JB OTA Screwed ringtones...

Callindril

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I got the JB OTA on my Maxx, and have had an annoying thing happen since then, and its been driving me nuts....

I have about 100 contacts, and I assigned a bunch of them special ringtones I have on the external SD card...now, whenever I plug the phone in to charge off my desktop, it loses those ringtone assignments, and everything goes back to default...that ugly default...

I can reassign them, and they will work just great, until I plug it in to charge, and when I unplug it..voila..no assigned ringtones again.... I assume that since I plug the phone into my desktop, the SD card gets 'shut off', but on FY, GB, and ICS, whenever I unplug the phone the SD card comes back and the ringtones 're-associate' with the contacts they are supposed to...not so much on JB...

Should there be enough space on the system partition to safely move these ringtones into the audio/ringtone directory there and let them live there, or is that a problem?

Anyone else seeing this, or have any thoughts as to whats going on, and how to fix it?

Thanks
Cal

InfinityDevil

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Your phone is mounting as USB Storage, not as Charge only. This keeps the Android phone from seeing or accessing anything on the card, including the ring tones.

There is a notification app that pops up when you are connected by USB that lets you change the setting and just charge from your computer.

--
InfinityDevil

Callindril

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
That notification existed on FY and GB, but with ICS and JB, it doesnt give the Charge Only option any longer...

ICS and JB only give Mass Storage, Media Device, and Camera Transfer...all of which dismount the SD card...

But even on GB and FY, when it remounted the card after the USB plug was pulled from the computer, it would link the ringtones on the SD card back to the contacts...JB doesnt seem to do that....

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded my JB and had a similar problem. Whenever I plugged my phone into a computer, my selected ringtone or notification in my SD ext would randomly set to default. I fixed it by first copying my ringtones and notifications in the SD ext into the SD internal (SD int) of my Maxx. Apparently, SD int has a separate folder for ringtones (folder marked "Ringtones") and notification (folder marked "Notification"). When I copied my ringtones/notifications into these files, then reassigned my default ringtone and notification in the phone's Settings, the problem of random assignment went away. I don't have customized ringtones for each individual contact, but I assume it will work there as well. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance