Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Someone please help? I want out of JB and back into ICS 4.0.4

Wow you guys got it tough

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Thanked by:
    carracerz14 likes this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Quote Originally Posted by kprice8 View Post
    I am pretty sure I got them all... What would I need though?
    Well did you install the ones that came with pdanet? I'm not sure why it wouldn't work if you did.

You downloaded both the pc client and the phone client right?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

ROM
    Arctic HD

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Wow you guys got it tough

One and only thing I miss about my nexus is how easy it was, but once you know what you're doing it isn't too bad

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I have only had samsung and htc. The htc was trickier at the start, but not hard. Then s-off came along and it was as easy as the samsung.

The Mad Man

Global Posts
    2,255 Global Posts
    ROM
    Black Widow

If you read the disclaimers, then you must remember the part where it said there is no going back. You are stuck. If you try and go back your phone will be a very expensive paperweight.

And please to all others giving advice, do your research before giving false advice. It only causes more confusion and more bricked phones. This forum is for a specific phone if you do not have this phone currently and are experiencing issues with the OP then please do not post things that can confuse them even more.

There is a reason for disclaimers at the beginning of posts.

Foxfi will not work on jellybean. Not like it did on ICS. It says so in the apps home page.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Just some hobo with a phone
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

hey thanks for summing up the entire thread in one post and being as smug as possible about it...

I didn't read that as smug--just very clear and straightforward.
    Thanked by:
    jeffrok likes this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

I know Braden, he wasn't trying to put anyone down, just trying to get the point across that if someone offers advice that doesn't know how our phones, serious issues could arise.

I'm all for help from whoever it comes from, but sometimes some things are best left to other people who have the same phone that knows what's going on.
    I'm just glad the op didn't actually try to flash the ics files, or he would been out of a phone.

Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine and B. Diddy like this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

I may have been quick to make the jump to JB. But I learned not to be too quick to jump back on ICS and get screwed. Thank you to all who gave advice. *sigh* I wish I had done research more thoroughly before I did jump. Darn it all.
    Rule 2 of Z-land, Double tap. Don't get stingy with your bullets. It could save your life.
    Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

well sooner or later they will get root and you can go that route to get tether.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Yes, either way someone will either find root, or the actual OTA will be released that will probably be rooted in a couple days.

The reason leaks don't really get rooted is because they are just that, leaks. Devs aren't going to waste their time figuring stuff out when but they time they do another update will be out.

Have you tried subscribing to MHs through Verizon? I know it costs $30 additional a month, but if you really must have MHs, then it is an option.

On a side note with all of this, if(when) the official JB update starts to roll out, will I be able to receive the OTA, or will I have to sideload it manually?

Here's my phone's situation:
    Leaked JB (sideloaded), stock recovery, rooted (backed up in ICS before the update).

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

ROM
    Arctic HD

Usually flashing a leak takes you off the ota path, but that doesn't matter so much since you can always flash it manually

I forgot about the locked bootloader. While it may be possible to go back, the other poster is right. It very well could brick and isn't worth it.

You would be safer either figuring out foxfi or rooting and using Wifi tether

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    We're not all as lucky as you s3 owners lol

But yeah, the bootloader and kernel are different than what is on ics, so it wouldn't end well at all

Yeah way more involved and complicated.

It was even twice as hard as my htc and that was a pain before soff

This is slightly off topic, but I'll bring it up because the reason I do it is avoid the same situation the OP finds himself in...

Unless there was absolutely no choice in the matter, I never buy a phone unless I know I can unlock the bootloader. When the S3 came out, I was definitely interested in it, but the bootloader was locked on the Verizon model, so I waited. Soon after, they announced there would be a dev model you could buy, which was fine with me because I pay full retail anyway...but page just kept saying "coming soon", so I waited. Then one fine day I stroll over to XDA and see the bootloader had been unlocked and I ordered by device that day. If a better phone had come along while I was waiting, I would have bought it, but only if I knew I could unlock the bootloader. I've become too accustomed to being able to control my device as I see fit and harness the full power of it as I need (plus have the ability to revert backwards when I screw stuff up) to ever go back now.

Again, sorry to throw that out there since it doesn't really help the OP or most folks here on this forum...but hopefully it can be something to consider the next time you're shopping for a new device, since it's one thing you generally won't see in product reviews.

ROM
    Arctic HD

I know what you mean. I had the Galaxy Nexus which was sweet as hell to fool around with, but when it came down to it it sucked as a phone and had to have something that actually functioned, so when verizon offered me a razr maxx I couldn't pass it up, I knew what I was getting into, but also I knew I could still do ALMOST everything I could with my nexus.

Droid x was my first smart phone and it too had a locked boot loader, but that didn't stop me from roming either.

Only real benefit of unlocked bootloaders is being able to flash kernels, baseband, and bootloaders separate of each others, along with the ease of going back and forth between stock and custom.

bradenfontaine likes this.

The leaked ota zip should still keep us all on the next update......if you are rooted on job make sure you protect root if/when the next or should I say official update comes out. VZW knows some peeps got this OTA legit so they have to keep us on the path....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

That has Never proven true in my experience. Not one leak that I was on with any of the five phones I had took me to the official ota.

In all cases I had to flash back, which isn't an option or flash the ota which got me back on track

Thanked by:
    carracerz14 likes this.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Yeah, never seen a leak that didn't throw you off the path.

But it will be just as easy to manually flash the ota when it comes out, if it's any different.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That has Never proven true in my experience. Not one leak that I was on with any of the five phones I had took me to the official ota.

In all cases I had to flash back, which isn't an option or flash the ota which got me back on track

This time VXW screwed up and they know it......the leaked peeps will get it too...

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Have you tried subscribing to MHs through Verizon? I know it costs $30 additional a month, but if you really must have MHs, then it is an option.
    This. I mean you lose all the hassle not to mention that fact I think Verizon can kick you off for tethering when you dont pay. It wouldnt be a big deal but if you get kicked off your grandfathered unlimited plan, you're screwed. TBH I dont know if Verizon will kick you off for that, but I heard stories that AT&T would and they are just as bad as Verizon.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by dvddave View Post
    This time VXW screwed up and they know it......the leaked peeps will get it too...

If I were a betting man, I would take that bet. When has vzw ever done the right thing?

As far as hot spotting, in theory they can kick you. I still have not hear it happen.

Personally I have used up to 20gb a moth without hearing from them, I doubt they care much if you are on unlimited

ROM
    Arctic HD

Quote Originally Posted by dvddave View Post

Verizon doesn't control who it goes to. If the phone on a unofficial release then they will not get a ota notification, it's just like being on a custom rom.

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    Verizon doesn't control who it goes to. If the phone on a unofficial release then they will not get a ota notification, it's just like being on a custom rom.

Are you saying the couple thousand(?) people that got it won't get an ota update notification for the real one when released? That makes no sense.

ROM
    Gingerbread

This "leak" was an OTA release and official but released early. Once the release was realized it was premature, it was pulled. If the file they are spreading around is in deed the same file you get from the OTA that night then you will receive the next OTA. Simple as that. This should not be called a leak technically at all. It wasn't leaked. It was released, then pulled.

bradenfontaine and jeffrok like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast