Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE] [depreciated] Port AOKP or CM9 on your Alltel RAZR MAXX!

Quote Originally Posted by chairwolf View Post
    Greetings, folks. Semi-noob here (ok, noob). The Droid Razr Maxx XT908 is my 2nd phone. First was an LG Axis AS740 which I rooted. I now have an XT908. Having trouble finding reliable info on rooting this particular model. NOTE: I'm not on Verizon OR Alltel, but on nTelos.
    [TOOL][ROOT/UnROOT][Razr] EternityProject EasyRootICS v1.5 [Win/Linux] - xda-developers should do the trick. Not positive, but it worked on mine flawlessly. I could be wrong but I don't think the tool 'cares' which carrier you are with.

As for the benefit of custom ROMs-from what I have experienced they are generally faster, most if not all bloat is removed, and have different looks/themes already installed. They also allow for overclocking and 'upgrading' to newer versions of the OS-like GB to ICS or JB. I doubt Alltel will push an update out for my RAZR to get Jelly Bean so A custom ROM would be nice to have.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hey man. I replied to you on DroidRZR. I need you to install Safestrap, make a backup, and send me the systemorig.ext3.zip file that will be located in your /backups folder and I can try to cook you up a patch.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    Hey man. I replied to you on DroidRZR. I need you to install Safestrap, make a backup, and send me the systemorig.ext3.zip file that will be located in your /backups folder and I can try to cook you up a patch.
    To me?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No, to Chairwolf

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    --Chris [cole2kb]

Thanks, Chris. I've got too many forums going here! LOL.

On DroidRzr, I had a question - which version of safestrap should I use? One is called maserati, one is called spyder, and there were a handful of others. I think with my phone I should use spyder, but I'm not sure.

pmasssey31545, thanks for the reply. I'm getting there!

Chris, sorry for the confusion friend!

Bob
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No worries.

Again, I take no responsibility for bricking.

That being said, I see no reason why the Spyder version of Safestrap wouldn't work for you.

I'd recommend following the guide in the Stickies of this subforum, using Matt's utility to root and install Safestrap 2 I can't recommend 3 just yet as it isn't working for my non-Verizon RAZR.
    --Chris [cole2kb]

No worries.

Again, I take no responsibility for bricking.

That being said, I see no reason why the Spyder version of Safestrap wouldn't work for you.

I'd recommend following the guide in the Stickies of this subforum, using Matt's utility to root and install Safestrap 2 I can't recommend 3 just yet as it isn't working for my non-Verizon RAZR.
    So Mr. cole, I wonder if the root method I used could've possibly messed up my /system and that is the issue I am running into? Still wouldn't explain the md5checksum mismatch, but maybe would explain the issue of not being able to format the /system. Might unroot and reroot with Matt's utility and see if that helps.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'd uninstall the recovery, delete the /safestrap folder on your SD card, unroot, and then start from scratch. Did you post in the Safestrap thread?
    --Chris [cole2kb]

I'd uninstall the recovery, delete the /safestrap folder on your SD card, unroot, and then start from scratch. Did you post in the Safestrap thread?
    I did. Just did it again too. Not sure I have the right thread over there but no one is responding. Just gonna play around some. It's aggravating though knowing it can be done and not being able to do it for some reason.

JUST AN UPDATE:
    Well, I got v.2.11 working. Still not sure what I did differently but here are the steps:
    Uninstalled everything.
    Unrooted.
    Formatted SD and internal SD.
    Checked both for errors using check disk in Windows.
    Did a factory reset from within the phone and let it reboot to the OS.
    Went into factory recovery and wiped data and cache after a clean boot.
    Started up the phone and 2.11 works and I was able to format /system and install a custom ROM.

3.11 still will not see the SD card though.

Quote Originally Posted by pmassey31545 View Post
    JUST AN UPDATE:
    Well, I got v.2.11 working. Still not sure what I did differently but here are the steps:
    Uninstalled everything.
    Unrooted.
    Formatted SD and internal SD.
    Checked both for errors using check disk in Windows.
    Did a factory reset from within the phone and let it reboot to the OS.
    Went into factory recovery and wiped data and cache after a clean boot.
    Started up the phone and 2.11 works and I was able to format /system and install a custom ROM.

3.11 still will not see the SD card though.
    Finally got 3.11 working. Not sure what I did differently but I followed cole2kb's step but restarted in between uninstall and install. Working like a champ now.

I too have a RAZR MAXX with Ntelos. I have it rooted and am currently running SafeStrap 3.05. cole2kb, do you still need a copy of that file from a backup to work with? If, so I have one ready and waiting for you. I would love to get in on some ICS or Jelly Bean! Thanks in advance!
    Thanked by:

Hey Spikemonkey, glad to hear you got your Ntelos Maxx rooted! Is yours an XT908? I e-mailed Matt yesterday and he recommended that I NOT use the 1.82 utility, since I (we) are not on Verizon. Did you use it? If you could post the details of what you used to root, (version numbers, maybe links, etc.) and all that jazz I'd really appreciate it. You can pm me or post here, or whatever.

muchas gracias!!!

Bob
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah if you guys want me to try to make something work for you I need that file.

Also, chairwolf, you should be able to root using Matt's utility just fine.

--Chris [cole2kb]

Quote Originally Posted by chairwolf View Post
    Hey Spikemonkey, glad to hear you got your Ntelos Maxx rooted! Is yours an XT908? I e-mailed Matt yesterday and he recommended that I NOT use the 1.82 utility, since I (we) are not on Verizon. Did you use it? If you could post the details of what you used to root, (version numbers, maybe links, etc.) and all that jazz I'd really appreciate it. You can pm me or post here, or whatever.

muchas gracias!!!

Bob
    I used EternityProject EasyRootICS v1.5, I found a tutorial on XDA. Yes its an XT908. I hope this helps!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah if you guys want me to try to make something work for you I need that file.

What's the easiest way to get it to you? Thanks!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You can get a Drop box account and upload it there.

--Chris [cole2kb]

You can get a Drop box account and upload it there.

I'll see what I can do!

Hey Chris,

I rooted using 1.82 like you said - no problems! I also loaded SS 3.11, and did a b/u but I don't see that file anywhere. Does 3.11 make a different file name and put it in a different folder? Let me know and I'll get it to you asap.

Thanks,

Bob

Your backup will be on your SD card in the TWRP folder.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by iaminflames View Post
    Your backup will be on your SD card in the TWRP folder.

I assume it's the 3rd one down System.ext3.win (447 MB)?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [GUIDE] [depreciated] Port AOKP or CM9 on your Alltel RAZR MAXX!-screenshot_2013-01-27-16-03-17.png  

That would be your OS/system files

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yep that's what I need.

--Chris [cole2kb]

Yep that's what I need.

Chris, pm me on how to get you that file.

Thanks,

Bob

hey Chris I have that file in the Dropbox whenever you're ready!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Someone pick a dang rom for me to patch! Lol

Sent from my dirty rainbow unicorn Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD (HorriblyDeveloped)
    --Chris [cole2kb]
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast