Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Question Is the Droid Razr MAXX locked?

after reading about the Library of Congress' ruling on unlocking phones (Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday | TechNewsDaily.com), I am curious about unlocking the razr maxx. I thought I remember seeing something about the razr maxx with the ICS being unlocked? Just curious, because the window for being able to legally unlock a phone is closing soon (26th). Thanks,

Scott

ROM
    Arctic HD

Default Re: Is the Droid Razr MAXX locked?

Nope

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

after reading in several other discussion forums - it looks like since the ICS upgrade, the sim card (ie GSM) is unlocked for global use. I haven't found anything definitive on whether the phone can be used on any other (GSM) domestic carriers with the right frequency bands

ROM
    Arctic HD

Nope. Not unless you will get verizon to give you the unlock codes, which won't happen.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    Nope. Not unless you will get verizon to give you the unlock codes, which won't happen.

ive always been able to get the unlock codes by saying i'm travelling to the UK and want to use an O2 or Vodafone pay as you go SIM in it.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Well you don't need unlock codes to travel to the UK with a world phone just need a prepaid sim from there.

But you're not gonna get them to let you use a domestic carrier other than Verizon, it just won't happen.

Doesn't matter anyway, cause I'm pretty sure the razr won't work on domestic gsm frequencies anyway

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by x1sspic View Post
    after reading about the Library of Congress' ruling on unlocking phones (Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday | TechNewsDaily.com), I am curious about unlocking the razr maxx. I thought I remember seeing something about the razr maxx with the ICS being unlocked? Just curious, because the window for being able to legally unlock a phone is closing soon (26th). Thanks,

Scott
    Right now I'm visiting in Israel with my Verizon Razr Maxx on Jelly Bean. I am using a local SIM (GSM/UMTS) for voice and data, and it works perfectly.
    Thanked by:

Did you have to contact Verizon first to get them to enable the global ability? Or did you just go to Israel and pop in a SIM card? I'm traveling soon and want to purchase a local SIM card. Verizon's prices are a HUGE ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by stevealb View Post
    Right now I'm visiting in Israel with my Verizon Razr Maxx on Jelly Bean. I am using a local SIM (GSM/UMTS) for voice and data, and it works perfectly.
    Sorry, I meant to quote your post...

Did you have to contact Verizon first to get them to enable the global ability? Or did you just go to Israel and pop in a SIM card? I'm traveling soon and want to purchase a local SIM card. Verizon's prices are a HUGE ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by stevealb View Post
    Could you share please what provider was local SIM from? I've just got negative experience with cellcom. My razr naxx said "sim from unknown source", allowed me to make and receive calls, but could'n get any GSM/UMTS data connection... System s/w is up-to-date (4.1.2).