I'll have to try when I get home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As long as the fox-fi works on the client it shouldn't matter. It sees it as a Wi-Fi access point.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed that the razor with jelly bean can still use foxfi? Or whatever you where talking about. I tried using foxfi on my rooted gnex and my PC kept saying that the target was lost. Using my rooted apps it worked fine. My buddy doesn't want to accept the update to jb until he knows he can still tether to his nexus 7

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm confirming that Foxfi on an ICS phone can be a tether for a JB wifi device, like my Nexus 7.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That's not my question and also common knowledge that it works. It has to do with the app compatibility with the host device. The devices that connect are just receiving the WiFi signal. So the version does not matter. You can connect a PC or laptop not running any android os and even apple devices. So back on to my topic now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you seem a little peeved at me, my friend. In my first response, I tried to answer your question by saying that the actual Foxfi developer says in the app description that Foxfi is not compatible with Jellybean. I then went on to wonder if there would be any problems with Jellybean receiving wifi signal from Foxfi, because it is not necessarily common knowledge if the dev is talking about incompatibility issues. Threads often go on tangents in these forums, so you'll have to get used to it.

Last edited:

grizz100

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am totally confused at this point so if my question is answered in this thread, I apoligize but would ask that you answer it again. Here is my question.

I currently have Droid Razr Maxx with ICS. Sometime after the first of the year, the Jelly bean OS is supposed to be pushed out for it. Will FoxFi still work once the new OS goes on the phone? I am thinking that the dev is saying currently it won't--but I'm not sure I'm understanding where things are currently. Thanks for the help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
According to the FoxFi developer, Jellybean is not currently supported on the phone you want to use as a wifi tether. Who knows when exactly the Razr Maxx will get its Jellybean upgrade (my guess is mid to late 1st quarter of 2013), but hopefully the developer will get it working by then. You can always email them your question at foxfi1@foxfi.com (got that address from the Play Store).

SoccerRef12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I am totally confused at this point so if my question is answered in this thread, I apoligize but would ask that you answer it again. Here is my question.

I currently have Droid Razr Maxx with ICS. Sometime after the first of the year, the Jelly bean OS is supposed to be pushed out for it. Will FoxFi still work once the new OS goes on the phone? I am thinking that the dev is saying currently it won't--but I'm not sure I'm understanding where things are currently. Thanks for the help.

If tethering is important to you and FoxFi doesn't work with JB there are several custom JB ROMS that have working WiFi/Tether embedded in the ROM. So I'm sure that the updated custom JB Roms will also have working WiFi/Tether.

grizz100

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If tethering is important to you and FoxFi doesn't work with JB there are several custom JB ROMS that have working WiFi/Tether embedded in the ROM. So I'm sure that the updated custom JB Roms will also have working WiFi/Tether.
I,m an old man and not very savvy with any of this-so I hope you bear with me. But I have no idea what a JB ROM is? I'm trying to continue to be able to use my phone as a hotspot without paying the carrier extra money. I can currently do that with FoxFi, but won't be able to when upgrade to JB comes about. If there is something else that would work, what is it and where do I find it? Thanks in advance.

SoccerRef12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Once the Razr Maxx is updated to Jelly Bean I suspect that the FoxFi developer will have had time to update FoxFi to support Jelly Bean. If not, there are other options to connect your Maxx as a WiFi hotspot. I would love to have Jelly Bean by first quarter 2013, but wouldn't be surprised if it comes later.

brorober

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that FoxFi does NOT work in JB with Verizon. I am running a Razr MAXX HD and the app worked fine in ICS. I can launch the program in JB but as soon as I select Activate WiFi Hotspot, a message appears stating "Checking subscription status" and then the phone reboots. Hope the developers find a way to fix this soon. So far, JB (for me) isn't living up to all the hype that is out there.

wmiranda

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy S3... JB updated today. Typing this on my laptop... connected to FoxFi... no issues other than the phones wifi software starts up (never did... just wireless) but the developer page says to ignore... it happens.

Ben Soelberg

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about the S3 on verizon. does it work, I got the notification this morning for the update and want to make sure first. I am still on the unlimited data plan but they keep trying to get me to go tiered. Not going to happen, I use over 100GB per month, I use the wifi at work and home. I am already paying over $200 per month for 2 lines, I am not paying more. So is it confirmed to work on S3 on Verizon with no added charges? I just want to make absolutely certain.

Quadruckus

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
It works. I've been using it on the Galaxy S3, dual-core. The phone's wifi hotspot software starts along with FoxFi in the form of a notification, which is annoying, but if you ignore it then it's not an issue. Only thing is, I've noticed it takes my laptop or PC forever to "identify" the network, and I sometimes, for some strange reason, have a windows IP address conflict. I've renewed the IP on the PC end, to no avail. Because of this, I occasionally have to restart my phone to set up a working hotspot (very rarely). I haven't looked too far into whether it's been an ongoing problem on my PC or just FoxFi on JB's, but it wasn't happening before the JB update. As of right now, I'm on my self-built home PC and it's working great. In fact, I cancelled Comcast because the speed tests I ran under-performed my phone's outrageous 4G speed. I also use my PS3 to connect to my phone wirelessly where I am able to stream HD Netflix content.

My opinion, there MIGHT be something a tad bit janky about FoxFi on JB, as it seems to have worked without ANY hitches on ICS.. it DOES work fine now but I've noticed a few hindrances and hiccups, unknown to me whether a PC or FoxFi issue. The software update itself, with Google Now, fluidity tweaks, new features and stability are definitely worth the update.

So, in the end, I encourage you to update your damn phone! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Jelly Been and FoxFi

So, it looks like JB has been released for us...mine is currently downloading. I know that FoxFi doesn't support JB right now...is there any other application out there that I can use to tether my Maxx (w/JB) to my tablet?

Chief

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34