1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Default RAZR Mazz for International Use?

I thought I remember reading a couple of months back that with one of our updates, the phone would be able to be used internationally. Typically, when I travel out of the country, I use an old Blackberry Tour. Why I land in the country I buy a pre-pay SIM card, pop it in the BB, and I have a local number to use within the country. I will be in Argentina for a month in June and I was wondering if I can now do that with the RAZR. If so, what kind of SIM will I need and do I put it where the 4G SIM is currently?
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Default Re: RAZR Mazz for International Use?

Quote Originally Posted by 5111 View Post
    I thought I remember reading a couple of months back that with one of our updates, the phone would be able to be used internationally. Typically, when I travel out of the country, I use an old Blackberry Tour. Why I land in the country I buy a pre-pay SIM card, pop it in the BB, and I have a local number to use within the country. I will be in Argentina for a month in June and I was wondering if I can now do that with the RAZR. If so, what kind of SIM will I need and do I put it where the 4G SIM is currently?
    Yes your Razr now has international GSM capabilities. I believe you will need to call Verizon so they can unlock your phone to use an international SIM card. Or you can sign up for a 1 month international data plan. VZW can tell you the rates and such. I choose to just pay for the small amount of phone calls I made while on vacation and did not choose an international calling paln.

Good luck and give VZW a call....
    Thanked by:

It already is unlocked with the latest update. Just change it to gsm or global mode and voice and text should work with a foreign sim. For data, you would need to change the apn.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It already is unlocked with the latest update. Just change it to gsm or global mode and voice and text should work with a foreign sim. For data, you would need to change the apn.
    What is the APN?

Being able to use my phone for texts and calls would be great. My wife is going with me and it would be nice if we could both have a phone for those few times when I leave her in the apartment and venture out alone or when we get separated. Also, the RAZR takes much better photos than the old BB!

It would be really nice to have data while there, but since data on the BB stinks, not having it won't be anything new. I have heard that data in Buenos Aires is not as good anyhow. I'd still like it on one phone if possible.

I don't want an international plan because I only intend to call numbers within Argentina (cabs, movie times, the apartment, etc.) However, maybe I'll call Verizon and see what they have to say.

I'm guessing I power down the phone, pop out the 4G sim, pop in the new one, and power back up, right? Anything else?

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Remember not to set it to global mode if you're sure the carrier you're on uses gsm since global mode drains battery much faster.

Posted via Android Central App

Your 4g sim is enough for international use. Call verizon (or logon to their website) and update your global plan. The voice/text cost me $4.99 a month and the data was $25 for ! 100MEG !. You also need to remember to cancel that when you get back stateside or they WILL keep charging you.
    ~john
    N42-05.89 W070-40.33
    My heart is in
    N56-40.26 W003-00.18