Someone please help? I want out of JB and back into ICS 4.0.4

kprice8

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently updated to Android Version 4.1.2 . I have the Razr MAXX, and wish I had not upgraded from ICS.. I have been unable to use my phone for WiFi tether since. I was using FoxFi and have grandfathered unlimited data from Verizon. Can ANYONE help me get back to what I had? I miss it so.

Thanks

Kevin

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
We're you rooted? I think if you update, you lose root. If so then you'll need to root again and it should work then. If not then hopefully someone else can maybe put some more input in to help you

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

kprice8

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I was not rooted. I like my warranties and insurance coverage.. Being in a building industry, it's a must have for the phone.. Besides, I heard they check for rooting when you try and go back to get a replacement or some crap like that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was the update pushed to your phone when Verizon mistakenly released it, or did you sideload it yourself? If the former, supposedly Verizon will give you a replacement phone with ICS. If the latter, I imagine Verizon will tell you that you're on your own.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Can't go back, and I think it's crap that verizon will give replacements when there is nothing wrong with the update.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that you think it's not true that Verizon will replace phones, or that it sucks that Verizon will replace phones? I don't have direct experience with this, but it would make sense for Verizon to offer some kind of fix or replacement for erroneously releasing a premature update to a number of people, especially if it's causing any problems. It's fortunate that you're not experiencing problems with the update, but others have described various problems.

kprice8

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I did a manual update. I figured it should be like a computer OS. If you don't like it you could always reinstall the old OS. What sucks is I can't even find a .zip of the RAZR maxx ICS ROM.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
First off they don't check for root really. They say that they do, but in reality they don't care.

The next thing is that it isn't jb per Se, foxfi changed things up a bit. You need to go the website and begin the research from there.

If you really want to go back to ics, I will find the files for you. Won't matter much though, eventually the update will be forced on you unless you root.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

kprice8

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
That would be awesome bud. Thank you. I really need ICS to function when I'm on the road.
As for FoxFi are you saying something other than the PDAnet switch?

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
No no no no no! You CANNOT go back, you will brick your phone.

There's a reason there was a warning on every thread that told you how to install it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes do a search on foxfi here on the forum and you will find tons of threads on it. Foxfi changed with jb. They went to a pay model that cuts off after a few minutes unless you buy it, plus a few other things. I don't recall all of it because with root I don't need it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I forgot about the locked bootloader. While it may be possible to go back, the other poster is right. It very well could brick and isn't worth it.

You would be safer either figuring out foxfi or rooting and using Wifi tether

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
We're not all as lucky as you s3 owners :D lol

But yeah, the bootloader and kernel are different than what is on ics, so it wouldn't end well at all :(

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah way more involved and complicated.

It was even twice as hard as my htc and that was a pain before soff

dvddave

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
PDANET.....download it via torrent and it will be free....you will have to usb tether but it is a good app and works JB...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Pda net is free. Can't really pirate a free program. Not sure why he suggested a torrent though when you can direct download from the website...

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well. You cant root either. There is no known exploit for the leak yet. That's why it was important to root when you were on ics and then back it up.

Though I may add, root isn't as scary as some people make it seem. All it is is having the admin rights basically. And technically by law the manufacture can not void your warranty unless they can prove that the reason you would exchange your phone was directly caused by rooting. So say for example your power button stops functioning, they can't deny you because there's no way that would be related to root because it is a hardware defect.

Not that any of that matters now, lol

kprice8

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
It's not a leaked copy of JB from my understanding... Someone took and copied the .zip file of the rom online and made it available for manual upgrade... I could be wrong though.. I am new to this whole thing..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2