Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

ROM
    Gingerbread

Default Re: Strange corporate email security warning after JB update

Good news on the advanced email option. Did you install advanced email after installing default email?
    I may be wrong on this but I believe you have to remove the certificate under administration, then try installing advanced email again and see if it prompts you or not.

Trying it right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Gingerbread

I uninstalled both default and advanced email. The device administration was removed. Reinstalled advanced email but it hasn't downloaded email between now and previous post. 20 minutes I think.

Edit: turns out I didn't have the server full name. Worked with no problems and no device administrator needed. You don't get task, which I use but for email and calendar it works fine.

Awesome! There is your solution.

Last edited by MrHost; 03-22-2013 at 02:38 PM.

ROM
    Gingerbread

Here is mine.
    Strange corporate email security warning after JB update-uploadfromtaptalk1363992698997.jpg
    Strange corporate email security warning after JB update-uploadfromtaptalk1363992715805.jpg
    Strange corporate email security warning after JB update-uploadfromtaptalk1363992778948.jpg

I had exactly the same experience this morning after the JB update, with the same reply from the IT guy: "Huh? No, we don't require that."
    Also after the JB update the "SYM" key (to bring up the back-slash character and other symbols) no longer works in some text interfaces, so I can't log in to the Exchange server through OWA (Outlook Web Access) either. Oh well. Work can call me if they need me....
    Droid 4 (for the keyboard) on Verizon.

ROM
    Gingerbread

The Swype keyboard that comes with the MAXX works fine for symbols.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Busch View Post
    I had exactly the same experience this morning after the JB update, with the same reply from the IT guy: "Huh? No, we don't require that."
    Also after the JB update the "SYM" key (to bring up the back-slash character and other symbols) no longer works in some text interfaces, so I can't log in to the Exchange server through OWA (Outlook Web Access) either. Oh well. Work can call me if they need me....
    Droid 4 (for the keyboard) on Verizon.
    Reinforced that this is a JB problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Gingerbread

It isn't a "problem". The IT has control to change what security they want. They need to revisit the mobile policy and see what they can be more lax on and change it. There is an option in exchange 2010 on what to do if they refuse. You can let them(user) still have access or not.

If anything, this is unexpected but apparently JB seems to have been told to ask this. This is part of corporate/enterprise security.

ROM
    Gingerbread

just to make sure I'm thinking right I'm going to look in the 2007 exchange and check on their mobile policies and how they work.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

What I'm saying is that this is at least the second IT manager who has said their server is not requesting these permissions, yet JB is reporting them. That is a problem.

ROM
    Gingerbread

Here is a bit of info about exchange 2007 and mobile.

Have them check their policy there. By default it doesn't require a password. Have them see if their policy request a password. The other stuff is showing up because password is required. That is my thought on what is happening. If they do have password unchecked and still asking for that stuff then I will admit that is an issue.

In the newer exchange I can select the other stuff like camera and such if I want to allow them or not. I didn't notice it on the screenshots on the webpage. On what I read so far.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Gingerbread

Here's another, more detailed one too.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

What password are you talking about? The only password I have ever used is my email password.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Another here: Unsure about allowing excessive email security update after JB download

ROM
    Gingerbread

I am referring to exchange server.

ROM
    Gingerbread

Has your IT looked at the mobile profiles as of yet on the server. If they don't know where to look, see my links above. They have a security policy, that is why you have to agree or not. If they have looked at their server and they have no security policy and it is asking it might be an issue. I still say it isn't an issue, it is more restrictive than you want.

If you accept the changes, does your email work?
    This requirement while new to us has been in place on the server. They (IT) didn't change anything, it was JB as you mentioned originally. It has been made to work properly with exchange.

ROM
    Gingerbread

IT should find an option to remove encryption and re-enable the camera. They should be able to remove the remote wipe option too.

Hello everyone. I accidentally found this thread during a Google search for something else. I'm on my way to work, so I'll make this brief. I'll check back later to make sure I've explained myself properly.

The permissions that the Exchange client on your phone are required for YOUR security, as well as your company's. There is nothing to be worried about. To all of the folks who's IT department told them that it was not in their server, tell them to go RTFM. It absolutely IS their server that is asking for (requiring) these permissions. I got the message when I set up my email on my maxx. Accept them, and your email will work properly.

If you have access to your corporate Exchange account via webmail, login, hit options, and then select mobile. You will get a screen similar to the screenshot that I attached. If you have lost your phone, or if it was stolen, you can hit the "self destruct" button, and wipe your phone's data via webmail.

So... no worries... be happy... get your work email from your boat... er... home office...
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strange corporate email security warning after JB update-exchange.jpg  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by MrHost View Post
    IT should find an option to remove encryption and re-enable the camera. They should be able to remove the remote wipe option too.
    Personally, I'd prefer that option kept. In this instance you have a personal phone adding their work email but there are likely work phones as well. One is bound to get lost or stolen and having the option to remotely wipe it is always nice

As for IT not having set this policy, it has been stated that it is the default for the mobile profile on Exchange 2007. You'd be surprised at how often defaults are kept without being looked into at all
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Well, I sent the link Mr Host provided to my IT guy. His reply was to thank me for the link, however he was not going to change the settings since I have data from work on my device. I do not see how my phone is any different from a laptop, as both can be stolen, and I login from my laptop as well. They certainly don't have the ability to wipe all the data on my laptop remotely, from work. I see no reason why I should give them this much control and permissions over my personal cell phone. I'm trying to work this issue through different channels at work now to get the policy changed.

ROM
    Gingerbread

He did at least confirm they were set the way it was requested to you though right?

If they were marked differently then I would consider that an issue.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1800N1 View Post
    Well, I sent the link Mr Host provided to my IT guy. His reply was to thank me for the link, however he was not going to change the settings since I have data from work on my device. I do not see how my phone is any different from a laptop, as both can be stolen, and I login from my laptop as well. They certainly don't have the ability to wipe all the data on my laptop remotely, from work. I see no reason why I should give them this much control and permissions over my personal cell phone. I'm trying to work this issue through different channels at work now to get the policy changed.

Personal laptop? Do you use Web mail or a local client? If it's Web mail then you still have to input your password (unless it's saved *cringe*), whereas on the phone you don't once unlocked. That makes things much less secure.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

What exactly are you installing when you install "advanced email"? Would it be possible for you to give some more details (step-by-step?) to remove the Device Administrator need?

Thank you in advance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12