Google Now

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Although my wife's Nexus 7 has had Google Now for a while I'd not used it to any extent because well, it's her toy. Until the JB update on the Maxx, I really didn't completely comprehend the full scope of Google Now's potential. For anyone who is yet to really dig into it I would encourage you to do so. I've found it to be a powerful tool and in fact, perfectly capable of replacing several "1-trick pony" apps I no longer have use for. There are lots of good websites providing information on how to get the most out of it, lots of tips & voice commands and YouTube has some great videos as well. GN voice recognition is superb & not only puts the stock Moto app to shame, it exceeds it's abilities 1000 fold. I'd call it a powerful search tool, a surprisingly efficient voice command tool and predictive personal assistant rolled into one. IMHO, it's inclusion alone clearly puts JB on a much higher plane above earlier android versions. If you haven't, waste a little time playing with it & explore it's capabilities...may be fun.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

burt64

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I like it, but it acts inconsistently for me:
examples:
* Never shows my "time to work" in the morning. In fact, I only ever see this if I hit the "more cards" after the initial display. My work location has always been defined in the settings...
* Time to appointment typically requires exact address in the calendar location to work. If I put "Lakewood Middle School" as location, even though there is only one within hundreds of miles, I will not get a map and a reminder location as to when to leave. If I put in the exact street address, it works. There is no easy way in a calendar appoinement to easily link to street location to map
* Sports scores used to show every day, but quit showing even though I defined the teams I want to see in the settings. I used to get Cleveland Indians daily... no longer. I defined Ohio State basketball and Columbus crew also, but never got cards for those.

Great potential, but not working out as well as I had hoped.I fully expect it will continue to improve though.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not perfect but it is very good. A lot of omissions can be overcome by using the detailed settings found in some of the best tutorials - the more access it's granted the better the results.

On Sports (especially collegiate sports) it oddly tracks some i.e., football, and omits others such as, baseball. I could be wrong but IIRC, this started with the last update. I find the pro sports work fairly well. Another change is the prior options for updates before, during & after games is now gone.

I also found that Google Note (if installed) is an additional option integrated into GN added to Gmail for reminders, notes to self, etc. The new music recognition is amazingly fast and absolutely spot on. Giving a "Play>Song Title>(Artist optional) command will load & play the tune from YouTube or if not available, to the Play Store.

I fully expect Google to soon fully integrate the calendar as well, it's just too logical not to. I can see this app evolving quickly to put android in a very good position going forward. The anticipating features are not bad now but will surely improve/expand and with Google's posture in navigation, search results & other unique strengths they may be hard to catch.

Spatchr

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have not played with the Google Now much but I do like that it almost always tells me how far I am from home. I?ll have to start putting addresses on my calendar items to see if it notifies me when to leave, that would be nice. I have found though that since chrome on my laptop is linked with chrome on the phone that if I search for a business or other location in chrome or Google maps on the computer Google Now will think I might want to go there and display directions and travel time to that location on the phone.

I set my home location on the phone but never told it where I work, yet I noticed it was giving me travel times to work. Looked to see and it thought I worked at a store that I had not been too since I bought the phone. I did lookup and call the store to see if they had an item in stock one day but I have also looked up and called dozens of other businesses as well. Why would it pick that one? Within the last week it has changed my work location to my now my ex-girlfriends apartment, which is about an hour away and I have not been there in 4 weeks. Is it just guessing?

Giving a "Play>Song Title>(Artist optional) command will load & play the tune from YouTube or if not available, to the Play Store.

I tried this hoping it would open a song saved on the phone, but it only provided a YouTube link, would be nice if there was a way to do that.

I?ll have to checkout some of the YouTube Videos to see what else it can do.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It will open the Play Music app and I believe if you have created a play list, it would (only) play that. I found it helpful to print out a pretty comprehensive set of recognized commands.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I like it, but it acts inconsistently for me:
examples:
* Never shows my "time to work" in the morning. In fact, I only ever see this if I hit the "more cards" after the initial display. My work location has always been defined in the settings...
* Time to appointment typically requires exact address in the calendar location to work. If I put "Lakewood Middle School" as location, even though there is only one within hundreds of miles, I will not get a map and a reminder location as to when to leave. If I put in the exact street address, it works. There is no easy way in a calendar appoinement to easily link to street location to map
* Sports scores used to show every day, but quit showing even though I defined the teams I want to see in the settings. I used to get Cleveland Indians daily... no longer. I defined Ohio State basketball and Columbus crew also, but never got cards for those.

Great potential, but not working out as well as I had hoped.I fully expect it will continue to improve though.

Have you set your work schedule on the location? I believe that is where I set it. I will look again.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have not played with the Google Now much but I do like that it almost always tells me how far I am from home. I?ll have to start putting addresses on my calendar items to see if it notifies me when to leave, that would be nice. I have found though that since chrome on my laptop is linked with chrome on the phone that if I search for a business or other location in chrome or Google maps on the computer Google Now will think I might want to go there and display directions and travel time to that location on the phone.

I set my home location on the phone but never told it where I work, yet I noticed it was giving me travel times to work. Looked to see and it thought I worked at a store that I had not been too since I bought the phone. I did lookup and call the store to see if they had an item in stock one day but I have also looked up and called dozens of other businesses as well. Why would it pick that one? Within the last week it has changed my work location to my now my ex-girlfriends apartment, which is about an hour away and I have not been there in 4 weeks. Is it just guessing?

I tried this hoping it would open a song saved on the phone, but it only provided a YouTube link, would be nice if there was a way to do that.

I?ll have to checkout some of the YouTube Videos to see what else it can do.

While in Google now go to settings then phone search. Select what things you want searched. It worked fine on mine. Played music through Google play.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not perfect but it is very good. A lot of omissions can be overcome by using the detailed settings found in some of the best tutorials - the more access it's granted the better the results.

On Sports (especially collegiate sports) it oddly tracks some i.e., football, and omits others such as, baseball. I could be wrong but IIRC, this started with the last update. I find the pro sports work fairly well. Another change is the prior options for updates before, during & after games is now gone.

I also found that Google Note (if installed) is an additional option integrated into GN added to Gmail for reminders, notes to self, etc. The new music recognition is amazingly fast and absolutely spot on. Giving a "Play>Song Title>(Artist optional) command will load & play the tune from YouTube or if not available, to the Play Store.

I fully expect Google to soon fully integrate the calendar as well, it's just too logical not to. I can see this app evolving quickly to put android in a very good position going forward. The anticipating features are not bad now but will surely improve/expand and with Google's posture in navigation, search results & other unique strengths they may be hard to catch.

They have intergraded the calendar for Google now. I play ingress and have meet ups every week. Google now reminds me of every appointment sent to my calendar including directions.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Excellent! Will be interesting to see what the future holds for it. By "full integration" of the calendar though I mean the ability to schedule a calendar event via Google's voice command. As near as I can tell, you are presently limited to timed events using alarms or Gmail & Google Keep reminder notes.

Last edited:

4xxblessed

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a work location, so it seems to make a new one up every day. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove it. I can change it to something new, but there doesn't seem to be a way to completely remove the work location option. It annoys me that every day it tells me how far to work and it's always someplace different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781