4.1.2 REAL update

RazrMaxx1345

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't come across one single glitch in my accidentally released/side loaded ICS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Same here. I flashed (loaded) mine from the SD card and it works fine. I do get an error message that some Verizon function force closes bug other than that it works flawlessly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If all Android phones ran pure Android and added their UIs as additions we would be much closer. The truth is, they aren't, and they will not run plain Android without mods. Exceptions are in the minority.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
But is that not an option that manufacturers choose not to take? Is it something that can be changed as new phones come online? I think with the popularity of iPhones, people want a more streamlined approach to updates so they feel they have the newest and latest. Obviously, just like with computers, once you hit a certain age, you can't update, you have to get a new computer - but, if Android is more like a Windows PC operating system, where manufacturers add their own software bundles to control anything from internet connections to protection from dropping your laptop, but you can still get your Windows updates, why can't that work for Android phones? This might not be as straight an analogy because Windows is pushing security updates mostly, but phones don't even get bug fixes in a timely manner.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
But is that not an option that manufacturers choose not to take? Is it something that can be changed as new phones come online? I think with the popularity of iPhones, people want a more streamlined approach to updates so they feel they have the newest and latest. Obviously, just like with computers, once you hit a certain age, you can't update, you have to get a new computer - but, if Android is more like a Windows PC operating system, where manufacturers add their own software bundles to control anything from internet connections to protection from dropping your laptop, but you can still get your Windows updates, why can't that work for Android phones? This might not be as straight an analogy because Windows is pushing security updates mostly, but phones don't even get bug fixes in a timely manner.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

This is tricky, because the reason Android is so successful today is because Google gave OEMs the freedom to "skin" the OS to be unique to their brand.. If you took that away from every OEM, what would stop them from dropping Android and making their own competing OS?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
This is tricky, because the reason Android is so successful today is because Google gave OEMs the freedom to "skin" the OS to be unique to their brand.. If you took that away from every OEM, what would stop them from dropping Android and making their own competing OS?
Well, I'm sure they can discuss the subject over coffee with BlackBerry, Palm, and even Microsoft. :p It's all in the apps. At the end of the day, OEMs want to sell phones. (At least I assume - I don't actually know what OEM stands for). So if they can sell Android phones with their own touches that doesn't override the ability for the system to update, why wouldn't they? I don't know how the technology works, but I don't see why Samsung having its own keyboard, messaging program, or screen background should interfere with the phone being able to go from 4.1.1 to 4.2 at the same time as a phone with a Motorola keyboard and message program.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
For future reference, Original Equipment Manufacturer

Thanks. I just found the Android dictionary on the Android Central website. Now I can also find out what AOSP (?) is.

pete_lockwood

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Usually with ota updates you can only update from the latest official version

For crying out loud. Vzw sent the update over the air. It's official whether they're happy about it or not. Do you seriously believe they can just say "well sure we sent it out but we didn't really want to so sorry but there's no update path for you"? This is not the same as someone walking out of the software division with a CD or USB key with a nightly build.

So just checking.. What were you banging on about?

trout_valium

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Just was forced into the update a few days ago. I have a Droid Razr we purchased in Dec 2011 and I am on Verizon.
After the update my reception is significantly less, Verizon admitted it was due to the update -
Verizon and Motorola would not give me the information to revert by phone to the last update and Google is the source of the problem in the first place.
How can I get my phone back to the same condition it was 2 weeks ago. This "update" uploads all your keystrokes to the Google server for their use and I never agreed to it, nor would I. I am not techno savy anymore, left that back with my 286 and shoebox sized 70 megabyte hard drives.

zachler

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the Razr Maxx, bought on Amazon.es and running on O2 Ireland. No jellybean update so far and O2 Ireland tell me that, as it isn't one of their approved phones, I won't be getting jellybean.
Is my only option to get jellybean now to root the phone?
The phone did a minor update when I first bought it a few weeks ago.

Running 4.0.4
System Version: 672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18