Bluetooth streaming audio issues

woody nh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I recently noticed that Bluetooth audio streaming to my Toyota Tundra had stopped working. No problem with my wife?s exact same phone.

Checked all the settings and re paired the phone (internal audio on the Toyota and car multi-media on the MAZX). No luck with my phone. Rats. Although there were hints of a connection as hitting the pause on the truck audio system switched the (silent) Pandora track from play to pause on the phone. Hmmmm.

Then I remembered that I has installed Ringtone Maker and had played/selected a song (Ticket to Ride, old guy here). I uninstalled Ringtone Maker and queued up a song using the Play Music App and success! Loud and clear on the truck audio system. Then I started Pandora and silence, Rats again. But the song title that I had played using Play Music still showed on the truck audio display. Hmmmm.

Back to Play Music, hit play and sound came through. Looked for a way to ?quit? the Play Music App and did not see a way. Hypothesis: the App had seized the Bluetooth audio channel and would not let go. Went to manage Apps and forced Play Music to quit (ignoring the drastic warnings). Bingo, Pandora was playing on the truck audio system.

If you encounter a problem with Bluetooth audio streaming suggest checking to see if any previously used audio app has seized the Bluetooth audio channel. Then find a way to exit or quit that App.

woody nh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Pandora and Tune in Radio work fine now and will automatically resume after a phone call. Both of those Apps have an exit/quit menu choice that I do use when I am done with each.

It appears that the only issue was with an audio app like Play Music where I did not find an exit/quit choice in the app menu or with ring tone maker where I never even thought to find a way to exit the app. It just sat there in the background holding on to the Bluetooth audio channel unknown to me.

00chris

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
What tundra do you have? I have a 2012Rock Warrior with the non-jbl, no-nav stereo. The streaming Bluetooth hasn't worked since I got the Jellybean update. I did a factory reset, unpaired, paired, did everything. No streaming audio. It still works for phone calls though. Verizon says I'm the only person with an issue. I really miss my streaming audio. I have thought of buying a better head unit. The Bluetooth pairing on the factory HU is terrible anyway. The phone book on the phone doesn't sync with the head unit...

Last edited:

woody nh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
What tundra do you have? I have a 2012Rock Warrior with the non-jbl, no-nav stereo. The streaming Bluetooth hasn't worked since I got the Jellybean update. I did a factory reset, unpaired, paired, did everything. No streaming audio. It still works for phone calls though. Verizon says I'm the only person with an issue. I really miss my streaming audio. I have thought of buying a better head unit. The Bluetooth pairing on the factory HU is terrible anyway. The phone book on the phone doesn't sync with the head unit...

I have a 2012 SR5 TRD off road, non-jbl and no nav so I should have the same audio system as you. Great truck except for the 5 year old audio system tech.

My streaming audio quit after JB also but I had downloaded Ring Tone maker and had used Play Music both because JB eliminated the Moto music app.

I'm sure you checked all this but just in case: Internal Audio has been selected on the truck audio when pairing and car multi-media shows on the phone Bluetooth and selecting the gear on the phone next to car multi-media shows both phone audio and media audio as checked. Also on Pandora Settings>advanced shows Bluetooth as checked.

Next try powering off the phone (long press of power button to see the option) and then a restart. This should kill the running of any apps that are not self starting on power up. See if the streaming works with Pandora. I not, see if pushing the pause button on the truck audio switches the pause/play on the Pandora display. If it does that is an indication that the pairing has worked.

If still not playing streaming audio then try playing a song on the phone using Play Music. If that works then the pairing and truck audio is fine. Now on the phone Menu>manage apps>Google Play Music> force stop. Now check the streaming again. If still not working, some other audio app is probably running.

Good luck.

00chris

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I had done everything but use Play Music. I did that and all of a sudden it worked. I use MOG for music, and it was working with my Bluetooth headphones so I figured it was just a Bluetooth issue with the head unit. MOG now works with my truck. All I had to do was play music with Play Music, close that, open MOG and things were back to functional again. I agree the Tundra stereo is outdated. Everything else about the truck is great. I do miss the in bed trunk that I had in the Ridgeline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21