"Cell standby" is draining the battery (51%)

backslashV

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm using it on a GSM carrier so it's on global mode but that shouldn't be the case since 4G/LTE uses much more power. battery dropped to 80% in 8 hours without even leaving the screen on for 1 minute. I didn't use the phone in this period. See the photos please.

Screenshot_2013-05-08-19-57-12.pngScreenshot_2013-05-08-20-00-45.png

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As noted in your pics. You were at 80 percent after almost 12hrs. For essentially 3hrs(roughly, 22 percent) of it, you had no signal. Even though you never made a call, it was trying to find a signal. Did you set the phone to global mode, so it wouldn't try the CDMA?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you have a problem either. You're within 10% of my performance and I have a weak 4G LTE or solid 3G during the day. The main reason battery use seems lopsided is that you're not using it much otherwise. Take a look (or better yet, a screenshot) shortly after first boot and again after a full day. You'll find some of the initial heavy hitters disappear entirely after use. I suspect that in your case, normal usage will have minimal impact on overall battery life and even less if you can stay locked onto a signal.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I might be mistaken, but I don't think Verizon has rolled out Voice Over LTE, so your voice calls would be over CDMA.

Your signal seems pretty lousy, which would explain the battery drain--the phone's radio is working overtime to try to find a signal, even if you're not trying to make a call. Is the signal worse at work or at home? I suffer from the same problem where I work, and I routinely switch to Airplane Mode there to prevent battery drain.

I don't think Global vs GSM vs LTE should really matter. I don't use my phone globally, so I keep it on LTE.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When you mean global mode, have you tried moving to GSM/UTM instead of global?

See pic below

uploadfromtaptalk1368058856742.jpg

I'm still not sure what the difference between global and GSM really is.

Did you say you have purchased a Sim card from a carrier where you are? I would change to the GSM if you did.

backslashV

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
As noted in your pics. You were at 80 percent after almost 12hrs. For essentially 3hrs(roughly, 22 percent) of it, you had no signal. Even though you never made a call, it was trying to find a signal. Did you set the phone to global mode, so it wouldn't try the CDMA?

Yup it is set to global mode because I'm using it in Iran which has GSM.

backslashV

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to try that. I think when you set it to global mode it will be LTE/GSM ready rather than just focusing on one of them.

backslashV

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I might be mistaken, but I don't think Verizon has rolled out Voice Over LTE, so your voice calls would be over CDMA.

Your signal seems pretty lousy, which would explain the battery drain--the phone's radio is working overtime to try to find a signal, even if you're not trying to make a call. Is the signal worse at work or at home? I suffer from the same problem where I work, and I routinely switch to Airplane Mode there to prevent battery drain.

I don't think Global vs GSM vs LTE should really matter. I don't use my phone globally, so I keep it on LTE.

Android 4+ brought this global mode to the MAXX. By the way I have great signal most of the time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android 4+ brought this global mode to the MAXX. By the way I have great signal most of the time.

Oh yes, I'm aware of that. I initially thought you were concerned about using too much battery by using LTE for phone calls, hence my comment about Voice Over LTE not yet available in the US. But then you mentioned you're in Iran, so it's an irrelevant point anyway ...

Why do you say you have great signal most of the time? The fact that 22% of your time on is without signal (according to your battery stats) would suggest otherwise. Be aware that the Maxx's signal bars can fool you--they don't necessarily update until you try to make a phone call or connect to mobile data. So what I've noticed at my work is that the phone will show 2 or 3 signal bars at first, but when I try to make a call, it suddenly plunges to zero. It might be that you think you have great signal because of what the signal bars are telling you, but you actually have none, and you wouldn't know unless you actually tried to make a call in the dead spot.

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would run it on GSM/UTM only and see how it works. As far as I know LTE isn't running there, since they use GSM.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

backslashV

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, I'm aware of that. I initially thought you were concerned about using too much battery by using LTE for phone calls, hence my comment about Voice Over LTE not yet available in the US. But then you mentioned you're in Iran, so it's an irrelevant point anyway ...

Why do you say you have great signal most of the time? The fact that 22% of your time on is without signal (according to your battery stats) would suggest otherwise. Be aware that the Maxx's signal bars can fool you--they don't necessarily update until you try to make a phone call or connect to mobile data. So what I've noticed at my work is that the phone will show 2 or 3 signal bars at first, but when I try to make a call, it suddenly plunges to zero. It might be that you think you have great signal because of what the signal bars are telling you, but you actually have none, and you wouldn't know unless you actually tried to make a call in the dead spot.

Yes I was paying attention to those signal bars. but with my other phone I get a good signal. I'm not sure why that 22% is there.

backslashV

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I would run it on GSM/UTM only and see how it works. As far as I know LTE isn't running there, since they use GSM.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

I just upgraded the OS to 4.2.1 and set it to GSM. Will post the results in a day or two. It would be great if you guys could post your battery usage screenshots too.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the delay--for some reason, the Android Central Forums app wouldn't let me upload it from my phone, so had to transfer it to my computer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-08-22-27-49.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-22-27-49.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 42

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you give us a few more details? Are you saying that even when on Airplane Mode, the phone is reporting that Cell Standby is using significant battery?