Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Made Deal With Vzw, your opinion?

I'm having second thoughts a little bit, I just made a deal with Verizon and I'm wondering if it was a good one. I had a droid razr maxx stop working on me, and I started having problems with the several replacements they sent me. I was persistent with them, I've call what seems 100 times in three weeks, and I finally made a deal with them

I wanted them to sell me a razr maxx hd with a two year contract but I didn't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan, several days have went by trying to get them to let me keep it, and there is no way they are going to allow that. I can't in no way buy a phone out right, my only way is to buy it on a contract.

I told the rep, if I can't have my unlimited data, I would like to have 5gb of data but I didn't want to pay no more on my bill than what I'm paying now, which is $80.00 a month.

They came back at me a few hours ago as I was on the phone with them and they proposed this, they said I could get the razr maxx hd with a two year contract price, and that I could have the 5gb plan at the price I requested but under one deal, I can pay $30 a month for the 5gb plan for 12 months, and the extra $20 of the plan, they would credit my account and give me $240 to spend as I wish, I can put it towards paying for the phone, which is $199 on a two year contract.

I done a ton of research over the three weeks that I have been dealing with Verizon, and from what I gather, Verizon will or MIGHT get rid of the grandfathered unlimited data plan in the up coming years. Most will be off their contracts by 2014, and most will want the latest and greatest phone, most can't afford to fork out full retail to purchase a phone, and will have to buy a phone on contract, therefore having to give up his or her unlimited data plan. As of right now, its just a rumor on the internet, but I find it to have a lot of truth to it, Verizon wants people off its unlimited data because its not making them any money, its costing them money. These new data plans that came out in 2012, its meant to make Verizon money.

Going off this information, I finally decided, with my income, and assuming Verizon will do away with the unlimited data plans, I decided to take the bait they put in front of me. I feel like it was an ok deal, but I'm having second thoughts, what is your guys opinion?
    Look Ma, I gots me a smart phone

My Time Line->Samsung 540->LG VX8300->LG EnV Orange->Storm 1->Droid X->Droid Razr Maxx

Default Re: Made Deal With Vzw, your opinion?

I think it's a good deal. It's a foregone conclusion that every major wireless carrier will get rid of unlimited data within the next 1-2 years. It's pretty impressive that you were able to get any kind of deal from Verizon, to be honest.

I recently switched from my unlimited data plan to a Share Everything plan with 2 GB data/month between 2 lines, and it's been painless. The cost is essentially the same as before, when we were limited to 700 shared voice minutes and 250 texts each per month. Now, we have unlimited voice and text (which is very important for my wife's business), and so far we're only using a total of 1 GB data/month. Our mobile data use is primarily email, browsing, and Android Central stuff (well, that part is from me only). Obviously, if you stream a lot of videos or music, then you'll need more, but hopefully it won't be too difficult to adjust your habits--like maybe loading more media onto your microSD instead of streaming, or being more conscious of wifi hotspots.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's comforting to hear that, I felt like I made a deal with the devil and lost. I hate so much giving up my unlimited data plan, and I had decided that I would fight to keep it no matter what. After doing all the research I done, reading anything verizon related, I felt strongly afterwards that there is no way that I could win, unlimited data I foresee will be a rare thing in the future, therefore I took the deal.

The most I've ever used is 4.5gb and that was one month, usually my usage is 3.5gb a month. I hate knowing a year from now, I'll start paying $50 for limited data that I was paying $30 to use as much as I wanted but essentially getting a free $650 phone makes things feel better for a short while.

My Time Line->Samsung 540->LG VX8300->LG EnV Orange->Storm 1->Droid X->Droid Razr Maxx

I just got rid of unlimited on three lines and switched to the Share Everything 12GB plan. I too felt it was going to be taken away in the not so distant future and I didn't want to pay full price for three phones I had upgrades available on. Only reason I needed the 12GB is my son is in the military and uses the data for his laptop.

I think your deal is ok but since you're giving up your unlimited and changing devices anyway, why don't you get the S4 instead of the razr maxx HD?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I received one replacement maxx, after my original maxx just died, the replacement they sent me, the front facing camera will not even work, I demanded they let me have an equivalent phone to what I had, I love the battery life on the maxx, and I'm a strong believer in Motorola radios, they seem to pick up a cell signal better than any other maker I have tried, LG, and Samsung, Samsung I've really had a bad experience with, that's why I went with the hd, I was totally happy with my razr maxx, and planned to buy it before they did away with the grandfathered plans and it be my last phone for a while, but it didn't happen as planned.

The s4 is a beautiful phone, don't get me wrong, and not to offend anyone, understand that people have different experiences with cell phones. I've always seemed to have good luck with moto phones than any others I've tried.

Yes it's nearly six months old, which is old for a phone, it's dual core when quad core is becoming the thing now, but the fact that it's new, it has the big battery life, and it looks more user friendly (less pretty shiny plastic that scratches easily, like the edges on the razr maxx), that appeals to me. The user interface, I hate on the phone, but I can get use to it, I played around with a demo three weeks ago.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Everyone knows unlimited is on its way out

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

yeah carracerz14, I just learned of it through the three weeks of research. Verizon is trying to free up its network they under estimated how will it could handle the traffic and this is their fix, tiered data plans, it sucks so bad. and then advertise last year, or year before, I can not remember, "because its what our customers want", no it isn't, I totally happy with the way things where and the options they had available. I understand for a large family, being able to share data does save that family money but for one individual such as myself, its the individual that's taking it up the **** without lube. My best means of getting a new phone, is through subsidized pricing, and in order for me to get a new phone, this is one option I have to accept, and guys let me say, it was hard. I like many, said to myself, they are going to have to pry it from my cold dead hands. And to have them advertise to us several years ago, "UNLIMITED DATA", unlimited meaning, use all you want, and then several years later, take away the opportunity for low income individuals whose only means to get a new phone is through a subsidized phone, really really blows.

I know that there is other options out there for the low income individual but it used to be so simple. Unlimited data, decide if you wanted to pay a one year contract price or a two year contract price, and up up and away you went on your merry little way, and Verizon finds a way to stop all that. Some of you may disagree with my logic, and that is fine, you have the right to your opinion, and I respect your opinion.

If you wanted to keep unlimited you could always get a phone from craigslist. Although I'm assuming you probably want a new phone......

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by df79transam View Post
    yeah carracerz14, I just learned of it through the three weeks of research. Verizon is trying to free up its network they under estimated how will it could handle the traffic and this is their fix, tiered data plans, it sucks so bad. and then advertise last year, or year before, I can not remember, "because its what our customers want", no it isn't, I totally happy with the way things where and the options they had available. I understand for a large family, being able to share data does save that family money but for one individual such as myself, its the individual that's taking it up the **** without lube. My best means of getting a new phone, is through subsidized pricing, and in order for me to get a new phone, this is one option I have to accept, and guys let me say, it was hard. I like many, said to myself, they are going to have to pry it from my cold dead hands. And to have them advertise to us several years ago, "UNLIMITED DATA", unlimited meaning, use all you want, and then several years later, take away the opportunity for low income individuals whose only means to get a new phone is through a subsidized phone, really really blows.

I know that there is other options out there for the low income individual but it used to be so simple. Unlimited data, decide if you wanted to pay a one year contract price or a two year contract price, and up up and away you went on your merry little way, and Verizon finds a way to stop all that. Some of you may disagree with my logic, and that is fine, you have the right to your opinion, and I respect your opinion.
    What you don't understand here is that the market has evolved. People no longer use voice very much. Most text or email or video chat. So for any of the carriers there is no money in voice anymore. Hence why all Verizon's new data plans have unlimited voice and tiered data. Your only way around it is to buy a unsubsidized phone and not enter in another contract. If you don't care about which carrier you are on you could always go to Sprint. Just don't be in the top 1% of their data usage or you will get throttled. You could also go to boost mobile and get unlimited everything for $55 a month which can be lowered to $40 if you stay on time with your payments.

Sent from my KFTT using Android Central Forums