any battery life issues after JB OTA?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
My daughter says she is having a problem with battery life since the update, so I thought I would check to see whether this is a known issue. Has anything been turned on by default? Is Google Now sucking up more juice as it monitors things? I don't have any issues on my Nexus, but each phone is different. Thoughts?

cgaines2101

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering the same thing. I have noticed a quicker draw on my battery but I am SOOOO playing around with all the new functions that I haven't given the phone much time to rest. LOL So it could be the operator or it could just be something within the device. ???

sammy1412

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I posted in the sticky thread.

My drains faster.

Gonna give it few days and see if it improves.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is so-so. What I mean is that some days, like when I first upgraded to JB, battery life was amazing. After the update my phone was around 50% battery with not a lot of screen time. After playing around for a few hours, I had 6% left and 3.5 hours of on screen time. The following day I noticed my battery draining a little fast when not being used, but still lasted the day and I had about 60% with a couple hours on screen time when I called it a night. Yesterday was ok, listened to Pandora a lot so battery drain was fast. Today, I'm having about normal. Was doing a lot of web browsing over 4G this morning so that sucked some battery. Right now I'm sitting at 83%, 5 hours and 11 mins since being off the charger, with 37 mins on screen time, this while leaving 4G on. I rarely use wifi since I'm still on unlimited, so I'm going to use it.

I would download GSam Battery Monitor to see what is exactly eating up the battery. A little restart wouldn't hurt things, no, not a factory reset. Turn the phone off, then turn it back on. Let things settle down a bit. A couple charging cycles would not hurt either. Drain the battery down to 1%, turn off phone, charge it, turn phone back on, rinse and repeat a couple times. If all else fails, do an FDR.

I should also point out that everyday can be different. Your daughters phone can be getting horrible battery life today, then tomorrow it can be phenomenal, then the next day it can be horrible again.

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I had only about 8 hours on my battery, I did a factory reset and it fixed most of the battery issues

I have an app called media that is destroying my battery. It's using close to 70 percent per day whereas the screen is only using like 20 percent. I'm about to do a factory data reset and see if that changes anything. Hopefully it will.

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the same pro lem with media process. Please let me know if FDR works for battery life.

TIA

Didn't work here. After FDR things were looking up for a bit but it looks like it's back to the same old story.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363415604678.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363415604678.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 81

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried force stopping it? Something easy to do but maybe take your sd card out. If you have music on it, maybe it's trying to access it? I'm just throwing out a guess, but i would assume that's what media means.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's weird that the icon for Media is the Downloads icon. Is there anything in your Downloads folder?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it's weird that the icon for Media is the Downloads icon. I'd there anything in your Downloads folder?

This. I've not seen media show up under battery usage and certainly not with the wrong icon. I personally think the phone is in a bit of a perpetual crash state and like as a computer tends to do, is applying heavy resources to attempt to resolve it. If I had to guess it would be that a problem occurred during the JB OTA download which might explain the icon. I'd return this one if I could and if not, may be a perfect time to root & experiment with different ROM...nothing much to lose.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I think it's weird that the icon for Media is the Downloads icon. I'd there anything in your Downloads folder?

No, not a thing.

I thought that was weird too. Verizon and Motorola have no clue as to what is going on. Motorola wants me to send the phone in to be checked, if it's still acting up after a factory reset, which it is. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to be without a phone because an update that they prepared is making my phone malfunction.

Last edited:

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried force stopping it? Something easy to do but maybe take your sd card out. If you have music on it, maybe it's trying to access it? I'm just throwing out a guess, but i would assume that's what media means.

Yeah, I have tried force stopping it. It will start back up on its own. Did the jelly bean update get rid of one of the music players? Because the only one I have now is Google play music. I thought Motorola had their own player on ics and I'm wondering if that was one of the ones they removed in favor of the Google app.

If removing the sd card works, what is my next step? Deleting the music from it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I have tried force stopping it. It will start back up on its own. Did the jelly bean update get rid of one of the music players? Because the only one I have now is Google play music. I thought Motorola had their own player on ics and I'm wondering if that was one of the ones they removed in favor of the Google app.

If removing the sd card works, what is my next step? Deleting the music from it?

Yes, the JB update got rid of Motorola's My Music. See the full changelog here:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/93191

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So the next step, as suggested above, would be to unmount the SD card and remove it, then see what happens over the next day with the battery use. Then report back to us!

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be back to close to normal now , but I'll keep an eye on it and keep you all posted.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363463321388.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363463321388.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The entry for "Media" is still present though. Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't show on mine at all under battery usage.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Okay, here's hoping. I did some creative "Googling" & found others both before and after 4.1.2 that have an identical issue. Turns out the "Media" function includes a number of Moto functions as well as the Download Manager. The single identifiable cause was that something on the SD card that was keeping process.android.media running. The solution was to back up pics and format the card using the phone. After a restart, no more issue at least, in this case. You can do more searching on your own, there's a good deal of information on your problem.

From what I've gleaned looking into it, app updates that were interrupted or corrupt can trigger this. As a possible simple solution, go to the Play Store & check if there are any updates showing. If so, Install & reboot to see if Media still shows up in battery stats.

Last edited: