Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 73 of 73
Like Tree29Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Can you imagine the uproar if only iPhone 5's got iOS 6, but only customers on Verizon, while AT&T iPhones were still waiting to go to iOS 4. It would never fly so why do Android users have to put up with it?

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    Can you imagine the uproar if only iPhone 5's got iOS 6, but only customers on Verizon, while AT&T iPhones were still waiting to go to iOS 4. It would never fly so why do Android users have to put up with it?

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    You hit the nail on the head!!! I've never though about it that way. Someone should ask that at Next big Android conference.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR
    gnr_2 likes this.
  3. #53  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    The same update may go out to every iPhone at the same time, but a big reason is that iOS is so locked down by Apple. If Google built a huge wall around the Android garden, I'm sure all phones with capable hardware would get updates at the same time. But then we Android users would lose a lot of the flexibility we enjoy. It's a give and take. Personally, I prefer the flexibility and openness over getting the next update as soon as possible. As long as my device is working well now, I can wait for the next update.
    bradenfontaine and TitoRoE like this.
  4. #54  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The same update may go out to every iPhone at the same time, but a big reason is that iOS is so locked down by Apple. If Google built a huge wall around the Android garden, I'm sure all phones with capable hardware would get updates at the same time. But then we Android users would lose a lot of the flexibility we enjoy. It's a give and take. Personally, I prefer the flexibility and openness over getting the next update as soon as possible. As long as my device is working well now, I can wait for the next update.
    The point being a large amount of Android phones are not working well. Are the majority of all android phones running JB or ICS?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR
  5. #55  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Sorry, the post I was referring to was making the point that iPhones all get the same update at the same time, while Android phones don't. So my point was that it's a choice between walled garden or openness and flexibility.

    Just curious, how have you determined that a large amount of Android phones are not working well? You are correct in pointing out that JB and ICS are still not a majority, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Gingerbread phones aren't working well.
    Thanked by:
  6. #56  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Sorry, the post I was referring to was making the point that iPhones all get the same update at the same time, while Android phones don't. So my point was that it's a choice between walled garden or openness and flexibility.

    Just curious, how have you determined that a large amount of Android phones are not working well? You are correct in pointing out that JB and ICS are still not a majority, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Gingerbread phones aren't working well.
    From reading a lot of posts on several Android forums , it seems to me that a large amount are having some issue or another with their phone. I've said enough and will wait for the JB to be released, then wait for bug fix. Then new phone.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR
  7. #57  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    I know what you're saying, but just remember that people with problems will be more likely to post on forums, and you won't hear from most of the people who aren't having any problems.. I would venture to say that you'll see a lot of complaints on iOS forums as well, because that's where people go to discuss issues.
    Thanked by:
    bradenfontaine and TitoRoE like this.
  8. #58  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    You may be correct, but would argue that the Android owners not on forums may not know their phone aren't performing as it should.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR
  9. #59  
    MrHost's Avatar

    Posts
    395 Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    I would like to note that because each manufacturer customizes Android it is in affect not running true Android and does not mean it will run on it. If all Android phones ran pure Android and added their UIs as additions we would be much closer. The truth is, they aren't, and they will not run plain Android without mods. Exceptions are in the minority.

    As it had been mentioned numerous times. IDevices are locked in and require additional testing. IDevices are cookie cutter phones. Identical!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    bradenfontaine likes this.
  10. #60  
    carracerz14's Avatar

    Posts
    1,390 Posts
    ROM
    Arctic HD

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by oyeyemi808 View Post
    From reading a lot of posts on several Android forums , it seems to me that a large amount are having some issue or another with their phone. I've said enough and will wait for the JB to be released, then wait for bug fix. Then new phone.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Go ahead and read some apple forums you will find some of the same things. Remember the majority of people will only come to the forums to complain.

    Go ahead and do the math between the amount of people who post negative things about their Android phone and the number of android phones sold. All I can guarantee is that the number of android phones sold is greater than iPhones.

    Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    babygirl0419 likes this.
  11. #61  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by jeverts View Post
    I haven't come across one single glitch in my accidentally released/side loaded ICS

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Same here. I flashed (loaded) mine from the SD card and it works fine. I do get an error message that some Verizon function force closes bug other than that it works flawlessly.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  12. #62  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by MrHost View Post
    If all Android phones ran pure Android and added their UIs as additions we would be much closer. The truth is, they aren't, and they will not run plain Android without mods. Exceptions are in the minority.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    But is that not an option that manufacturers choose not to take? Is it something that can be changed as new phones come online? I think with the popularity of iPhones, people want a more streamlined approach to updates so they feel they have the newest and latest. Obviously, just like with computers, once you hit a certain age, you can't update, you have to get a new computer - but, if Android is more like a Windows PC operating system, where manufacturers add their own software bundles to control anything from internet connections to protection from dropping your laptop, but you can still get your Windows updates, why can't that work for Android phones? This might not be as straight an analogy because Windows is pushing security updates mostly, but phones don't even get bug fixes in a timely manner.

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
  13. #63  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    +1

    Sent from my DROID RAZR
  14. #64  
    jeffrok's Avatar

    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    But is that not an option that manufacturers choose not to take? Is it something that can be changed as new phones come online? I think with the popularity of iPhones, people want a more streamlined approach to updates so they feel they have the newest and latest. Obviously, just like with computers, once you hit a certain age, you can't update, you have to get a new computer - but, if Android is more like a Windows PC operating system, where manufacturers add their own software bundles to control anything from internet connections to protection from dropping your laptop, but you can still get your Windows updates, why can't that work for Android phones? This might not be as straight an analogy because Windows is pushing security updates mostly, but phones don't even get bug fixes in a timely manner.

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    This is tricky, because the reason Android is so successful today is because Google gave OEMs the freedom to "skin" the OS to be unique to their brand.. If you took that away from every OEM, what would stop them from dropping Android and making their own competing OS?
  15. #65  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
    This is tricky, because the reason Android is so successful today is because Google gave OEMs the freedom to "skin" the OS to be unique to their brand.. If you took that away from every OEM, what would stop them from dropping Android and making their own competing OS?
    Well, I'm sure they can discuss the subject over coffee with BlackBerry, Palm, and even Microsoft. It's all in the apps. At the end of the day, OEMs want to sell phones. (At least I assume - I don't actually know what OEM stands for). So if they can sell Android phones with their own touches that doesn't override the ability for the system to update, why wouldn't they? I don't know how the technology works, but I don't see why Samsung having its own keyboard, messaging program, or screen background should interfere with the phone being able to go from 4.1.1 to 4.2 at the same time as a phone with a Motorola keyboard and message program.

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
  16. #66  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Double posted.
  17. #67  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    - I don't actually know what OEM stands for.

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    For future reference, Original Equipment Manufacturer
    Regards,

    Jim D.
    Thanked by 2:
  18. #68  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by jimd1050 View Post
    For future reference, Original Equipment Manufacturer
    Thanks. I just found the Android dictionary on the Android Central website. Now I can also find out what AOSP (?) is.

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    TitoRoE likes this.
  19. #69  
    jeffrok's Avatar

    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Android Open Source Project, I do believe.
    Thanked by:
    gnr_2 
  20. #70  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    Usually with ota updates you can only update from the latest official version
    Quote Originally Posted by pete_lockwood View Post
    For crying out loud. Vzw sent the update over the air. It's official whether they're happy about it or not. Do you seriously believe they can just say "well sure we sent it out but we didn't really want to so sorry but there's no update path for you"? This is not the same as someone walking out of the software division with a CD or USB key with a nightly build.
    So just checking.. What were you banging on about?
  21. #71  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    Just was forced into the update a few days ago. I have a Droid Razr we purchased in Dec 2011 and I am on Verizon.
    After the update my reception is significantly less, Verizon admitted it was due to the update -
    Verizon and Motorola would not give me the information to revert by phone to the last update and Google is the source of the problem in the first place.
    How can I get my phone back to the same condition it was 2 weeks ago. This "update" uploads all your keystrokes to the Google server for their use and I never agreed to it, nor would I. I am not techno savy anymore, left that back with my 286 and shoebox sized 70 megabyte hard drives.
  22. #72  

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    I have the Razr Maxx, bought on Amazon.es and running on O2 Ireland. No jellybean update so far and O2 Ireland tell me that, as it isn't one of their approved phones, I won't be getting jellybean.
    Is my only option to get jellybean now to root the phone?
    The phone did a minor update when I first bought it a few weeks ago.

    Running 4.0.4
    System Version: 672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU

    Thanks.
  23. #73  
    MrHost's Avatar

    Posts
    395 Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread

    Default Re: 4.1.2 REAL update

    What brand of RAZR MAXX is it?

    Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Is this update for real???
    By lakersfreak in forum HTC Vivid
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM
  2. Latitude Real-time updates
    By JCHoefer in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
  3. update: now it's gettin real (old)
    By bookemdanno333 in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 09:57 PM
  4. Want the real MR2 update now?
    By bjboucher in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 07:18 AM
  5. Google Maps Real-Time Updating
    By wabyrd in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 03:39 AM

Posting Permissions

B