Someone please help? I want out of JB and back into ICS 4.0.4

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I know what you mean. I had the Galaxy Nexus which was sweet as hell to fool around with, but when it came down to it it sucked as a phone and had to have something that actually functioned, so when verizon offered me a razr maxx I couldn't pass it up, I knew what I was getting into, but also I knew I could still do ALMOST everything I could with my nexus.

Droid x was my first smart phone and it too had a locked boot loader, but that didn't stop me from roming either.

Only real benefit of unlocked bootloaders is being able to flash kernels, baseband, and bootloaders separate of each others, along with the ease of going back and forth between stock and custom.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

dvddave

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The leaked ota zip should still keep us all on the next update......if you are rooted on job make sure you protect root if/when the next or should I say official update comes out. VZW knows some peeps got this OTA legit so they have to keep us on the path....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That has Never proven true in my experience. Not one leak that I was on with any of the five phones I had took me to the official ota.

In all cases I had to flash back, which isn't an option or flash the ota which got me back on track

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, never seen a leak that didn't throw you off the path.

But it will be just as easy to manually flash the ota when it comes out, if it's any different.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dvddave

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
That has Never proven true in my experience. Not one leak that I was on with any of the five phones I had took me to the official ota.

In all cases I had to flash back, which isn't an option or flash the ota which got me back on track

This time VXW screwed up and they know it......the leaked peeps will get it too...

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried subscribing to MHs through Verizon? I know it costs $30 additional a month, but if you really must have MHs, then it is an option.
This. I mean you lose all the hassle not to mention that fact I think Verizon can kick you off for tethering when you dont pay. It wouldnt be a big deal but if you get kicked off your grandfathered unlimited plan, you're screwed. TBH I dont know if Verizon will kick you off for that, but I heard stories that AT&T would and they are just as bad as Verizon.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This time VXW screwed up and they know it......the leaked peeps will get it too...

If I were a betting man, I would take that bet. When has vzw ever done the right thing?

As far as hot spotting, in theory they can kick you. I still have not hear it happen.

Personally I have used up to 20gb a moth without hearing from them, I doubt they care much if you are on unlimited

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Verizon doesn't control who it goes to. If the phone on a unofficial release then they will not get a ota notification, it's just like being on a custom rom.

bamabun

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Verizon doesn't control who it goes to. If the phone on a unofficial release then they will not get a ota notification, it's just like being on a custom rom.

Are you saying the couple thousand(?) people that got it won't get an ota update notification for the real one when released? That makes no sense.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This "leak" was an OTA release and official but released early. Once the release was realized it was premature, it was pulled. If the file they are spreading around is in deed the same file you get from the OTA that night then you will receive the next OTA. Simple as that. This should not be called a leak technically at all. It wasn't leaked. It was released, then pulled.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
This "leak" was an OTA release and official but released early. Once the release was realized it was premature, it was pulled. If the file they are spreading around is in deed the same file you get from the OTA that night then you will receive the next OTA. Simple as that. This should not be called a leak technically at all. It wasn't leaked. It was released, then pulled.

Please do show me where anyone said it was "official"

The last time I checked when something is released before it is supposed to be, it's a leak. Because it was LEAKED out when it wasn't supposed to be.

Fact of the matter is no one will know if you will be able to get the ota, but I have a feeling this is gonna cause a huge headache for everyone who tries to explain how to flash the update manually........

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing all that.

Just want to add that every leak at one point or another is a potential ota.

If it was the ota, then why not officially release it since the cat is out of the bag?

I suspect the. Version number will change before the actual release causing you to have to flash the upgrade.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
What if this was just supposed to be released to a few say developers or testers? But instead went to everyone by accident. No one knows.

All that matters is you are not on an official rom, so you more than likely not be able to update via ota.

But it's okay, because it's really easy to flash it, and you won't have to wait for the ota to get pushed to your phone like you normally would, which could take weeks after it got released.

I have always done all my updates by myself, and I have never had any bugs that anyone else had with any update, maybe there's a reason for that?

kprice8

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow.. That was a novel and a half reading all that I had missed for the hours I was gone. LOL

Well, I am just biding my time I guess. Boss told me for work, I am probably going to be working at Notre Dame for a month, so that means WiFi so I should be good there.. But it's just going to suck having the restrictions!

Ugh. Root? Anyone have it yet? >.<

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't think we will see a root method until the official ota comes out, because devs aren't going to waste their time on an unofficial release when by the time they figure it out the official one could be out.

oyeyemi808

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
If the OTA was pulled. and people manually put it on their phone anyway it's their own fault.Dec 24 my phone started downloading the jb update, then stopped. phone hasn't been right since.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It was official because it was sent OTA. Just because it was pulled for whatever reason it still came via a legit official channel. If you load the JB update via side loading but it is the original downloaded update it is still the official release. It isn't some ROM created from an actual leak. If you were not rooted and got the official update through OTA or side loading the original zip, you should have no issues updating when it is re-released.

As far as I'm aware VZW is unable to tell if the update was applied by OTA or side loading because they are supposedly the original file.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Just because it came from ota doesn't mean it was intended to be the official release. I don't understand what is so had to get about that.