Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why wait for an already-obsolete OS? I want 4.2 NOW, not 4.1 !

Hi everybody:

If the carrier doesn't issue an update to the latest OS within 3 months of availability from Google, they should be required to allow trade-in of the 'outdated' phone for hardware with current OS availability w/o being able to charge their break-up fee. I could get elected to President if I could get that passed!

I've spent the past hour cursing 4.0 and almost sent the **** phone flying out the window! I'd much rather fine-tune something that's running OK already.

I'm an relative newbie to Android (can't you tell?). I know Windows from DOS to present and have been building high performance (hardware) PCs for almost 20 years.

Is there a way to put 4.2 on a Verizon Razr Maxx? And.... keep it updated with latest OS?

I've been a hot rodder since just after birth, esp.with computers. I want to know how to modify these little computers to run as well as they should (w/o the standard bloatware crap)..

Thanks in advance.

Wizwill

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Why wait for an already-obsolete OS? I want 4.2 NOW, not 4.1 !

Lol.. you think 4.1 is obsolete? Says who? Do you know how many phones out there have even 4.0?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    RyTopgonzo 
    Topgonzo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizwill View Post
    Hi everybody:

If the carrier doesn't issue an update to the latest OS within 3 months of availability from Google, they should be required to allow trade-in of the 'outdated' phone for hardware with current OS availability w/o being able to charge their break-up fee. I could get elected to President if I could get that passed!

I've spent the past hour cursing 4.0 and almost sent the **** phone flying out the window! I'd much rather fine-tune something that's running OK already.

I'm an relative newbie to Android (can't you tell?). I know Windows from DOS to present and have been building high performance (hardware) PCs for almost 20 years.

Is there a way to put 4.2 on a Verizon Razr Maxx? And.... keep it updated with latest OS?

I've been a hot rodder since just after birth, esp.with computers. I want to know how to modify these little computers to run as well as they should (w/o the standard bloatware crap)..

Thanks in advance.

Wizwill
    You do understand that the only reason we are even at JB is because they accidentally released it and it was made for side loading. Otherwise we would still be eating that ICS. IMO we are lucky to even have JB. I have 4.2 on my Nexus 7 and it really isnt that different but do not expect 4.2 anytime soon. They have to officially release 4.1 first.
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, Nexus 7, DROID MAXX, Sony Xperia Z2 (tablet), and LG G3 (Verizon)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have 4.2 on my Nexus 7 also and the Google voice search included with that version beats Siri on Mac hardware. That's why I like the latest stuff!

ROM
    Arctic HD

The differences you will find between 4.1.1 and 4.2.1 are minimal.

If you want the latest then ditch verizon and get a nexus device.

People will always find a reason to whine I guess.

Btw you're talking about Google now, which started on 4.1.1

Also, how many other phones do you know that we're released with gingerbread are even getting an update to ics, let alone jb.... Be glad you are even getting updates
    Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

No one said there will be 4.2 for the RAZR MAXX. With phone software and hardware, if you want the latest and greatest, you will have to pay. Just because you have a phone that was the top end phone back a year ago doesn't mean it needs to get the update like phones that are coming out now.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Yes sir, I understand your pain, get your phone directly from Google

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe you need to get a Windows phone instead of Android.

Put away the pipe. It seems you're not only new to Android but also new to the real business world and how it works. If you're such a "hot rodder" that you claim to be, then maybe you should be able to figure something out with your "20 years of experience."
    • LG G3 [KitKat 4.4.2]
    • Asus Nexus 7 2013 [KitKat 4.4.4]
    • Motorola Droid Razr Maxx [JB 4.1.2]
    Topgonzo likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Me thinks mister "hot rodder" should build 4.2 for his device from source himself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Topgonzo likes this.

Don't give him a hard time he's just having fun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    jeffrok likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

To all:

I guess it might be fun for some folks to read all the negativist comments posted in response to my original inquiry. Moab was the only comforting voice.

Why does everyone have to parrot the Company Line? I really don't need to know how the 'business world' works Why does an upgrade path require a certain progression? If the hardware is the same for both versions, why do you need to do 4.1 first, why not go to the latest and greatest right off the bat? If 4.1 and 4.2 are both available, why in **** would you use the earlier system? Do you-all always do everything you are told? I thought we techies were supposed to be forward thinkers and proactive doers! 4.2 is out on the Nexus 4 phone so it IS available.

This stuff isn't rocket science folks, it's really a lot more complicated, but we do it every day. I truly expected more from a collection of minds as brilliant as this forum represents.

Why not wipe the old software completely and install the new already? I just want to know the mechanisms for doing that, not be told it can't be done. I know it can, I just don't know how YET!

A competent hot rodder can modify a passenger car engine to make 8000 horsepower and put it in a specialixed chassis and make all those parts work so well the dragster willl cover a 1/4 mile in under 5 seconds at over 300 mph. Surely 4.2 from an existing Android phone can be modified to work on a similar existing Android phone that has decent battery life that I already own. Anyone care to assist me?

Thanks for your responses
    Wizwill
    wizwill@gmail.com
    Last edited by Wizwill; 01-08-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Its called source code son. Trust me if you looked at it, it may very well look like rocket science lol. First the reason you don't normally skip versions is because if you do its likely you will be writing piles and piles of new code the old kernel you started with is no longer compatible and all of your drivers will be no good. You use it like stepping stones once you can compile for 4.1 successfully it will make 4.2's challenges a bit more palatable. Even now the skyrocket is having tons of issues with 4.2 even though we have 4.1. This is an intricate and detailed process and not something you can just slap together real quick. Try syncing a repo and you will learn lol taking 20+ gigs of data and making it all work together will make your head explode. Mine does alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

We don't have 4.2 because it takes a ridiculous amount of time for Verizon to develop, build, and test their updates before they release them.

They can only do that -if- Motorola first releases a 4.2 update to them in the first place, and the following principle applies to both companies: why should they continue to release updates for other phones when the upgraded OS could easily be a selling point for new devices?

There is also something else to consider, as pointed out very rudely by others in this thread, which is that if you want the latest and greatest Android software as it is released, you really should consider a Nexus device.

It seems like the only piece of 4.2 that you want is updated Google Now, which will update itself through the Play Store.

There are a couple of 4.2 ROMs available as well if you are comfortable rooting and hacking your device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    --Chris [cole2kb]

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm just gonna say it one more time and I'm done in this thread..

The idea that "Jellybean 4.1.1" is somehow "already obsolete" is crazy, crazy crazy. Is there something newer available? Yup! Does that make 4.1.1 obsolete? Not even close, considering less than 10% of all phones are running JB.. There are still Gingerbread users who are chugging along happily and running 99% of the apps out there. There isn't an app I know of that runs on JB that won't at least run on ICS. Until that time comes, you're not even close to running an obsolete OS.
    Ry likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

"We don't have 4.2 because it takes a ridiculous amount of time for Verizon to develop, build, and test their updates before they release them."

This is is really the root of why I don't want to wait any longer for 4.1. Verizon is making sure that every way they make extra money off us works properly with 4.1, NOT making sure 4.1 works properly with our phones.

Despite my relatively short time working with android, I do know this is why we 'root' these devices; to regain control of them.

Wizwill

ROM
    Arctic HD

Seriously dude. 4.2 isn't even worth updating to over 4.1. The differences are so minimal that you can't even tell the difference between the two, besides who needs multi user support on a phone?

I can understand the benefits on a tablet like my nexus 7, but even that is still running a 4.1 rom

The other features of 4.2 like the Gmail, camera and whatever else can easily be installed on your rooted phone.

Ry

Global Posts
    8,561 Global Posts

If updates were that important to you, you would have had either the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Root, check. Hotspot, check. I'm good at 4.1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I thought the complaining about the late coming ICS was bad, but this is ridiculous.

Thanked by:
    Topgonzo likes this.

Lol... Threads like this make me laugh.. I agree with everyone's replies to the poster.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

ROM
    Arctic HD

I don't understand why anyone feels they are entitled to anything. The only thing we were guaranteed was an update to ics after the phone came out, nothing more. Anything past that is just a bonus.

Yes, wanting manufacturers and especially the iron fist that is verizon to support their products for the 20 month life of a contract is ludicrous!!!! if the sentiments here are the general consensus, i see now why they feel it is ok to do what they do.

Side load the Jelly Bean update. I did last night and its running great so far.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    Side load the Jelly Bean update. I did last night and its running great so far.

He's not referrinf to not having Jellybean.. he's referring to not having JB 4.2.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast