Help adding a custom notification tone to Yahoo email

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to add a different notification tone for my Yahoo email app. When I go to settings, the menu that appears is the default notification list that is embedded into the phone. I have used ES File Explorer to add downloaded tones for Gmail & GoSms but I don't get the option of ES File Explorer from within the Yahoo app. Anybody else run into this or have a solution?

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Well I found an answer to my question. After several searches of the Play store, I found Ringtone Setter. It allows you to pick a custom ring tone and add it to the default list built into the phone. Works perfect!

Fuzzballz

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much, it appears Yahoo Mail for Android only uses the root ringtones and notification sounds, so the ones added at the consumer level are unavailable. I will try your suggestion.

EDIT:

Ok, to clarify, there are two "Ringtone Setter" apps in the Play Store. One is by Dozzy Apps and didn't work at all. The other one, by HolmeswareApps, works but is not free (naturally).

EDIT 2:

Well, it appears that the other "Ringtone Setter" doesn't work either. The files it transfers to the Android root are all empty. ie, no sound. Quite unfortunate. :-\

Last edited:

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much, it appears Yahoo Mail for Android only uses the root ringtones and notification sounds, so the ones added at the consumer level are unavailable. I will try your suggestion.

EDIT:

Ok, to clarify, there are two "Ringtone Setter" apps in the Play Store. One is by Dozzy Apps and didn't work at all. The other one, by HolmeswareApps, works but is not free (naturally).

EDIT 2:

Well, it appears that the other "Ringtone Setter" doesn't work either. The files it transfers to the Android root are all empty. ie, no sound. Quite unfortunate. :-\
Sorry it didn't work for you. It was the paid version of HolmeswareApps that I used. Wonder why it didn't work for you?

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
with Lightflow you can set custom color LED notifications as well as sounds and volume adjustment for independent apps, like email, tapatalk, missed calls, the list gets updated quite frequently, take a look.

Lightflow

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
The tone I added was a custom one I created with Ringtone Maker from Big Bang Inc. I wonder if it didn't work for you because of the path you used vs the path I used? Just a thought.......
Lightflow sounds cool.I'll have to ck it out. Thanks for the heads up!

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
it works for me. had to install, set permissions via in app instructions, and reboot. once i set all the settings for each app i rebooted again and once it settled in everything worked the way it should. it will do what you want, i promise. take a look...

App list and compatability

Janice Schatzer

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think for all other notification settings using the light flow ap, you're able to set them under the tab "light".
For Yahoo Mail, you have to scroll one screen left, and "enable" it to change, manually.
I did this with my droid razr maxx hd and it worked fine!

J

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I down loaded the OTA version of Jelly Bean and wiped my phone to get a clean start with the new software. I loaded my apps back on and when I tried to add my ringtone with Ring Setter it wouldn't work. WTF? It worked perfectly before. With the recommendations form the above posts, I tried the free version of Light Flow and easily added my tone to the Yahoo mail app. Thanks for the advice!

speedfreek64

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
One more update: light flow was glitchy for me. I only used it for adding the ringtone I wanted to my Yahoo email app. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with the settings. Anyway, I read on another thread someone was having trouble with losing assigned ringtones to his contacts when he synced his Maxx to the computer. He discovered if the ringtones were on his SD card vs the internal memory it would happen every time. Got me thinking that the first time I used Ring Setter my tone was on the internal memory and the second time the tone was on the SD card because I had saved it before wiping my phone.

So I started from scratch and edited my tone with the same steps as the original time then used Ring Setter to add the tone. That did it! Now my tone appears in the default list from within the Yahoo app. I uninstalled Light Fow and the glitches with my LED notification disappeared too.

caoac

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd share this in case anyone finds it helpful...

I successfully added a custom tone as my Yahoo Mail notification sound without adding any third party ringtone apps. I tried Light Flow and other options, and some worked, but each messed up some other sound/LCD/etc setting on my phone, so I wanted to make it work without needing a separate app to do it.

This trick requires root access.

My logic was (could be flawed, but it worked!) that the Yahoo Mail app was pointing to system audio/ringtone files and didn't have it's own file collection, hence not being able to just dump some new audio files into a folder and have them show up as options.

So I just overwrote one of the system notification sound files with a custom sound of my own that had the same filename.

1) From within the Yahoo Mail app, identify one of the notification sounds that you're sure you'll never want to use. I chose the "Caffeinated Rattlesnake"

2) Locate this audio file in your system folder. On my phone (Droid Razr Maxx, Android 4.1) it was in /system/media/audio/notifications and was named "CaffeineSnake.ogg"

3) Now use an audio program (I used Audacity) to create an audio file of the new custom sound that you want to use. Save/export that file as an "Ogg Vorbis File" and name it "CaffeineSnake.ogg"

4) Get the new "CaffeineSnake.ogg" file onto your phone, then move it to the /system/media/audio/notifications folder and overwrite the existing "CaffeineSnake.ogg." This step requires root access to overwrite the system file... I use the app 'Root Explorer' by Speed Software to access/copy/paste/overwrite system files and folders.

5) Now go into Yahoo Mail and go to the notifications section and choose the sound "Caffeinated Rattlesnake."

Voila! You'll now hear your custom sound when a Yahoo Mail notification comes through.

Hope this helps!

Eric Lawson

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I use a 3rd party app called eNotify to set custom alert sounds on my yahoo account. I really like it. It lets you play different sounds depending on the sender, subject etc.. In addition to custom sounds, it can also do text to speech notifications. It might be a bit over the top if you only want the ability to set one custom sound though...Cheers!