Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default horrible battery life after update 4.1 .2

my battery life is like 4 hours after the update to 4.1 .2 on my Droid Razr Maxx anyone else have the same issue??

Default Re: horrible battery life after update 4.1 .2

Simply put: NO

Just got mine last night and all went well today for me....so far

Quote Originally Posted by Jess Perry View Post
    my battery life is like 4 hours after the update to 4.1 .2 on my Droid Razr Maxx anyone else have the same issue??
    That's definitely not right. Check & see if you have an app sucking it and if not, I'd try a cache wipe (or two). Failing that, a full factory reset. Sometimes recalibration of the battery by taking it down to a warning & charging while off overnight helps battery problems but I don't think it would help one as severe as yours.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
    B. Diddy likes this.

Agree with above. My battery life does seem a little worse than before, but still generally good. When we got the ICS update, I remember battery life taking an immediate hit, but then steadily improving after several charge cycles. Cache wipe may have helped as well. I'm hoping the same will occur with JB.

I was wondering if some of the goodies that came with JB might also suck a little more battery here and there. For example, could Google Now be frequently waking up to poll the web, even if wifi and 4G are off? This might eat up little bits of battery over time. When I have time, maybe I'll see what happens if I turn Google Now off and compare that battery life with when it's on.
    MooChelle01 likes this.

First reply after following the forums for a few months now. From what I've experienced since the update, I feel like my battery life is the same if not better. Today with what I would say is heavy use since I've been reinstalling a bunch of apps on top of my normal usage (which means I am constantly on my phone...the screen rarely gets a few seconds of rest). I have gone 18 hours on a full charge and still have 30% of the battery life left, so I would say it hasn't lost much if any battery life compared to when I had ICS. Also my wifi and gps have been on all day. I wiped my cache and did a factory reset after installing the update...so if you haven't done that I would recommend doing that and see if that helps at all.

yes Google now was draining my battery significantly.without it on for a day my battery life was better than ics & ran smoother.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

And I am "redecorating" mine since the update... So it has been being used a bit more... I don't know if anyone else is like me but I tend to move things around until they feel right ESPECIALLY after a change (update)...

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I had the JB for few weeks and I don't really see significant drain on battery. Did factory reset after update and at least three full cache wipe. I have Google Now on all the time.

I was out of the country last week but when I got back in the States, my Droid Razr downloaded this update. I have had to charge my phone 2 or 3 times a day and when I get up in the morning, the battery is dead as a door nail. And no, I do not leave my phone plugged in overnight because there is conflicting information on the web about whether this is bad for the battery or not.

One thing to note. The Droid Razr is a 4G phone. I never had a problem connecting 4G at home or work until after this update. Ever since, all I get is 3G and I'm pretty sure that this is what is sucking the battery.

Doing a factory reset will erase all installed apps, correct? So I will have to spend days "redecorating" my phone with all the apps I have installed and used over the past year?

I have already cleared the cache multiple times and uninstalled everything that I don't care and its still draining at an alarming rate. For example, got up this morning to a dead battery at 4:30 am, plugged it in to charge, got up to 90% by the time I left for work at 6:30 am, and by 10:30 am I am down to 20% and have to plug in again.

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

There's no harm leaving a lithium battery on charge overnight.

Carrier
    Gingerbread

That's because you need to charge it more than two hours. Charging the phone overnight does not do anything bad to the maxx. I do it everynight. Charge a phone to 100 in 2 1/2 hours versus 5 hrs and you will see a huge difference.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Carrier
    Gingerbread

For people talking about bad battery how do you charge it? For those working fine, how do you charge it?

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Carrier

Check the threads for horrible battery life since JB? Try this. I stopped the google location reporting like the thread mentioned and took my phone off the charger at seven this morning and still have 70% and the end of the work day!

B. Diddy and TitoRoE like this.

for the first time i just installed the JB upgrade without cache cleaning and resetting everything just to see what it was like. Right now the batt life is excellent. 18hrs and still on 60%. I'll assume that it will drop at some stage and then i'll clear the phone out and do a fresh reinstall but right now its doing the job well

I've noticed battery life increase after a few days with the update. Even with Google Now on, I still get a good 14-18 hours with mid to heavy use during the day.

Ain't no one more important to a broth'r than his barber!

I updated my Droid Razr OS to 4.1.2 a day or two ago, and now the battery life is greatly reduced. With virtually no use this morning, the capacity has fallen from 100% to 30% in 6 hours. The battery app shows the Android OS using 33% of the consumption; before the update, it used to be 10% or less. The other major consumers are screen 36% and Google Calendar Sync 16%. As usual, wifi and GPS are off and 4G on. How do I find out what is using the juice?

kgundry1

Carrier
    Gingerbread

Try clearing the dalvik cache

"Try clearing the dalvik cache"

Thank you, but I have no idea what that means. I can find nothing on my RAZR containing the word Dalvik. However, I seem to have solved the problem. From the Play Store, I installed Advanced Task Killer. It revealed many apps running. I killed most of them, and 24 hours later the charge has fallen from 100% to 70%, a huge improvement.
    In addition, in <system settings><developer options> I found the option "Don't keep activities". I have checked that (with developer options on, of course), and apparently now when I close an app, it doesn't continue to run in the background. I cannot think of any disadvantage, and think (hope!) that will solve the battery life problem.

kgundry1

Dalvik cache is a system cache that I think requires root in order to clear. If you're not rooted, you could try clearing the cache partition using these instructions. This helps to clear out the cobwebs after an update, and can help improve performance and battery life. Doing a full factory data reset is another option, but it's more of a hassle, because then you have to reinstall all of your apps.

There has been much written about task killers for Android, most of it unfavorable. In general, Android is supposed to manage memory and apps intelligently, and by keeping recent or common apps in memory, it makes their startup much faster. By killing all apps frequently, you may actually end up using more battery, because a lot of those apps will automatically restart, and that takes CPU power. However, it's certainly true that some apps can misbehave and work overtime, or accidentally (or purposefully) wake up the device many times a day to do something, which eats up more battery. So task killers can help to stop one of these rogue process, but you need to know what is going haywire before you decide what to stop, which is always the $100,000 question. Some apps that might cause significant battery drain include Google Currents (if you have it set to automatic refresh), fancy live wallpapers, some antivirus apps (e.g., I found Avast to use significantly more battery than Lookout), and essentially any app that frequently tries to access the web (think social apps).

There are a lot of apps out there that can give you an idea of what exactly is using up juice. I've seen many people recommend GSAM Battery Monitor or Better Battery Stats. These apps can give you a more detailed breakdown of battery use compared with the stock Android settings. In addition, you could also try Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you which apps are waking your device up to do stuff, how often, and for how long. I used it recently to discover that Google Maps has a settings called Location Reporting, that when turned on (which it is by default), causes the app to wake the device up frequently to try to report back to Google location information. Turning that setting off improved my battery life significantly.

I'm not a developer or a power user, but I wouldn't recommend using the "Don't keep activities" setting. As it's clearly labeled, it's a developer option, so it's not really meant for day to day use. Having an activity get killed each time you close it might make your system more unstable.
    roberts68 likes this.

please samsung do something to increase my battery backup...........android 4.1.2 really sucks/......please do something asap!

B. Diddy, Many thanks. Most, perhaps all, of the juice-consumers that you mentioned do not apply on my RAZR. (As an aside, I have seen references to Google Now and Google Currents, but neither seems to be present on my RAZR). I tried the cache clearing in accordance with "these instructions" but no boot menu ever appeared. All that seemed to happen eventually, after several attempts, was that the wallpaper was reset to the default! I normally have a completely black background. I then ran Advanced Task Killer, to find that dozens of apps were running (more than a screen-worth)! It would appear that "Don't keep activities" doesn't do what it says, so I have turned it off again. I will try one or more of your suggested apps. However, as has been mentioned by lots of others, both in this forum and elsewhere, the update to Android 4.2.1 seems to have resulted in dramatically reduced battery life. I would think it ought to be up to the Android people to address this, and soon, so I hope someone there is reading this. kgundry1

Carrier
    Gingerbread

The typical issue has to do with apps needing updated to support the functions of the new android OS. Sometimes a removal and reinstall can resolve issues too.

I backup my data, majority are cloud storage but not all. Do a FDR then reinstall my apps. I get excellent battery life. Should this be needed probably not but it isn't required. An update from the app typically solves misc issues too.

Thanks, Mr. Host. I must confess I am very reluctant to do a factory reset, remembering the difficulty I had in transferring bookmarks to my RAZR in the first place. However, surely there is a bug in Android 4.2.1. An hour ago, I ran <advanced task killer> and shut down everything, so there were no apps running. Not having done anything in the interim, two or three minutes ago, I turned on the RAZR and ran <advanced task killer> again; there were 15 apps running, none of which I had started, including maps, browser, k-9 email, acalendar. All location services are disabled. What can I do?
    kgundry1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast