Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lapdock 100 still $49 at DailySteals--worth it?

I keep looking at the refurbished Lapdock 100 for $49 over at DailySteals.com, and wonder if it's worth it. Ia there anyone out there who can tell me if the Lapdock is worthwhile? How well does it function with Webtop 3.0? And is it a foregone conclusion that Webtop will be completely removed from the Razr and Razr Maxx when (or if) the official Jellybean update comes?

ROM
    Arctic HD

Default Re: Lapdock 100 still $49 at DailySteals--worth it?

Yes motorola said it themselves that the lap dock would be discontinued, which means no more webtop past 3.0

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Oh, I know that they're no longer going to update Webtop. I was just wondering if they're completely erasing it from Razrs with the official JB update, whenever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Oh, I know that they're no longer going to update Webtop. I was just wondering if they're completely erasing it from Razrs with the official JB update, whenever that may be.
    My understanding is that it works with jb. I suspect that the razr maxx will always support it, but new phones won't. I love my lapdock, it works great for what it is. But if you are looking for a laptop replacement, you may be disappointed. If you just want to browse the web, read emails, Netflix, and stuff like that, then it works fine.

Webtop 3.0 i believe is the same on ics, right? I did not get the jb update.

Not sure which one they have, the lapdock 100 is a direct fit for the razr maxx, the atrix lapdock requires either cable adapters or you can modify the lapdock itself. The atrix lapdock is nicer and has a larger screen than the lapdock 100.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I bought one and when I recieved it, the box was opened and no where on the box did it indicate that it was refurbished. It was dead and would not charge. I feel it was a return that was bad and just got sent back out to me. I emailed DailySteals and they appologized and said if I returned it they would send me another if I wished, as long as they didn't run out of them. If that happened they would refund my money. So hopefully my experience wasn't typical but I thought I would share it so anyone thinking about ordering one would know. I mailed mine back yesterday so hopefully they will be able to send me another.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Maverick

I support lapdocks for my organization and can tell you that few, if any, liked the lapdock 100. Part of it was the aforementioned, misguided thought that because it looks like a laptop it is a laptop, but there are issues with the lapdocks themselves, most notably the power. I have probably had between 5-10% of them wind up not being able to charge. There is also a less frequent issue of the power adapter breaking off of the circuit board, but that's easily resolved with some simple soldering. I'm not sure if it's weak soldering on Motorola's behalf or customers jamming the hell out of the power. The screen is rather small at about 10", but is still doable. The biggest headache for me has been how small the keyboard is. Yes, you need a small keyboard in order to keep the whole thing small, but I have big hands. Also, many have complained about the touchpad; mostly, it's just that they have poor laptop typing form and slightly touch it, causing the cursor to jump around. We have since switched over to the lapdock 500 and I really like them much more. With the 500 you have a full-size keyboard, 14 or 15" monitor, SD card slot, ethernet port, and VGA output. It is a little more pricey however. Also, as said by another poster, Motorola has discontinued these a while ago. My organization is looking at the ClamBook, which also works with iPhones
    Thanked by:

At full price, your argument is fine. But find me a better lapdock type device sold at $50...

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3
    Ry likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well, it finally sold out on DailySteals.com, so that answered the question for me! Thanks for all of your responses.

I agree w a lot of what you said about the 100. I use mine daily and it's far from perfect but I love the concept. Texting, surfing, listening to music and taking calls on it makes very productive. Ubuntu for Android will kick some serious ***. Clam book may as well be a unicorn. It was suppose to be out by now.

I just looked and it still shows they have them in stock. I hope that's correct as I was wanting a replacement for the one I returned. For $50 I would love to have one.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Hmm, interesting. They must have gotten more stock in, because it was definitely sold out earlier.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,199 Global Posts

At $50, it's almost an impulse buy for owners of phones with Webtop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I just got mine today. It's the original Lapdock, (not the 100 or 500), and from what I understand, these are the ones that are going for $50. The 100 is around $150-ish, and the 500 is $300 or thereabouts.

Was told the Bionic version would not work with the Atrix 2, even though the port connectors are the same. (The Atrix 4g version won't work with anything but, unless you want to take it apart and flip the connectors around.) However, the Atrix 2 WILL WORK with the Verizon Droid Bionic lapdock. I'm using that setup right now. From what I understand the 100 and the 500 work with a lot more models. However, if you want to spend another $20, you can get adapter cables and Borg it out- should work fine, then.

I upgraded my Atrix 2 to ics, and have Webtop 3.0. It is almost identical to the interface I have on a cheap Polaroid tablet running ics. Read that it's supposed to use Firefox, but it seems to me to be just the regular Android browser. Probably Changed to that in the 3.0 version.

It's a neat toy for $50. Ebay is loaded with all 3 models, but, like I said, it's probably the original one if it can be had for $50 unused or refurb (unless it specifically says it's a 100 or 500 and it'll work with the MAXX, or if you get the adapter cables.). It'll be useless as - is for anything but the Droid Bionic, Atrix 2, or Atrix 4g. Even if you have one of these phones - you'll be sick of it in about a minute if you have, or are planning to get, an Android tablet.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

To be clear, are you saying that you got your Lapdock from DailySteals.com or from somewhere else? Because DailySteals is specifically advertising the Lapdock 100, so if you got something other than that model from them, then they're not being accurate in their ad.

No, I got mine from ebay.

However, I have seen first-gen Lapdocks advertised as 100's. The way to tell is the first gen are flat, barely thicker than a CD case, have a flip-up docking cradle, and have a notch below the trackpad. The 100's are angular and have no notch in the body below the pad, have a slot where the phone sits, and use a cable to connect to the phone. The 500s look kind of like the first gen, but thicker and also use a cable. Also, they have a video out, I hear tell.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and the first-gen are black. The 100's and 500's are silver with black keyboards.
    Last edited by Todd Wall; 01-17-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Wall View Post
    I just got mine today. It's the original Lapdock, (not the 100 or 500), and from what I understand, these are the ones that are going for $50. The 100 is around $150-ish, and the 500 is $300 or thereabouts.

Was told the Bionic version would not work with the Atrix 2, even though the port connectors are the same. (The Atrix 4g version won't work with anything but, unless you want to take it apart and flip the connectors around.) However, the Atrix 2 WILL WORK with the Verizon Droid Bionic lapdock. I'm using that setup right now. From what I understand the 100 and the 500 work with a lot more models. However, if you want to spend another $20, you can get adapter cables and Borg it out- should work fine, then.

I upgraded my Atrix 2 to ics, and have Webtop 3.0. It is almost identical to the interface I have on a cheap Polaroid tablet running ics. Read that it's supposed to use Firefox, but it seems to me to be just the regular Android browser. Probably Changed to that in the 3.0 version.

It's a neat toy for $50. Ebay is loaded with all 3 models, but, like I said, it's probably the original one if it can be had for $50 unused or refurb (unless it specifically says it's a 100 or 500 and it'll work with the MAXX, or if you get the adapter cables.). It'll be useless as - is for anything but the Droid Bionic, Atrix 2, or Atrix 4g. Even if you have one of these phones - you'll be sick of it in about a minute if you have, or are planning to get, an Android tablet.
    I picked up a lapdock 100 months ago at a corporate Verizon store for $50.

Ry

Global Posts
    7,199 Global Posts

No, I got mine from ebay.

However, I have seen first-gen Lapdocks advertised as 100's. The way to tell is the first gen are flat, barely thicker than a CD case, have a flip-up docking cradle, and have a notch below the trackpad. The 100's are angular and have no notch in the body below the pad, have a slot where the phone sits, and use a cable to connect to the phone. The 500s look kind of like the first gen, but thicker and also use a cable. Also, they have a video out, I hear tell.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and the first-gen are black. The 100's and 500's are silver with black keyboards.
    I don't think I've ever seen the older, model-specific Lapdocks advertised as Lapdock 100 models.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

The one I got from Daily Steals and then sent back for a replacement was definitely a Lapdock 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen the older, model-specific Lapdocks advertised as Lapdock 100 models.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    They are plentiful on ebay.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,199 Global Posts

They are plentiful on ebay.
    oh.

That just sounds like a case of people not know what they have.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    oh.

That just sounds like a case of people not know what they have.
    Exactly. But,it can be misleading and troublesome if you don't know the difference, like me. I almost bought an Atrix 4g lapdock (which won't work with the Atrix 2 without modding it), thinking I was getting a screaming deal on a 100. Like you said- because the seller assumed the 100 WAS the original.

Exactly. But,it can be misleading and troublesome if you don't know the difference, like me. I almost bought an Atrix 4g lapdock (which won't work with the Atrix 2 without modding it), thinking I was getting a screaming deal on a 100. Like you said- because the seller assumed the 100 WAS the original.
    The atrix 4g dock is perhaps the most popular model out there. And nicer and larger than the lap dock 100. If you have a razr or atrix 2, you can use it without modification as well with adapter cables.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The atrix 4g dock is perhaps the most popular model out there. And nicer and larger than the lap dock 100. If you have a razr or atrix 2, you can use it without modification as well with adapter cables.
    The necessary mod is so easy that I'd suggest giving it a shot instead of buying the adapter. Also, I agree with the notion that the Atrix 4G lapdock is nicer than the 100. The build quality just seems to be much better and I've had less returned to me as not working than the 100s. The Atrix 4G lapdock has the option of turning off the touchpad as well (though ICS gives you this option in the settings if you plug a mouse in)

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherFromAnotherMother View Post
    The necessary mod is so easy that I'd suggest giving it a shot instead of buying the adapter. Also, I agree with the notion that the Atrix 4G lapdock is nicer than the 100. The build quality just seems to be much better and I've had less returned to me as not working than the 100s. The Atrix 4G lapdock has the option of turning off the touchpad as well (though ICS gives you this option in the settings if you plug a mouse in)
    I agree, the mod is not that difficult. But some people are afraid to do any mods at all. The lapdock 100 holds the phone horizontally and can fit with case (at least the verizon one with kickstand). The atrix lapdock, when modified, holds the phone vertically and i wasn't able to get it to work with case. Using the atrix lapdock, when sitting in one place, it was fine, but when moving around, sometimes, it would disconnect.