Hot spot

laparker150

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I've got svtp (paid) as a hot spot app. It works sometime, like about 3 times today, then I try starting it and it stops by itself before initializing. I called Verizon about setting up their hotspot and they wanted $20-30 a month depending on how I wanted it. I told them no thanks, it's something that should be free.

I only use it when my satellite is down, maybe once or twice a year.

My question....if I root my maxx, can I get around Verizon's hotspot and get one that would work dependably?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't answer your rooting question, but I can say that FoxFi has so far worked well for me. It's a popular tethering app that used to be free, but now does have a paid version (which I think is totally fine, since it's a very useful app). If you use the free app, it will allow you to use it for a certain amount of data, then will stop--you can restart it, and it will still be free, but it's just a hassle. The paid version is $7 and gets around this limitation, and in my opinion is well worth it. A small caveat--it currently is not compatible with Jellybean phones.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ditto for foxfi. I have used it alot and works great. Hope the dev can make work for jb. Svtp used to work for me until the ics update.

laparker150

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I just got on/off with svtp. Works great most of the time. I'll download Foxfi and give it a try. I do have ICS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If Foxfi doesn't work for you, I have always used Barnacle which requires root, it does the job well.

I should clarify that I have yet to try it on my Maxx though.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If you root your Maxx you can disable the hotspot entitlement so it will just always work and verizons none the wiser. I've been doing it this way for 11 months. SQLite editor, a paid app is required to make the entitlement change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair