[GUIDE] [depreciated] Port AOKP or CM9 on your Alltel RAZR MAXX!

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm an idiot. The first post and Title of the thread says it is for Alltel. Such a doofus. Gonna unistall. Factory reset. Reinstall and see if I can do it then.

Last edited:

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Lol, no worries. Let me know how it goes.

Bout to give up. So I went in and did a back up of my current ROM (stock) and booted into my ROM and went through the steps to perform a factory reset. It went great. Phone is up and running at this point. So I installed safestrap and reboot to recovery. Went throught the steps to flash and still cannot format /system. Get the same error I posted earlier. SO, naturally, I decided to restore my backup I made and when I do I get an MD5 checksum mismatch. What the crap??!! I didn't change the name or anything. I have a backup from yesterday and one from today and niether worked so I am back to the "Original OOB" condition.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend going to the Safestrap thread on Droidrzr and posting your issue straight to the source. Sorry I can't help you more.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Greetings, folks. Semi-noob here (ok, noob). :) The Droid Razr Maxx XT908 is my 2nd phone. First was an LG Axis AS740 which I rooted. I now have an XT908. Having trouble finding reliable info on rooting this particular model. NOTE: I'm not on Verizon OR Alltel, but on nTelos.

Particulars:

6.16.300.XT908.ACG-nTelos.en.US

ICS 4.0.4

firmware GAS_NA_GCXSPYDERNT

baseband version N_04.23.00R

Kernel version 3.0.8-ga0b5673 hudsoncm@il93lnxdroid84 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 28 08:23:00 CDT 2012

AP flex version GAS_NA_GCXSPYDERNT

Build number 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_NA-30

I don't know anything about ROMS, I just want root access to remove bloatware, use better (root) apps, etc. but I'm interested in learning about ROMS and how they can be of benefit.

Any help to be had out there?

Thanks,

CW

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Greetings, folks. Semi-noob here (ok, noob). :) The Droid Razr Maxx XT908 is my 2nd phone. First was an LG Axis AS740 which I rooted. I now have an XT908. Having trouble finding reliable info on rooting this particular model. NOTE: I'm not on Verizon OR Alltel, but on nTelos.

[TOOL][ROOT/UnROOT][Razr] EternityProject EasyRootICS v1.5 [Win/Linux] - xda-developers should do the trick. Not positive, but it worked on mine flawlessly. I could be wrong but I don't think the tool 'cares' which carrier you are with.

As for the benefit of custom ROM's-from what I have experienced they are generally faster, most if not all bloat is removed, and have different looks/themes already installed. They also allow for overclocking and 'upgrading' to newer versions of the OS-like GB to ICS or JB. I doubt Alltel will push an update out for my RAZR to get Jelly Bean so A custom ROM would be nice to have.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey man. I replied to you on DroidRZR. I need you to install Safestrap, make a backup, and send me the systemorig.ext3.zip file that will be located in your /backups folder and I can try to cook you up a patch.

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Chris. I've got too many forums going here! LOL.

On DroidRzr, I had a question - which version of safestrap should I use? One is called maserati, one is called spyder, and there were a handful of others. I think with my phone I should use spyder, but I'm not sure.

pmasssey31545, thanks for the reply. I'm getting there!

Chris, sorry for the confusion friend!

Bob

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
No worries.

Again, I take no responsibility for bricking.

That being said, I see no reason why the Spyder version of Safestrap wouldn't work for you.

I'd recommend following the guide in the Stickies of this subforum, using Matt's utility to root and install Safestrap 2 I can't recommend 3 just yet as it isn't working for my non-Verizon RAZR.

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
No worries.

Again, I take no responsibility for bricking.

That being said, I see no reason why the Spyder version of Safestrap wouldn't work for you.

I'd recommend following the guide in the Stickies of this subforum, using Matt's utility to root and install Safestrap 2 I can't recommend 3 just yet as it isn't working for my non-Verizon RAZR.

So Mr. cole, I wonder if the root method I used could've possibly messed up my /system and that is the issue I am running into? Still wouldn't explain the md5checksum mismatch, but maybe would explain the issue of not being able to format the /system. Might unroot and reroot with Matt's utility and see if that helps.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd uninstall the recovery, delete the /safestrap folder on your SD card, unroot, and then start from scratch. Did you post in the Safestrap thread?

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd uninstall the recovery, delete the /safestrap folder on your SD card, unroot, and then start from scratch. Did you post in the Safestrap thread?

I did. Just did it again too. Not sure I have the right thread over there but no one is responding. Just gonna play around some. It's aggravating though knowing it can be done and not being able to do it for some reason.

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
JUST AN UPDATE:
Well, I got v.2.11 working. Still not sure what I did differently but here are the steps:
Uninstalled everything.
Unrooted.
Formatted SD and internal SD.
Checked both for errors using check disk in Windows.
Did a factory reset from within the phone and let it reboot to the OS.
Went into factory recovery and wiped data and cache after a clean boot.
Started up the phone and 2.11 works and I was able to format /system and install a custom ROM.

3.11 still will not see the SD card though.

pmassey31545

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
JUST AN UPDATE:
Well, I got v.2.11 working. Still not sure what I did differently but here are the steps:
Uninstalled everything.
Unrooted.
Formatted SD and internal SD.
Checked both for errors using check disk in Windows.
Did a factory reset from within the phone and let it reboot to the OS.
Went into factory recovery and wiped data and cache after a clean boot.
Started up the phone and 2.11 works and I was able to format /system and install a custom ROM.

3.11 still will not see the SD card though.

Finally got 3.11 working. Not sure what I did differently but I followed cole2kb's step but restarted in between uninstall and install. Working like a champ now.

Spikemonkey

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I too have a RAZR MAXX with Ntelos. I have it rooted and am currently running SafeStrap 3.05. cole2kb, do you still need a copy of that file from a backup to work with? If, so I have one ready and waiting for you. I would love to get in on some ICS or Jelly Bean! Thanks in advance!

chairwolf

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Spikemonkey, glad to hear you got your Ntelos Maxx rooted! Is yours an XT908? I e-mailed Matt yesterday and he recommended that I NOT use the 1.82 utility, since I (we) are not on Verizon. Did you use it? If you could post the details of what you used to root, (version numbers, maybe links, etc.) and all that jazz I'd really appreciate it. You can pm me or post here, or whatever.

muchas gracias!!!

Bob

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if you guys want me to try to make something work for you I need that file.

Also, chairwolf, you should be able to root using Matt's utility just fine.

Spikemonkey

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Spikemonkey, glad to hear you got your Ntelos Maxx rooted! Is yours an XT908? I e-mailed Matt yesterday and he recommended that I NOT use the 1.82 utility, since I (we) are not on Verizon. Did you use it? If you could post the details of what you used to root, (version numbers, maybe links, etc.) and all that jazz I'd really appreciate it. You can pm me or post here, or whatever.

muchas gracias!!!

Bob

I used EternityProject EasyRootICS v1.5, I found a tutorial on XDA. Yes its an XT908. I hope this helps!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah if you guys want me to try to make something work for you I need that file.

Also, chairwolf, you should be able to root using Matt's utility just fine.

What's the easiest way to get it to you? Thanks!