Call Blocker Question

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there a Call Blocker app out there that doesn't hang up on an existing call when a blocked call comes in? I'm using Avast and it hangs up my current call when a blocked number calls me.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You can use YOUMAIL its a visual voice mail. you can program certain contacts to give the do do do....sorry the number you have called is no longer in service. Also its a great voicemail app AND it will tell you the name of the caller if they leave a voice mail not just some random number

myersw

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called call filter. Works good at blocking calls and has a number of configurations. Do not know about what happens if a blocked call comes in while you are talking though. --bill

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Surprising there aren't more replies as I would think others might have run into the problem. After all, don't most of us use our phone for phone calls? :)

I guess I could temporarily add a number that I can use to test to the block list and check it that way. Was hoping the forum might save me the work. Thanks for the suggestions, but was only asking about my issue and not for general call blocker recommendations.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use Google voice for voice mail. I have a generic message for known and other messages for groups. If I don't want to get a call from someone I go to their contact number and say forward to voice mail. If it is someone I don't want to call back or receive calls from, I place them in a "special " group and it leaves a personal message about where they can go and what they can do!

WAY BETTER THAN ANY CALL BLOCKER! And it's built into android by default.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have tried every call blocking app in the store and had poor results. Some would block those I wanted blocked just fine but then would also randomly block people in my contacts. I even tried whitelisting some contacts which didn't help much. They would also block text messages. Problem was there was no way to get the messages back if they blocked someone who wasn't supposed to be blocked.

Sad to say is the best thing you can do is save it in your contacts then go to the contact and hit the menu button and check the box for "All calls to voicemail". This is really the only reliable way to block only who I want blocked.

From what I understand the google voice option works great. My problems with it was for it work you would have to have it running through your google voice number so you would have to give everyone your google voice number as your new phone number. Which is a pain but not a huge pain. Which I could have gotten through but voogle voice currently only does SMS. They are working on getting MMS but who know when that will happen. So then you would have to tell people to call you on google voice but text me to my old number. Which we all know they wod just call and text you on your old number anyway. lol

Youmail is a voicemail replacement that works by forwarding your missed calls to their service. Problem is you need to add all your contacts to their contacts and then you can set it so all calls not in your contacts will get the unwanted caller message. The other problem is that since it works on missed call forwarding then the phone has to ring first. The way around that would be to make your default ringtone as silent and then assign ringtones to everyone you want to talk to. Though it also means if someone you know is stranded somewhere without their phone then it would be highly likely will miss their call for help. I liked Youmail for what it was. I just got tired of the constant nagging to upgrade to the pro version for like $10/month.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my KFTT using Android Central Forums

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Google voice doesn't require to use their number. You forward your phone to the number they gave you. Mine works fine.

When contact calls, I don't get a ring..if I do, it is so brief I never noticed it.

Just confirmed, no ring. Screen doesn't even light up. Straight to google voice mail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Google voice doesn't require to use their number. You forward your phone to the number they gave you. Mine works fine.

When contact calls, I don't get a ring..if I do, it is so brief I never noticed it.

Just confirmed, no ring. Screen doesn't even light up. Straight to google voice mail.

Really? I wasn't aware you could do that. Been with them since the Grand Central days. I may start using it again. Thanks.

Sent from my KFTT using Android Central Forums

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When you forward it you ave some crap message and then delete any messages left at the end of the month assuming a message is even left. I like creating messages for that group that act like I'm selling them something. Kinda funny. Or one of the best ones is to record a fax line connection. They won't leave a message then! No messages to delete. Problem fixed.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Your call of course...or it can be passed on..get it..your call... o well

Ed Zachary

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Mr Number?
A couple of times after finishing a call I have noticed that it had blocked a call. Didn't interfere with the call I was on.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Mr Number?
A couple of times after finishing a call I have noticed that it had blocked a call. Didn't interfere with the call I was on.

Finally, someone with a suggestion addressing my question and with some evidence it works. Thanks Ed!

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I looked into Mr. Number and what concerns me is the comment that even when the phone is silent it still beeps when a blocked call comes in. That won't work for me as I'm often in business meetings and need the phone to be completely silent.